What's new

Admitting ignorance, need advice

Ok, here's my situation. After 4+ decades of pin-balling around different methods of shaving, from electric shavers to bazillion-bladed razors, I've returned to my roots. I'm back to shaving with my old (kind of like me) Gillette Tech. Occasionally, I'll use other old safety razors as well. Trouble is, my shaving brush doesn't match the feel and precision of my blades and razors. My old Ever-Ready BP 500 shaving brush is too soft, and the synthetic Burma Shave brush that my wife gave me for my last birthday is too hard. I guess I'm sounding like Goldilocks wanting something "just right". I like my grandfather's old Rubberset 200-4, but it wanders all over my face, feeling like I'm lathering with my high school girlfriend's ponytail. Please, some suggestions for a better brush! BTW, I'm willing to spend $25 to $75 - ok, maybe more - for a brush that will be reasonably stiff (without being abrasive) for precision, with good lather and moisture transference, and durable (though not too much so since I am, after all, 60 yrs old this year and have had 4 strokes).

A Rooney 3/1 (style 3/ size 1) in super is a decent brush that is an all around jack of all trades. About $83 with shipping when I bought mine. Or you could look into a Simpson. My Wee Scot Best Badger feels nice, so get a Duke or something or other in best. That sounds about your price range. Hope this helps and others can give you more knowledge!

I'll second the Rooney 3/1

Also a Morris & Forndran size one Blonde badger.

Shavemac in Finest

Stick to a bulb shaped knot for precision. And I would suggest a 2band hair, it's a little firmer.

Muehle Silvertip fiber. Does everything I ask of it and it is my favorite brush. Better than my Simpsons Berkeley Best.

reasonably stiff (without being abrasive) for precision, with good lather and moisture transference, and durable

Sounds like a good quality boar brush to me. Semogue or Omega should fix you up nicely if you think of that as an option.

Heck, you could probably get a nice boar and a fairly nice badger for your budget if you are careful.

Too many options, but for me, Semogue 830 boar. Great backbone, very soft tips when broken in, and cheap. Fantastic overall brush, have never found one comparable for the money and what it can do! Just my opinion, though.
Good luck.

Too many options, but for me, Semogue 830 boar. Great backbone, very soft tips when broken in, and cheap. Fantastic overall brush, have never found one comparable for the money and what it can do! Just my opinion, though.
Good luck.

+1 on a great boar

All great suggestions and giving me lines of research. Just some questions.

PozzSka, what does this mean "Stick to a bulb shaped knot for precision"? How do I know what kind of knot is in a brush?

Also, OkieStubble, how do I replace the knot in the Rubberset brush?

A Rooney 3/1 from Vintage Blades was my first brush. It's a great with creams or soaps, and it is works well with bowl or face lathering. I highly recommend the 3/1.

If you prefer to face lather, I recommend a Simpson Duke 2 or Duke 3 in Best.

I'm also in my 60's and have been through about 16 brushes in less than 3 years. My first good brush was a Rooney 3/1 Super which was my only brush for about a year. Then I went for smaller, stiffer Simpsons and the Rooney sat unused for a year before I rediscovered how good it is. I'm currently rotating the Rooney and a Simpson Rover. Both are great brushes. The Rover is stiffer, with less splay than the Rooney, but it's currently out of stock.

Lots of advice here, some of it was spot on. The two band badger answers are going to serve your request best. Personally I think petr hit the nail on the head with his recommendations. Too bad Jarrod at The Superior Shave only has one Emperor to choose from. I love buying from Jarrod very much, but that one example left isn't impressive. West Coast Shaving, another of our supporting vendors has all 3 sizes of that brush in stock right now. I'd probably recommend a size 2. Unlike some brushes, this ones sizes are very close in knot size, it's handle grows more than the knot. I have a size 1 that has a 21.5mm knot.
Coupon code BANDB brings it down to 112.50. The bulb shape is going to give you the precision you asked about that PozzSka mentioned over a fan shape. The two band hair is going to provide the "backbone" and this particular Badger hair has wonderfully soft tips. No one seems to know where this hair came from, it's a recent offering, in my opinion one of Simpsons most wonderful. I know we are over budget, but I think you'll be very pleased. Awesome bowl latherer, more than enough backbone to very effectively face lather, fantastic handle. Truly a Goldilocks brush.

Just my 2 cents. :smartass:

Last edited:
Top Bottom