What's new

Any good performing Fern/fougere shaving soaps?

I've got Penhaligon's English Fern (unfortunately the current offering rather than he tallow one) and although it smells fantastic the performance is sadly lacking. So what other fougere scented shaving soaps are out there for me to try?

The English Fern non-tallow version can be shredded and mixed with an equal part of Palmolive soap. (1/2 of a puck of EF mixed with 1 stick of Palmolive works out just about right.) This creates a great lathering soap that smells like English Fern. Yes, it works. No, I didn't come up with this excellent idea.

i thought the current EF soap was actually pretty good. i had no reservations about it's performance. It killed soaps like cade for me. however, can always add a dab of some unscented cream.. or unscented MdC.

Maybe try Fitjar's Bregneskog shaving soap? It's a fern fragrance, and a good one in my opinion. I have the cream (more like a croap) and it performs well, I'm not sure about the soap though.

We need a razorock fern soap. Toddy what color was your puck of salter? The puck I got recently is just a lavender eau de cologne scent. Definitely not fern. Performance was horrid as well.

The Cyril Salter soap that I have is definitely a light lavender scent that is very pleasant. In keeping with the ever present YMMV, I have had excellent results with this soap. I get mounds of very excellent lather that produces a fine and enjoyable shave. Some on this forum say that it is the same as Truefitt & Hill Luxury soap. While I can not speak to the veracity of that statement, it is none the less a fine soap in my view.

Regards,

Doug

Maybe try Fitjar's Bregneskog shaving soap? It's a fern fragrance, and a good one in my opinion. I have the cream (more like a croap) and it performs well, I'm not sure about the soap though.

Fitjars soap was a big disappointment to me. The lather was weak. Plus half the ingredients aren't even soap so I'd expect amazing performance with all the additives...

I have great fortune with the new EF formulation and it is high on the list for a permanent spot in my rotation. I have a Palmolive stick coming and about enough EF left to make a mix though... interesting.

I'd rather not go mixing products together, either whilst lathering or to make a mixed puck. I do have an unopened stick of Erasmic in the stash, which I've never got around to trying, I wasn't aware it was a fougere scent, so I'll give at a try. I've got some excellent performing soaps like MdC, La Toja, Dr Dittmar and ideally would like a soap on the same level as those.

Erasmic stick isn't fern scented to my nose. I think what you are asking for doesnt really exist. Fitjar creams are excellent...if you don't mind a cream I'd probably go for that. Other than that you might want to make a request to your favorite artisan or independent soap maker...I'd love to see someone like Nannys or Calani do a proper fougere scented soap.

I had considered asking Sharon (Nanny's Silly Soap) if she'd have a stab a it, I'm sure it would be popular. I just thought I'd check out if anything was commercially available first.

Top Bottom