What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Wow, gentlemen, those are some very nice razors that you received from Phil! Congrats and thanks for sharing the pictures.
Therefore, as i promised, here are some pictures of the newly acquired British Aristocrats #15s and a #66.
Enjoy and Happy Fathers Day to all you fathers!

Nice!

*Thanks, Ray, Robin, Johnnie, et al for the comments on the razors. i have to agree with all of you that they are very nice and the #15s shave beautifully!

*Gary, as always, great info on the case and fantastic razors. Be warned, the more pictures i see of them, the more tempting they become, my friend.:wink2:

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone, and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the fathers.

*Thanks, Ray, Robin, Johnnie, et al for the comments on the razors. i have to agree with all of you that they are very nice and the #15s shave beautifully!

*Gary, as always, great info on the case and fantastic razors. Be warned, the more pictures i see of them, the more tempting they become, my friend.:wink2:

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone, and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the fathers.

I think I need to have a road trip to Vancouver....visit some sites....catch up with some friends up there.....meet up with my BOTOC brother and show you this great magic trick I know......how to make a British set vanish!! :lol:

Would love to hear a review how it performs compared to your other Open combs......I just love the look.....they are stunning.....Happy Fathers day to you brother and to all of my BOTOC brothers that are Fathers out there!!

Today's Shave went down a smooth as butter!

proxy.php

Today's Shave went down a smooth as butter!

proxy.php

I have to ask about your blades.....I have NEVER heard of Big Ben blades....but yet they seem to be a favored blade of yours....how do the perform next to some of the well loved blades here?? Blades such as the Gillette blacks, Super Iridiums, Israeli Personnas, etc????

I have to ask about your blades.....I have NEVER heard of Big Ben blades....but yet they seem to be a favored blade of yours....how do the perform next to some of the well loved blades here?? Blades such as the Gillette blacks, Super Iridiums, Israeli Personnas, etc????

These are my testing blades. They are made by Lord. They are in my DE Blade Challenge.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Challenge-II?highlight=DE+Blade+Challenge+II

That will show you how I thought they stacked up in my Slim against other blades in a controlled test.

You can see that in the Slim my overall testing is below 80%. They are not the sharpest blade. However, they had a smooth quality to them. They were not high performing in the Slim, but I used one in my 1930s Floating Head PAL and for the first time, got a great shave with it. That razor by other accounts is 80-90% as aggressive as the R-41. I ordered 200 of them from Connaught and they have become my go to first time test blade for razors that I have not used before or I know to be aggressive. This blade is well suited for those who want to move into the open combs without going aggressive razor / aggressive blade.

Last edited:
These are my testing blades. They are made by Lord. They are in my DE Blade Challenge.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Challenge-II?highlight=DE+Blade+Challenge+II

That will show you how I thought they stacked up in my Slim against other blades in a controlled test.

You can see that in the Slim my overall testing is below 80%. They are not the sharpest blade. However, they had a smooth quality to them. They were not high performing in the Slim, but I used one in my 1930s Floating Head PAL and for the first time, got a great shave with it. That razor by other accounts is 80-90% as aggressive as the R-41. I ordered 200 of them from Connaught and they have become my go to first time test blade. This blade is well suited for those who want to move into the open combs without going aggressive razor / aggressive blade.

More great information from you GD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may have to pick up a few and try....sometimes I want a mild and smooth blade.....my problem is most mild blades aren't as sharp and pull and tug like crazy on my face....

My brother loves the Lord SS....are these similar?? I've tried them and they are....ok...even blades like Astra's....I can only use in a few razors....they work well in the Fatip and R41, but pull and tug in my Slim or even my Superspeed.

More great information from you GD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may have to pick up a few and try....sometimes I want a mild and smooth blade.....my problem is most mild blades aren't as sharp and pull and tug like crazy on my face....

My brother loves the Lord SS....are these similar?? I've tried them and they are....ok...even blades like Astra's....I can only use in a few razors....they work well in the Fatip and R41, but pull and tug in my Slim or even my Superspeed.

I have tested both. Big Ben would be the more sedate version of the Lord Super Stainless.
I think that Lord was using a aggressive / less aggressive approach but the Big Ben blades fade smooth. In fact they were the blade that I cranked my Slim at the highest mark in the testing because they faded so elegantly.

Last edited:

You can see that in the Slim my overall testing is below 80%. They are not the sharpest blade. However, they had a smooth quality to them. They were not high performing in the Slim, but I used one in my 1930s Floating Head PAL and for the first time, got a great shave with it. That razor by other accounts is 80-90% as aggressive as the R-41. I ordered 200 of them from Connaught and they have become my go to first time test blade for razors that I have not used before or I know to be aggressive. This blade is well suited for those who want to move into the open combs without going aggressive razor / aggressive blade.

Just read your killer reviews.....Was shocked how my favorite blade was rated so high!!!! I've been praising the Supermax Super Platinum to everyone and its nice to see since a intensive review that shows how great that blade is!!!

Best bang for buck period. I've used blades cost three times as much that weren't as sharp or smooth!

Just read your killer reviews.....Was shocked how my favorite blade was rated so high!!!! I've been praising the Supermax Super Platinum to everyone and its nice to see since a intensive review that shows how great that blade is!!!

Best bang for buck period. I've used blades cost three times as much that weren't as sharp or smooth!

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed my DE Blade Challenge.

Some people on various forums have been using it a reference materials and as a guide to compare what they use to other potential blades.

$SOTD 6_16_2012 1.jpg

I used the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, again today. Because I got a weeper with the first pass, I then had to be more careful shaving with the New Standard than with the Aristocrat yesterday. After a three pass (WTG and a two-direction XTG), I received a near BBS shave. I'll try this blade with some other razors but it seems to be a good one.

It was that man who infected me with B.A.D.

His review pointed me to the Lords and Supermax brands. A few hundred blades in inventory later, the stainless blades from these companies are very nice and not terribly expensive.

Thanks for the information GD. it looks as though you put a tremendous amount of work into this test. As a newbie to DE shaving, this information is one more tool in my effort to discover the correct blades for me.

Thanks for the information GD. it looks as though you put a tremendous amount of work into this test. As a newbie to DE shaving, this information is one more tool in my effort to discover the correct blades for me.

+1....that info should become a sticky.....great blade information for beginner or experienced shaver..!

I picked a few more to add to my collection and will post pictures when I clean them up , But I will probably not be adding to my collection unless i find a really special one for a while.

Here is my new little Evans and another pocket $black case evans.jpg$empire silver.jpg

Top Bottom