What's new

Looking for a Wide Mouth Shaving Mug

Been looking for a wide mouth shaving mug.

The 3.5 openings on most mugs IMHO are just not wide enough.

I saw the "Bill Bowl" on the Dirty Bird Pottery website and it seems to fit my needs.

It has a 4.5 inside diameter and 2.5 inside depth with ridges plus an inverted thumb loop for a secure grip.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

You might try an Apothecary style mug. They flare out to a wide mouth, and have a nice knob on the side as well to hold while working your lather. Edwin Jagger has one as well. Just search for Apothecary mug, and you'll find a few options.

Here's a Colonel Conk one pretty cheap (made by someone else I'm sure).

http://www.amazon.com/Colonel-Conk-...RHG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338639539&sr=8-1

Thanks for the suggestion.

My only concern with a mug like that is it is deep and tapered at the bottom which makes loading somewhat difficult.

Ideally I would like to get a mug with a large opening and a shallow depth.

I have a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl and I really love it. It is large, too large for some, but it sounds like that is what you are looking for! Secure grip with the inverted thumb loop and a subtle lip on the bowl to keep lather inside, rather than climbing the walls. :thumbup:

$Bill Bowl 1.JPG

$DB Test Lather.jpg

I don't use a mug and I am hesitant to add to this because it might not be what you are after ......BUT..... that has never stopped me in the past from putting in my 2¢ and won't this time either so here goes......

I use a two old stainless steel Danish gravy servers that came out of the back of my kitchen cabinet to make lather in. After trying lots of other bowls/mugs these seem to be the best that I have found. They are both marked Leonard Denmark 18/8 (stainless)

The large one is 5 3/4" across by 2 3/4" deep and perfect for my larger brushes like the Polo 12

The smaller one is 5 1/4" across by 2 1/2" deep and perfect for my smaller brushes like the Kent BK8

I've had these two bowls for 20 years or so. Never realized how useful they were until I joined B&B and started looking for more things to make lather in :lol: Before joining B&B I had always face lathered (always as in for the past 45 years)

If these look interesting you can go to the gravy boat section of eBay and type in either Denmark or Danish (or stainless if you want to wade through a whole pile of them) you will come up with a lot of them. The rim on the bottom makes it easy to hold and it catches any lather that over flows the bowl which helps keep things a little less messy in the shave den.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for the suggestion.

My only concern with a mug like that is it is deep and tapered at the bottom which makes loading somewhat difficult.

Ideally I would like to get a mug with a large opening and a shallow depth.

The mugs come up relatively often on eBay. That's where I got mine.

$My Barbershop Mug.jpg

I meant to measure it for you. Sorry.

P. S. About 15 minutes later: mine measures 4" outer lip to outer lip in diameter, and 3 1/4" tall.

Last edited:
I have a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl and I really love it. It is large, too large for some, but it sounds like that is what you are looking for! Secure grip with the inverted thumb loop and a subtle lip on the bowl to keep lather inside, rather than climbing the walls. :thumbup:

View attachment 248078

View attachment 248079

Been a lot of great suggestions however the Dirty Bird mug seems to meet my needs.

I've got small hands and the mug size along with the inverted thumb loop seems like it will work for me.

Top Bottom