What's new

boar or badger

So when I started this adventure many moons ago, I had an Omega professional to start with. Did a fine job. Then I moved on to Badgers. Haven't really looked back since. As of late however, there are many on the boards that swear that boar is better. How is this? They take longer to get going, generally do not give as much scrub as a short lofted badger, and are an inferior knot. I can never get enough lather for a four pass shave with boar. Maybe three. Badger just gives and gives and gives.

Strange...I hear this a lot. I don't seem to have the same problem with boar. They may be lather hogs for the first 10 or so shaves. Afterwards they are an extreme pleasure to use.

Boar is Cheaper.

Boar once broken in is soft.

Boar can be stiffer for soaps.

Boars can lather well.

Boars can be broken in.

I get 4 passes or more from my Boar Brushes.

why choose:

$wm_normal_img_4947.jpg

I love my Semogue 620. Give a Semogue a try, and if you don't like it, you're out $10 or so.

I'm sure a $150 Chubby is a better brush, but I love my 620 and see no reason to trade up.

I'm with you. I have tried a few "high-end" boars. They are OK, but not in the class of a good badger brush.

Boars seem to me as a more versatile brush than most badgers. I own an assortment of badgers, boars, and horsehairs. Must say I rate them in overall "one-size-fits-allness"-
Horsehair
Boar
Badger

Now this may change when I take delivery of a new Omega Synthetic Badger. I have heard precious little about the new age synthetic fibers (except for a few bits about the Muhle synthetic). Anyone have first hand opinion on the new Omega Synthetics? Superior Shave speaks highly of them................

The one advantage for a boar brush may be with hard soaps worked up in soap dish, hand or on face. However, a badger is still my preference especially when using creams in a lathering bowl. Can you spell uberlather. :)

So when I started this adventure many moons ago, I had an Omega professional to start with. Did a fine job. Then I moved on to Badgers. Haven't really looked back since. As of late however, there are many on the boards that swear that boar is better. How is this? They take longer to get going, generally do not give as much scrub as a short lofted badger, and are an inferior knot. I can never get enough lather for a four pass shave with boar. Maybe three. Badger just gives and gives and gives.

I have 2 boar brushes, two badgers and a horse. The boars are showing themselves to be my favorites. I like the way they feel on my face, soft but not mushy. They make great lather from both soaps and creams. I get a nice thick coating of lather more easily from my boars than my short lofted silvertip, which is a lather hog. I don't think one or the other is better in an objective sense, it's all down to whatever the individual user finds most enjoyable.

Looking at the bold text above, I don't see how you can make your claims having had only one boar brush and when you were a newbie.

My dad was always a boar guy (and still is at 97) but for the last four decades or so I've used badger exclusively. Then a few weeks ago I'm in a shop here in NY & picked up an Omega Boar to try out (sorry don't remember the model number but it has a cool clear & red handle and cost ~$15.00). I figured that like most boars it would take some shaves for it to break in but don't have any idea how long the process is. Now let me explain that I hate scritch and I'm not even fond of brushes that are more than slightly scrubby and actually prefer no scrub. So I only get through half the first pass when I had to put it down as it felt like I was shredding my face. It did whip up a great lather however. So my question to you boar mavens is how can I break in & soften this brush without having to use it in the traditional way? I'd rather stick a dental drill in my eye than use this on my face again before it is broken in. I almost threw it away but figured it would make a nice change of pace if I could only get past this stage.

So my question to you boar mavens is how can I break in & soften this brush without having to use it in the traditional way? I'd rather stick a dental drill in my eye than use this on my face again before it is broken in. I almost threw it away but figured it would make a nice change of pace if I could only get past this stage.

Soak it in hot water daily, do a palm lather with the soap of your choice, and let it dry out. Literally, lather, rinse, repeat.

It should start to break in within a few days. Only you will be able to say when it's broken in enough for you to enjoy.

Soak it in hot water daily, do a palm lather with the soap of your choice, and let it dry out. Literally, lather, rinse, repeat.

It should start to break in within a few days. Only you will be able to say when it's broken in enough for you to enjoy.

OK thanks! I'll give it a try.

OK thanks! I'll give it a try.

test lather it each night and allow to dry 24hrs. then do it again and again and again. you can use on days you want to, but until it's to your liking, just keep doing test lathers and allow it to fully dry. it's the drying that split the tips and makes it soft.

my LE2 and SOC are as soft or softer then my badgers.

grab one of your least favorite soaps/creams and/or one you don't get good shaves from and beat the crap out of it with test lathers...you'll be rewarded with a very soft boar brush that will give your badgers (yes, even your M&F brushes) a run for their money.

I let mine dry 48 hrs between use, as 24 just didn't seem to let it fully dry, but ymmv...it took me about 20 days to get it good and broke in at that rate

Call me odd, but I got an Omega Professional #49 a while ago and from the 1st time I used it I didn't feel any scratches or scrubbyness on my face.
Are badger brushes really *that* soft?

Call me odd, but I got an Omega Professional #49 a while ago and from the 1st time I used it I didn't feel any scratches or scrubbyness on my face.
Are badger brushes really *that* soft?

the good ones are...as are the good boars.

i didn't care for the Omega 49 either, but it was my 1st boar and i probably didn't break it in, or even know about break in.

now i rotate between my boars and badger, usually alternating days to allow them all to dry.

I have 2 boar brushes, two badgers and a horse. The boars are showing themselves to be my favorites. I like the way they feel on my face, soft but not mushy. They make great lather from both soaps and creams. I get a nice thick coating of lather more easily from my boars than my short lofted silvertip, which is a lather hog. I don't think one or the other is better in an objective sense, it's all down to whatever the individual user finds most enjoyable.

Looking at the bold text above, I don't see how you can make your claims having had only one boar brush and when you were a newbie.

Sorry if I was unclear, but I have used more that the Omega professional. All told I have used about 6 different boar brushes, all varying Omega's. I have never tried Semogue, but do not see much point. Omega makes a good brush. My biggest issue with boar is I never have enough lather to finish all the passes I may like to do. And before everyone tells me my boar technique must be wrong, I've been doing this awhile, and in the beginning have as much lather as with a badger. I think the boar just gives lot's up easily as opposed to badger being a little stingy, therefore lasting through a shave by always giving up the right amount of lather. It's sort of self regulating, if you will.

Top Bottom