What's new

Flat Top Brushes

Have yet to use a flat top brush but I'm considering purchasing one. Don't know but...would think the brush hair would act more like a circular fan using more of the the center hairs as opposed to the outer hair (if that makes any since?) Am I crazy?
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience they would like to share.

Thanks,

Neal

I have Shavemac D01 Extreme flat top in two band that I put in a favorite handle that had served me well for years. It continues to do so in a very good way. This brush is a real soap eater and a pleasure to use. Mine is a 22 mm knot set at 44 mm and it is one of my favorite brushes for soaps. I have only used it for creams a time or two but it does well with them as well.

Regards,

Doug

they tend to splay more and feel bigger on the face for a given knot size. it's a different feel and worth trying if you are into brushes and like to face lather

they tend to splay more and feel bigger on the face for a given knot size. it's a different feel and worth trying if you are into brushes and like to face lather

Bill is spot on!

I have have a few FAN shaped knots from Thater, Rooney and M&F (and some hybrids from Simpsons).

The FAN definitely feels bigger on the face than the same size knot in bulb. It splays more, feeling less dense and less concentrated on the face. I find flow through is improved with FAN.

See this thread for my observations on a Thater FAN vs BULB, both 26x55mm knot:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/287818-A-Tale-of-3-Thaters?p=4067492#post4067492

(post #33 onwards)

My Shavemac D01 is 22/48 and I'm pleased with its unique properties. It really splays and feels big on the face if pressed. I mostly like using the tips for painting. I don't have any problem using it with soaps and a bowl.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love flattops, that being said, I recommend the D01 Two band hair as it is much stiffer than the three band. I have a three band in fan and it is one of my two top brushes. The flattop three band I have is too soft to be a flattop. I set the 24 mm knot at about 46/47 mm loft, and this is way too long for this hair. To be very effective, I think it would needed to be about 40 mm loft.
I think Chrisss has made the same experience.
The two-band, however, is the perfect hair for this kind of brush. My recommendation for size would be 18-22 mm, with the sweet spot at about 20 mm. To much bigger than 22 mm will feel sometimes uncomfortable. The 20 mm I have feels like at least a 26/28 mm brush with a fan shape.

Indeed, I had a 20/44 in D01 3 bands and it was pretty floppy IMO, i will retry a flat top in 2 bands for more backbone and 20X40 for measurements.

$117.jpg
This is my restored Vulfix Burlington handle with a Shavemac D01 two band extreme flat top knot that I purchased from Rudy Vey. The knot is 22 mm set at a 44 mm loft. It is a fantastic brush that is a real soap eater with a great face feel. I really like the handle and knot combination of this brush and find myself reaching for it frequently.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom