What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

This morning I was able to try out the New short comb with a new 7 o'clock blue blade. This time the shave was much better then with the first shave and old blade. I was able to once again achieve a 2 pass and one little touch up. I have come to decide that I do like the long comb just a little better then the short comb.
Once Bob is back up in service, I want to order his Gillette New long comb with the Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle, and I will get rid of the short comb and maybe the long comb I have now depending on how smooth the BRW razor really shaves. Having more then two users drives me crazy because I cannot decide day to day which one to use that morning.

This morning I was able to try out the New short comb with a new 7 o'clock blue blade. This time the shave was much better then with the first shave and old blade. I was able to once again achieve a 2 pass and one little touch up. I have come to decide that I do like the long comb just a little better then the short comb.
Once Bob is back up in service, I want to order his Gillette New long comb with the Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle, and I will get rid of the short comb and maybe the long comb I have now depending on how smooth the BRW razor really shaves. Having more then two users drives me crazy because I cannot decide day to day which one to use that morning.
wow, dont forget to post pics of that beauty w the Deluxe handle.

Hi,

I just ordered one off the UK E-bay. About $40 U.S.
Because I don't have the Fatip yet I can't say what the difference is. I can say that my R41 is my favorite razor so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FATTIP-GR...L&hash=item3a737147d2&clk_rvr_id=339654583160
very nice
proxy.php

Wow that sounds awesome. I get the same results from my R41. How much does the Bull Mastiff wiegh?

Where can you buy a fatip?? What is the major difference from the R41? Is it the year the head was made?
I am confused as to exactly what is a fatip?

Maguire's Barbershop on eBay is the only place I know outside of Italy currently selling Fatip razors.

The main difference is that the R41 isn't technically an Open Comb, even though it shaves very much like one - it's known as a "tooth comb". If you have a look at the pictures here, you can see that there is a continuous bar, like a safety bar razor, but it has comb-like "teeth" on it. The Fatip has a full Open Comb head.

Mühle used to make razors with the same head as the Fatip (but better finished and plated) - I think they were the pre-2009 R41 and an early R89?

Maguire's Barbershop on eBay is the only place I know outside of Italy currently selling Fatip razors.

The main difference is that the R41 isn't technically an Open Comb, even though it shaves very much like one - it's known as a "tooth comb". If you have a look at the pictures here, you can see that there is a continuous bar, like a safety bar razor, but it has comb-like "teeth" on it. The Fatip has a full Open Comb head.

Mühle used to make razors with the same head as the Fatip (but better finished and plated) - I think they were the pre-2009 R41 and an early R89?
It is known as a closed comb , Fatip stopped making the heads for the Muele Co. in 2009.....
EXAMPLE:

Chrome Traditional Razor (Closed Comb) razor by Muehle http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Traditional-Razor-Closed-Muehle/dp/B002HSK6UC

Last edited:
I know, and Gillette calls the fat-boy a 195 adjustable....However, in shave world we all go for the known term of closed comb for the Muele or other branded combed razors, its like 90 % of what B&B has it listed under, even though Muele calls it tooth comb, We still refer to it as closed comb. Maybe its a habit thing.

We still refer to it as closed comb.

Is that the royal "We"? :wink:

Maybe its a habit thing

Probably, but people often refer to a standard safety bar razor as a "closed comb" too, probably because "closed" is the opposite of "open", and that makes no sense at all because there's no comb at all. So I think "closed comb" is ambiguous, and I honestly don't think there's a simple label that adequately distinguishes them, especially with the R41 being unique.

Much better to rely on description and illustration, I think.

Is that the royal "We"? :wink:

Probably, but people often refer to a standard safety bar razor as a "closed comb" too, probably because "closed" is the opposite of "open", and that makes no sense at all because there's no comb at all. So I think "closed comb" is ambiguous, and I honestly don't think there's a simple label that adequately distinguishes them, especially with the R41 being unique.

Much better to rely on description and illustration, I think.
well, the tooth comb actually has a comb and tooth like bar, hence the term tooth comb, the closed comb do have teeth, but they are kinda webbed together hence the term closed comb.

Attachments

• $r41_01.jpg
    $r41_01.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 64
  • $r41_01gggg.jpg
    $r41_01gggg.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 64
  • $MK_1007_detailjjjj.jpg
    $MK_1007_detailjjjj.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 64
Had my first go with the R41 this morning. After I got the bleeding stopped, I had a super close shave! Let's just say there is going to be a learning curve!

well, the tooth comb actually has a comb and tooth like bar, hence the term tooth comb, the closed comb do have teeth, but they are kinda webbed together hence the term closed comb.

Yep, that's true - I think the terms "tooth comb" and "closed comb" do both actually describe the R41 well. I just think that the popular usage of "closed comb" to refer to any safety bar razor can make it ambiguous.

Nice pics, btw - they illustrate the difference between the R41 and an open comb well.

Last edited:
Had my first go with the R41 this morning. After I got the bleeding stopped, I had a super close shave! Let's just say there is going to be a learning curve!

Sounds like my shave last night. I will give it this, almost 15 hours later I have close to a DFS, more than presentable to go out in public. I may actually skip a day of shaving, which I have not done in over 5 months.

Don't make me drive up is MS and give you a R41 shaving lessons!!! LOL

Johnnie...light light touch! way different angle than the new....what blade did you use?????? I can't use the Gillette Yellow in the r41...leaves my face feeling raw....

we will have to do a survey of blood types here on B&B...get a few pints overnighted to you just in case.

The R41 is a GREAT RAZOR!!!! I'm waiting to hearing Johnnie's impressions..... IMO it gives the closest DE shave one can attain.
Yes, R41 IS a great razor, but I get the fastest, best and longest lasting BBS's with my Futur (the ugliest razor I've ever seen) and my birthday Fatboy.

Attachments

• $Best_BBS_800.jpg
    $Best_BBS_800.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 57
  • $Best_BBS.jpg
    $Best_BBS.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom