What's new

Greetings from Colorado

Hi all,

Short time listener, first time caller ... It's so refreshing to find a civilized, and polite corner of the internet.

Some three years ago, I met up with a buddy on a ski vacation in Utah. He was arranging his toiletries on the bathroom counter, and I noticed his shaving brush.

Me: "what's with the shaving brush?" (I asked curiously)
Him: "I was at a farmers' market one day, and someone was selling them"

Being an OCD type, this piqued my curiosity, and upon my return home I started to surf the web. Unfortunately, I didn't happen upon B&B, and my searches took me to mostly generic sites (Amazon in particular).

I read of Merkur, Parker and such and became quickly overwhelmed with the choices. Knowing my tendencies, I cut myself off then and there. I had no time for yet another rabbit hole.

Some three years passed, and the inevitable occurred. I was drawn back to this pursuit - triggered by a Henson razor ad. I've since learned that they're not the only game in town, but their engineering based sales pitch intrigued me.

In my post corporate life, I took to building turntables and vacuum tube amplifiers, and if you know anything about audiophiles, the folks on this forum have nothing on turntable junkies ;-)

In turntable setup, we have the equivalent of blade angle, spacing, chatter, etc. I set up a phono cartridge using USB microscopes, software, and other measuring tools. Henson's sales pitch made perfect sense, as I work with machinists on a regular basis. I was hooked.

I picked up a Henson +, and was initially dismissive of brushes. My thoughts were that brushes are merely a way of slowing you down so you saturate/soften your beard, and this can be done with generic shaving gel - as long as you spend time lathering (by hand).

So my wife put an inexpensive badger brush he purchased a while ago in front of me, and I began to see that this is a useful tool. She then presented me with some Jack Black shaving cream, and I was hooked.

About a month ago, I happened on BnB, and now I'm up to two brushes (a Mühle STF 25mm, and an AP Shave Co. Synbad, 22mm).

Oh dear me ... I see a Wald in my future. Life is short.

Lathering is starting to make sense (currently using some Cella and Spieck). My wife wouldn't let the smell of Arko in the house, but I see a soap collection in my future. I'm a patient, methodical sort, and now that I've "mastered" one soap (Cella), I'll take to blade exploration.

I'm looking forward to interacting with y'all.

I have a brush stand project in the works, as everyone I've seen seems to be either unstable, or take up too much space. Even if I found the perfect one, where's the fun in just buying something when you can suffer and build your own ?

I'll probably complete it within the next 10 days (parts are on order), and I'll post it in the brush forum.

... Thom

Welcome Thom to the wonderful place that’s called B&B! Please do share your DIY brush stand as we love to see those. I made my own razor stand to hold the expanding collection - definitely not QC worthy, but made by me and me alone with my dad’s stamp of approval (well he only saw the pictures!).

This place can be enabling if you let it. And there is much fun in trying out new stuff or finding that particular razor. Seeing you are in early stages of your DE shaving I would also say to take the methodical approach indeed and work you way up (well you have a Henson so that’s quality right there!) as your technique goes up as well and no sooner.

But above all: have fun, ask questions, share your experiences!

Enjoy!

Guido

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B from a fellow Coloradan. I look forward to seeing the brush stand. If you live in the Denver area pop into the Colorado Shaver Center on South Broadway. Quirky litte spot that also hosts a yarn store and vacuum shop. Not an amazing selection, but adequate and I like to support small business. I have not been in quite some time.

Welcome Thom to the wonderful place that’s called B&B! Please do share your DIY brush stand as we love to see those. I made my own razor stand to hold the expanding collection - definitely not QC worthy, but made by me and me alone with my dad’s stamp of approval (well he only saw the pictures!).

This place can be enabling if you let it. And there is much fun in trying out new stuff or finding that particular razor. Seeing you are in early stages of your DE shaving I would also say to take the methodical approach indeed and work you way up (well you have a Henson so that’s quality right there!) as your technique goes up as well and no sooner.

But above all: have fun, ask questions, share your experiences!

Enjoy!

Guido
Thanks Guido!

There's a wealth of knowledge here, and even with 50 years of wet shaving, there was a bit of a Dunning Kruger effect with me. I didn't know how little I knew ;-)

The stand is nothing special, but it will save a bit of space (which I suppose is special). I stumbled on these round "barbell pedestals" while looking for some other acrylic products: Acrylic Barbell Pedestal

The idea is to cut 4 U-shaped holders at 90 degrees apart. There might be room for a razor or two in the center as well. I just did a test run this evening with some scrap acrylic. It looks as if a 30mm hole will work with many brushes. I have a Forstner bit collection, and it seems to cut acrylic pretty cleanly.

... Thom

Top Bottom