What's new

Looking for a new mug...any help?

My favorite mug is the Old Spice style. I only have one (1970's era) and they've gotten way too expensive for my tastes buying vintage. Is there anything that I can find on Amazon or another site that has basically the same proportions as the Old Spice style? Short and wide. It seems like all the things I've looked at are apothecary style mugs that look much taller than what I prefer. A handle would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. I already have a Tabac glass and a MWF container in use and while they're ok, the Old Spice style is what I really like.

Anybody had good luck re-purposing something from the kitchen that may fit the bill? I've bought the large wide mouth cappuccino mugs from the Dollar Tree and like them well enough, except for the height.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

My favorite mug is the Old Spice style. I only have one (1970's era) and they've gotten way too expensive for my tastes buying vintage. Is there anything that I can find on Amazon or another site that has basically the same proportions as the Old Spice style? Short and wide. It seems like all the things I've looked at are apothecary style mugs that look much taller than what I prefer. A handle would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. I already have a Tabac glass and a MWF container in use and while they're ok, the Old Spice style is what I really like.

Anybody had good luck re-purposing something from the kitchen that may fit the bill? I've bought the large wide mouth cappuccino mugs from the Dollar Tree and like them well enough, except for the height.

You might consider a Campbells soup mug sold at Walmart.

Onion soup bowl from the thrift store for 50 cents. Brush for scale.
bowl.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Check out Hyssop Beauty Apothecary and do a search for shaving mug. Support independent business and local artists. Or just search for "apothecary shaving mug".

Last edited:
I haven't had much trouble finding old spice mugs on ebay. They are plentiful. You should be able to find some buy it now and stay under $20.00 including shipping. For about $30 to $35 you can usually also find the slightly larger old spice cobalt blue mug.

That said, what I feel is likely the best mug I have found is the short apothecary style by Fendrihan. You can find them on the Fendrihan web site as well as on Amazon for around $20.

Went looking for a link and it isn't available on Amazon at the moment. Went to Fendrihan and found the ones with a painted rim for $29 and the unpainted ones for $19.

To help understand the scale, the base is the same diameter as essentially the same as the Old Spice mug, as is the height. The big difference is how much it flairs out at the top diameter.

Went looking for a link and it isn't available on Amazon at the moment. Went to Fendrihan and found the ones with a painted rim for $29 and the unpainted ones for $19.

To help understand the scale, the base is the same diameter as essentially the same as the Old Spice mug, as is the height. The big difference is how much it flairs out at the top diameter.
This is what I use. its porcelain so it will retain heat but not long enough for a three pass shave.

Fantastic. Thanks a bunch. This is what I'm looking for. It seems that the majority of the cheap ones on Amazon are way too high.

It also appears that a lot of people (sellers, etc.) think that a mug and a lather bowl are the same thing. That makes looking on-line for what I need even harder.

Again, thank you for taking the time.

My go-to are apothecary mugs. They make it easy to start building lather on the puck without spilling all over the place. Lots of versions available. I use a couple Van Der Hagen (VDH) mugs (see back of my MWF photo below). If still in stock at a Bed Bath and Beyond nearby you can pick up VDH shaving set with one of these for about $14/$11 if you have a coupon. Added bonus of a VDH boar brush and Luxury shave soap. Lots of other apothecary mug options on Amazon.

Thanks for all the replies. On a whim today, I stopped in at an Ollie's Bargain Outlet store and found this mug. Similar in size to the Old Spice mug next to it. They had shelves of them for $2 each. I picked up two to try out. Seems like it'll work pretty well. 👍

20221226_182541.jpg

Top Bottom