What's new

Do you go ATG with your R41?

Do you go ATG with your R41?

• Yes. I fear no razor.

• No. WTG & XTG gets the job done for me.

• I object to this poll!

Results are only viewable after voting.
P

pdillon

Mantic's video and the related thread got me thinking about going ATG with the R41. Personally, 2 passes gets the job done for me. I hear that often from other members, so I'm wondering who here goes ATG.

I do ATG , but same as litespeedone, I don't do so on my upper lip (nor do I do that with any razor). I just do a couple a WTG and XTG pass there. Otherwise, WTG, WTG, ATG, ATG for my passes ( and one of the WTG may not be necessary..experimenting with that). That gets me so close with the R41 it's just crazy smooth.

Now, if I just want a DFS... I can do that with WTG, XTG, easy. The R41's the only razor I can do that with - other require an ATG added on to get to DFS.

Last edited:
Yes I go ATG with the R41...very, very lightly :biggrin1: I think once you find the angle and blade combo that works well for you with the R41, there is no reason to fear this razor. Today though, loaded with a Super Iridium I only needed ONE pass and did a combo ATG/XTG type of scrubbing and had a great shave...see my post here

Last edited:
I always do a full pass ATG on my neck and under my jaw. Everywhere else, I go WTG and XTG (sometimes in both directions). If I don't end up with a BBS shave, I will do a little buffing in all directions where needed. The only place I absolutely won't go against the grain is above my lip.

Yes ATG with the R41 aka blood quencher. I only do this in certain areas though never on the upper lip or the chin. Those areas I do a XTG at a slightly upward angle if that makes sense.

Jason

Last edited:
Yes, I do my usual routine of WTG, ATG, ATG even with the R41. Could get DFS with only WTG, ATG. The 2nd ATG is a virtual guarantee of BBS.

I must also point out that I have a mustache and goatee, so I don't have to worry about shaving my upper lip or chin.

Yes, I use it ATG on the full face, upper lip included. But oh-so-slowly and carefully on those most tender bits, with plenty of good lather.

pshhh...light weights. I go ATG off handed with my eyes shut and a feather blade. Geez.

I do not go ATG on the upper lip with any razor. I am a lightly mustachioed gent. In fact, by the time Movember ended people thought I was just a late starter.

Yes, I do my usual routine of WTG, ATG, ATG even with the R41. Could get DFS with only WTG, ATG. The 2nd ATG is a virtual guarantee of BBS.

I must also point out that I have a mustache and goatee, so I don't have to worry about shaving my upper lip or chin.

If you look at my avatar...well unlike most members, I use my own picture.... that is me.....I haven't shaved under my nose in years!

I do ATG , but same as litespeedone, I don't do so on my upper lip (nor do I do that with any razor). I just do a couple a WTG and XTG pass there. Otherwise, WTG, WTG, ATG, ATG for my passes ( and one of the WTG may not be necessary..experimenting with that). That gets me so close with the R41 it's just crazy smooth.

Now, if I just want a DFS... I can do that with WTG, XTG, easy. The R41's the only razor I can do that with - other require an ATG added on to get to DFS.
+1
This. Exactly this.

If you look at my avatar...well unlike most members, I use my own picture.... that is me.....I haven't shaved under my nose in years!

Wait, so a Simpson's character, Ron Burgandy, and Ronald Rgegan aren't members here? Oh the lies I have been telling :scared: Trust me,I have a face for the internet.

I am jealous, I can not grow a stache past the 13 year old just starting to sprout hair phase. Its odd, my dad has had a full beard and stache forever.

I use the R41 the same is I use all of my DEs - WTG then ATG, including the 'stache area. The trickiest spot for me is actually the angle between the lower lip and chin.

Proper angle, no pressure, good lather - get this right and this razor is nothing to fear.

Wait, so a Simpson's character, Ron Burgandy, and Ronald Rgegan aren't members here? Oh the lies I have been telling :scared: Trust me,I have a face for the internet.

I am jealous, I can not grow a stache past the 13 year old just starting to sprout hair phase. Its odd, my dad has had a full beard and stache forever.

LMAO!! Trust me...it is NOT a blessing...I can have a BBS shave for 10-heck maybe even 12 hrs with the R41...but someting happens while I sleep...the whisker fairies must come out out and Ahhhh!!!:scared: I wake up looking like a bum!! I can shave off my goatee and stache and by the end of the week you would never guess I shaved it off...my beard grows thick and fast...If I stopped shaving for a bit I could probably get on the IFC show " Whisker Wars" and have that whole zztop vibe going:scared:

and some people think we have a weird hobby...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ATG is a very light stroke for me. Feeling like I'm cutting half with whiskers at a time. I use mutliple light passes but get no irritation or weepers if I am gentle enough. Then I have a smooth face for 12hrs as opposed to less then 8hrs with anything else, no matter how many passes I use. I just whish the R41 had a shorter and heavier handle, then I would probably use nothing else.
I did get a great shave from a french Lecoq single ring clone this AM though almost as close as the R41.
Aaron

I use R41 like any other razor, but with a lighter touch. I am always aware that it is my most aggressive razor but other than that... it is just a razor.
I always have two passes, first XTG and second ATG. My most difficult spots are: lower lip and my cleft chin

On the other hand, hair on my neck grows in weird patterns/swirls that would make impossible to choose: WTG/XTG/ATG.

Top Bottom