What's new

How much did You pay for Your Gillette Slim Adjustable ?

I got mine on BST for $20-25 US about a year and a half ago. I have forgotten the exact price. It was money well spent.

I think I paid a grand total of $15 for an ebay lot that had a slim, two gillette brass blade holders, an unusable straight and a nifty mustache comb which I still use.

I got mine on BST about two years ago as part of a four razor lot. I payed $40 shipped for the Slim, a Ball-end Tech, NDC Superspeed and a Gem Featherweight.

Less than $5 - but I bought it around 1960 and I don't recall the exact price I paid. Still using it today. :thumbsup:

I think $20-25 is fair value based on condition. I found another one yesterday in an antique store for $4, still holding an old blade and covered with dried gunk. A little dish soap and hot water soak, a dip in Mar-V-Cide solution, a bit of Flitz polish, and it's new all over again. It even has all the paint in the numbers. Rescue work is so rewarding!

I spent $35.00 for one in really good shape, and $22 for one in good shape except a finger tip size brassing on the handle...both on the bay this year you kind find some nice Rhodium plated ones in the $79-$100 range on the bay...

If you can find one out in the wild, or on BST you will find better prices....but on BST they seem to go within seconds!

I've got a couple of them, and I think I paid in the $25-$30 range for each, in very good condition. This would have been about 8 months ago.

If I remember correctly about $12.50 on eBay about a year and a half ago for my first DE razor. This is the most I paid for any razor in my collection. I've either been lucky, quick or frugal since then, or maybe all three. I raided my 85 year old grandfathers place for and came away with a 1951 Superspeed, 1954 Superspeed flair tip, 1972 black beauty adjustable and a Gem bullet tip. Came accross a nice load of stuff a while back at a yard sale and paid $3 each for a 1961 fat boy, three very good condition straights and a Swatty Hone. Plus a few more finds at flea markets, but never more than $5.

I have to say, you won't always find better prices "in the wild." I do plenty of searching there and the prices are all over the map. Sure, we all hear about the guy who finds a dozen cased mint Fatboys or Slims for a couple of bucks, but no one brags about the hours spent going through shop after shop with nothing to show for it, or seeing common razors for crazy prices (not to mention the "rare early Techs!" I have found that the self-regulating nature of BST pricing is a pretty reliable barometer if you're looking for the "going rate." Now as far as what people here paid for their own Slims - let's hear it! Most of the Slims I see lately are $20-30 or more if in great condition. And I still feel that's a great price for a permanent acquisition.

$0 - my wife found in a house that she was cleaning out for her brother. No packaging, but in excellent condition. She found a Sheraton at the same time.

$2.50. At an antique store in rural Texas the owner had a Mexican ball-end Tech and a Slim. They looked awful (dirty). He asked $10 for both. I offered $5, plus I was buying something else for which I didn't haggle. Deal. Both cleaned up beautifully.

Steve

I bought 3 of them new (1970, 1980, and in 1983). Every time I moved I could not find where I packed it so bought another one. If I want to remember when I moved I just look at the code dates on my black beauties :lol:

I think I paid between $2.00 and $4.00 for them when they were new.

I have two of the original uncolored Slims that cost a couple of dollars each in the mid-1960s, and one of the "regular length" black handled versions from only slightly later on, for perhaps a dollar more. I've had all three since new, and haven't been thinking of selling one. I made half a dozen moves from 1963 to 1969, so it's possible I ran into a similar situation. A new razor just wasn't so very expensive then.

Top Bottom