What's new

Dollar Tree Shaving Gel

I was in a Dollar Tree (everything's a buck) and I noticed some non-aresol shaving gel. It was in a clear tube and was kind of icy blue colored. Even at a buck, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. The wife already thinks my AD is getting a little out of control. I've never used a gel in a tube... I'm assuming it would be brushless. Still, it might work okay for shaving my head with a headblade. Has anyone seen/tried it?

Just an update, I broke down and bought a tube of this stuff... I'll probably try it tonight. I squeezed a little out and did a quick lather test with my boar-brush. It did foam up. It's got a very sterile smell to it. I'm anxious to see if I can build any kind of lather with it.

If your Dollar Tree Special turns out less than ideal, don't despair. I salvaged a similar product, a particularly useless Alba shave cream, by loading my brush with a nice soap, adding some cream and producing a 'super lather'.

~jerry

Well, I tried it out last night. I'm pretty sure this stuff isn't meant to be used with a brush, but I tried it out with my burmashave brush just to see. It actually did lather up a bit. It wasn't great foam, and I had to use about double what I normally would but I did get a passable lather.

I started out shaving my scalp. Hmmm, cooling. It made a surprisingly smooth run for the headblade, in fact, I was surprised at how smooth it was because I missed a day of shaving and usually, an extra day's growth really makes the headblade drag. I zipped right through shaving my head in record time. I was kind of impressed. Not bad at all for a dollar.

Next was my face. Normally, I would rinse out my lather bowl and use my homemade soap for my face, but I decided to be adventuresome. I also usually switch to my badger at this point but I wasn't feeling that adventuresome. Anyway, I squeezed out another healthy dollop of this hospital(?) scented stuff and went to town. Again, kind of a dissapointing lather, it never really "fluffed" up. It was kind of thin, maybe a little runny, I just couldn't get it to look like what I'm used to, but I decided to chance it anyway. Skeptical, I pulled the blade to my face, watching with caution as the cooling lather started fading from sight.

Wow. Just-- wow. I'm on my 5th shave (I use a blade a week, daily) and that blade just glided. I mean, it felt like a 1st or 2nd shave nearly. Normally I can hear the hairs crunching as I shave---nothing. I fully expected to run a check pass with my hand and feel a cheek full of stubble--- nope, nice and smooth. Wow, this stuff actually worked?!? I had to go back and do an atg pass as usual, but I didn't have to spend a whole lot of time touching up. There is one spot on my right cheek that is still a little rough, but I suspect that is because of my hasty technique last night. I was so distracted by the quality of shave I was getting that I missed it.

Verdict:
I really felt like I was taking one for the team when I first sat down to try this stuff, but I've got to say, it wasn't bad at all, especially for the price.

A. Smells like something I can't put my finger on. Sterile smelling.
B. Goes on way too thin, doesn't look like it will work.
C. Che-eeeeap.
D. Gives a surprisingly good shave.
E. Did I mention it smells funny?
F. It has a nice cooling effect, not too strong, but noticable.

So, bargain shavers and college trogs get thee to a dollar tree and snatch this stuff up. It's worth a shot. I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.

It's called "on the GO" Freeze Shaving Gel with Aloe & Vitamin E. It's in a blue plastic squeeze tube. 5.0 FL Oz for $1.

This sounds interesting. A gent I work with has debated with me periodically that you are not to get a "lather" when shaving, but to get a coating. I disagree with him, I guess it just depends on what you use.

Well, I tried this stuff again on my head sans brush. I just smeared it on and threw caution to the wind. I put my headblade up to my scalp and prepared for the dragon... I mean, dragging sensation that I usually experience. There's usually just a little friction when I lather up my headslick. Well, I put the headblade to my skull and proceeded to nearly breaking my arm! I mean that thing just whisked over my head. I felt up there fully expecting to feel something---nothing... just pure, unadulterated scalp. Wow! I picture the development of this stuff like this:

A lab full of scientist, each taking the droppings from every species of owl and smearing it on corresponding doorknobs. They then pull out some sort of meter that measures slickness and isolate the most lubricating offal. Then, they say, "Let's make something twice as slick!"

I used it on my face last night to salvage a bad shave. I was trying a homemade soap that just wasn't smooth at all. When I realized it wasn't going to work, and time was getting precious, I just smeared this WD-40 destroyer on my cheeks and made short work of the whole enterprise.

By the by, I think I figured out what the funny smell is. Aloe Vera.

Again, I can't recommend this stuff enough.

:badger:

Well, I tried this stuff again on my head sans brush. I just smeared it on and threw caution to the wind. I put my headblade up to my scalp and prepared for the dragon... I mean, dragging sensation that I usually experience. There's usually just a little friction when I lather up my headslick. Well, I put the headblade to my skull and proceeded to nearly breaking my arm! I mean that thing just whisked over my head. I felt up there fully expecting to feel something---nothing... just pure, unadulterated scalp. Wow! I picture the development of this stuff like this:

A lab full of scientist, each taking the droppings from every species of owl and smearing it on corresponding doorknobs. They then pull out some sort of meter that measures slickness and isolate the most lubricating offal. Then, they say, "Let's make something twice as slick!"

I used it on my face last night to salvage a bad shave. I was trying a homemade soap that just wasn't smooth at all. When I realized it wasn't going to work, and time was getting precious, I just smeared this WD-40 destroyer on my cheeks and made short work of the whole enterprise.

By the by, I think I figured out what the funny smell is. Aloe Vera.

Again, I can't recommend this stuff enough.

:badger:

I was just up by a Dollar Tree today (and yesterday, and the day before....), and forgot to stop in. I've been meaning to go in and look for this. Maybe I'll go out tonight after class. I buy creams and soaps faster than I shave, though. I think I average buying over 1 product/day for the past month or so.

If you are bargain shopper it doesn't hurt to try the stuff. I paid $1.08.

I loaded up my badger brush with unscented glycerin soap, and added about twice the amount I would normally use with KMF. Built my lather in a mug though nothing to brag about, it was enough for all the passes I normally give my face.

End Result, pretty smooth shave, and it has a nice refreshing feel. My facial hair isn't thick, but the shave was a good as a KMF shave.

I picked up 5 tubes of this stuff today for a buck a tube. I shaved with it tonight with my Gillette Red Tip. I was amazed at how good it is for the price. I tried lathering and not lathering. It works either way. It's definitely slicker than owl ****. I can't wait to try it out shaving my head. It's slick like the lube strips on cartridge blades. It has aloe in it and smells familiar. Reminds me of Edge gel, in smell at least. I think. I'm not sure. Not a very strong smell. My wife says it smells masculine and not offensive at all.
I got it to lather up very well by using more water. I don't think I'll be giving any of these away. I like it. It's not Godrej, but it is good. Lots better than canned goo. It fits in perfectly with DE shaving versus cartridge shaving, because of the economy. It's not the best I've used, but it's not the worst, by a long shot. I will continue to use it and probably buy more when I run out.:thumbup:

Now, if I can just get over to Fred's and get some of those $2.00 packs of Injector blades.

If you're impatient, don't try lathering it. You'll be disappointed. If you take the time to use enough water and strokes to lather it properly, it lathers pretty well. If you're in a hurry, just smear/rub it all over your face and start shaving. I only had to reapply after 2 or 3 passes. Would have required fewer passes, except my blade has gotten dull.

Well, I bought two tubes of this stuff so far. It really dosn't have much of a smell to me. I didn't bother to try to lather it up, just smeared some on my face. This stuff was slick and smooth. So far I think this is the best cream / gel / soap that I have used so far. It helped my merkur 34c cut through my whiskers like butter. It also does an incredible job at moisturizing my face. I splashed on some Lucky Tiger Aspen aftershave when finished and my face feels like I rubbed lotion on it an hour ago. I have been using Tabac soap & cream, Casswell-Massey Sandalwood shave cream, VDH Glycerin Soap, and Gillette Edge gel with a Conair lather heater and so far this beats them all. A few days ago at TJ Maxx I bought a $36 jar of john varvatos shave gel for $5. That stuff doesn't even come close to the great shave I get with this cheap stuff.
Unfortunately It doesn't come in some cool scent, doesn't lather, and I can't use it with a brush. Great Shave, but where is the fun?

Might be a good travel kit companion if you don't want to deal with a brush. Does the tube say what country it is made in? If ingredients are listed on the tube, could you list the first three or four, or give a close-up photo of the tube itself w/ingredient marking?

The exact list on my tube reads: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Steartrimonium Chloride, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate.

Made in China - Distributed by Greenbrier International, Inc. - Chesapeake, VA.

I think that this must be a YMMV item. My first post on the forum was this: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150524

For me, it was just horrible. I'm not one for expensive products, and I almost always manage to use up a product somehow, but this one just had to go. As I recall, I didn't feel that I got any whisker softening effect, perhaps the reverse, almost as though I were shaving dry, even though this was right after the shower. I almost wish I still had it so that I could give it another try.

My usual soap is VDH, although I'm trying out KMF and RSC creams currently. There is just no comparison, and these are not that expensive.

Sounds like it is a cheap knock-off of King of Shaves gel. Stuff definitely isn't meant to be lathered; rather, you hand smear it onto your face and shave away.

Can't stand the smell of KoS gel, but it does provide good slickness and a pretty good shave.

I gave it to my son, because I like making lather.

Okay, I saw this thread, saw "On the Go" and thought: "I have that!" My kiddos picked it up for me at a dollar store a couple of years ago for a daddy Christmas gift. I don't know that I'd ever used anything except the ASB that came with it.

So, I decided to shave with it tonight and the result was a lousy shave with good results!

Two pass shave left me with a DFS, which is typical for my two-pass. And, with some C.O. Bigelow ASB and then Body Shop Maca Root ASB after that dried, the face feels pretty good.

The shaving experience wasn't a good one though:

1. Painful, like I was scraping off the hairs
2. Didn't super-lather well and the super lather disappeared before I got razor to face
3. Second pass stand-alone with just the gel yielded gentler results
4. Disappearing lather and then naked gel make it hard to judge passes and "feel" the shave

My conclusion: It is cheap, the result is okay, but at what cost? I likely will try it again only rarely, though I will use it since the boys got it for me!

Top Bottom