What's new

How often do you change your blade?

I realize this answer may change with the blade type and razor, but how often do you change your blade on average. I'm currently changing blades every 3 shaves. I'm sure I could get more out of the Astras sp but I'd rather use a new blade.

2-3 for me. i tend to need a very sharp blade, or i get major irritation.

sometimes i can stretch to 4, but i usually don't even try.

I realize this answer may change with the blade type and razor, but how often do you change your blade on average. I'm currently changing blades every 3 shaves. I'm sure I could get more out of the Astras sp but I'd rather use a new blade.

What, again? I change blades after every Sunday shave. If a blade will not last a week, it is not a blade I would use.

As you already know, the correct answer is YMMV, so why do you care how many shaves other get from a blade?

5 shaves at least out of a Feather, but because shaving is supposed to be enjoyable, I ma thinking to going to 3 shaves, simply becasue they are so much better to that point.

What, again? I change blades after every Sunday shave. If a blade will not last a week, it is not a blade I would use.

As you already know, the correct answer is YMMV, so why do you care how many shaves other get from a blade?

Im curious because I want to see if there are any patterns.

I've taken a vow never to change the blade unless the performance is declining.
Depending on the blade, I expect this to happen at around 5 to 25 shaves.
This isn't about money. Changing a blade for no reason is not smart. Especially if you find the first shave or 2 rough.

I've taken a vow never to change the blade unless the performance is declining.

+1

I will use a blade until it become uncomfortable. as soon as that happens, out it comes and in goes another one. I have a number of blades unwrapped and in various states so it is easy to TTO drop the bad blade, grab one from the pile and not miss a beat.

I keep my blades outside of my razor and on wrappers marked from 1 through 5 for the number of shaves on a blade. It is not uncommon for me to have between 5 and 7 different brands of blades unwrapped at any given time.

proxy.php

Blades are cheap, I like fresh blades, therefor no more than 4 shaves and usually 3.

Turtle, seriously? What are you an engineer or an accountant? :wink:

My blade changing numbers for my go to blades:

Personna labs- after 3 shaves
Feather -after 1 shave
Gillette Yellows - after 3 shaves, could get 4 shaves but I don't push it
Astra SP- after 2 shaves

2 shaves for me now. I had a routine where I'd use a Feather on my Monday to set the tone for the week then use a Derby for the rest as it does an excellent & smooth job on stuble. Can't say the reverse for the Derby & truth be told the Feather was to sharp for five day a week shaving. Now, thank the shaving Gods I have found blades as sharp as a Feather & the smoothness of a Derby. Still I only use them for two times & toss them.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
2-3 was my norm with Red IP's for several years. Lately, I have gone a whole month of daily shaves with my last two Feather blades. My current blade has 29 shaves on it and I will be using it until the end of the month.

Top Bottom