What's new

Third Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

This Morning's Shave; #19 on an NOS Schick Plus Platinum Injector/ Easy Rider Razor; Face Lathered O Melhor SC with a V-L Horse/Badger Mix. Today was a single pass without touch-up, no tugging but not as smooth as the previous 18 shaves, though it's still cutting cleanly & efficiently and provided a DFS. I finished up with a splash of Skin Bracer Cool Spice, nice cooling effect, no sting.

I'll complete a Two-Pass tomorrow and skip Sunday & Monday, setting up my 21st and final One Blade Challenge Shave Tuesday on a 72+ hour Growth.

Chad, are you the guy from Buffalo? So, what can you tell me about "The Spolier" blades? When were they originally produced? I picked up a really clean Super Speed Red Tip on the Bay last month and it came with a partial pack of the Spoilers. I have been wondering if I should use them or save them.

If they look decent, use them! Spoilers are simply fantastic. The Super Stainless blades with the "miracle plastic coating" were produced from the late '60s through the mid-'80s, picking up "the Spoiler" marketing tag somewhere along the way.

I haven't been in on the one blade February challenge as I was still doing some testing through a sample pack in search of THE BLADE. I have settled on the Astra SP and bulk ordered. I've been using Astras for past 3 weeks in 4 differenr razors, all with great results. Just for a test I sayed with the current Astra in my Fat Boy this week and just had 6th shave, still DFS. I typically have been getting 4-5 shaves out of all the brands but it seems like Crystal and Astra still have an edge after 5-6 shaves. So, as an Astra user that has gone for duration, how far have you pushed one Astra?

Hi SteveWY,
I`ve been using Astra blade for around 20 years and I really think they are great blades and a great value. It`s a very consistent blade as you found out in your shaving experience. I`ve used the Astra Blue stainless and Astra Green platinum and I find the platinum for me the longest lasting of the two. People say the blue ones are a bit smoother compared to the green ones but I can`t personally see the differences but the platinum is the more durable one due to the platinum coating. I`ve used them for over a month say around 6 weeks and I could extend it to two months or more if I want to but I get tired of using the same blade so I change to a new one. I do strop my Astra blade during my uses on a pair of jeans or newspaper and palm stropping and even on a 12K stone to help it as it keeps going. Like I said earlier if DE blades were cartridge prices people would use them with their slight faults and accept it for what it is rather than tossing them after a few shaves be it imagined or not to dispose of them for a new blade.
PS, I plan on stop using this present Astra blade until March 5 because I usually use a new blade on a Monday and I started on January 30th.

Day 25

Brush: Vie-Long Cachurro
Razor: EJ89 DEL

Blade: Wal-Mart German Wilkinson
Cream: Proraso Soap

Post Shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

A 2 pass DFS with the Wilkinson.

Shaves #21 and 22 will be done with my 1923 "Richwood" New Improved:

proxy.php

Aaaahhh, back in Da Den!
Of all generations of Gillette razors that have won my affections, I'd have to say I love the New Improved series the best. It's got the classy look, feels fabulous in the hand, and is the premium tool for the BBS shaver, in my estimation. It dealt me a blackjack on shave twenty-one, after 3 passes with just a smidgen of buffing and j-hooking. It also helped to go back to the lather bowl after a work-week of sometimes inconsistent face lathering, allowing me to fine-tune the cream to just the right wetness and volume. The Personna 74 regained a renewed sense of "just-rightness."

I went with the Vulfix 660 Super Badger brush, one of my first. With the month almost over, I'm also getting to the end of my Speick SC & ASL. These are definite re-buy items, and I'll probably throw in the shave stick and balm on the next order. It's a bit dry and windy today, so I threw on some Nivea Dual-Action balm as well.

Shave #21
Brush: Simpsons Emperor 1 2 band Super. Amazing brush for the money
Razor: Cooncat Long comb
Blade: Personna 74
Soap: TFS Bergamotto Neroli
Post Shave: Thayers , Arlington Balm, Arlington Cologne
Blade Secret: Bacardi 151 dip
Passes: 3

Didn't shave yesterday, wound up with an ingrown at the base of the neck. Darn neck.
Don't blame the blade. Blade still smooth.

Shaves #21 and 22 will be done with my 1923 "Richwood" New Improved:

proxy.php

Aaaahhh, back in Da Den!
Of all generations of Gillette razors that have won my affections, I'd have to say I love the New Improved series the best. It's got the classy look, feels fabulous in the hand, and is the premium tool for the BBS shaver, in my estimation. It dealt me a blackjack on shave twenty-one, after 3 passes with just a smidgen of buffing and j-hooking. It also helped to go back to the lather bowl after a work-week of sometimes inconsistent face lathering, allowing me to fine-tune the cream to just the right wetness and volume. The Personna 74 regained a renewed sense of "just-rightness."

I went with the Vulfix 660 Super Badger brush, one of my first. With the month almost over, I'm also getting to the end of my Speick SC & ASL. These are definite re-buy items, and I'll probably throw in the shave stick and balm on the next order. It's a bit dry and windy today, so I threw on some Nivea Dual-Action balm as well.

Nice pic!

The Dorco had a rough time today. Still DFS, with no weepers or nicks, but lots and lots of tugging.

But shave 24 with the mighty Dorco 301 was still still a success.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
A day away from 30 shaves on this Feather blade and I am still getting great shaves. It was just shy of BBS. It is nearly impossible to get BBS at this point, but DFS and beyond is still in easy reach.

Last edited:
A day away from 30 shaves on this Feather blade and I am still getting great shaves. It was just shy of BBS. It is nearly impossible to get BBS at this point, but DFS and beyond is still in easy reach.

Impressive. I think I need to give a Feather one more go, really trying to make it last.

For now, I'm up to 20 on the Astra SP. Still getting easy, smooth BBS in 3 passes.

Shave 21: Still great. After my normal 3 passes I did an extra horizontal pass on the neck and under the chin. Not because I needed to, but because the blade is so smooth that I can get away with moves that I normally can't. It's interesting being able to treat a DE as if it were an idiot-proof cartridge razor (but without the need for pressure.)

Last edited:
This Morning's Shave; #20 on an NOS Schick Plus Platinum Injector/ Easy Rider Razor; Face Lathered Haslinger Aloe soap with my RV custom/V-L Horse. I completed a two-pass without touch-up, a bit smoother than yesterday and I received a DFS with no effort. I finished with a splash of Skin Bracer Cool Spice, cooling and moisturizing without any sting. Monday afternoon will be my final shave for the February Challenge, I'm impressed with the smoothness and consistency of an injector blade produced at least 35-40 years ago, simply Amazing.

Last edited:
I got back last night from my trip to Baja, down as far as Bahía Concepción, a little south of Mulegé. It was a great trip. San Quintín and anything south of it is really worth a visit.

Before leaving, I restarted with a fresh Personna. I got in about nine shaves during the eleven days (I could be off by one).

Blade 2, Shaves 1-9:
Razor: Dorco plastic.
Blade: Regular US Personna.
Cream: Burt's Bees brushless.

The Dorco razor is very mild, but the shaves were good enough for a casual vacation.

This morning I put the blade back into my usual Tech for shave 10.

Brush: Parker synthetic.
Razor: Gillette Tech.
Soap: VDH Luxury.
Post Shave: Thayer's witch hazel aftershave.

The blade felt a little rough. I think I'll try for another tomorrow, but I suspect that will be all that I can get out of this blade without punishing myself.

This has been a worthwhile experiment. I now know that the blade could go longer, but weekly blade changes haven't been really too wasteful and biweekly (fortnightly) changes would not be achievable.

Last edited:
I was on the road for a few days, and ended up using the different blade in my dopp DE, so I have broken the "one blade" commitment, but I took the Iridium Super out for shave #11 today. Pretty much a DFS in 2 passes. Under the chin is not as smooth as it could be.
-- Chet

Blade 2, Shave 11:

Brush: Parker synthetic.
Razor: Gillette Tech.
Soap: VDH Luxury.
Post Shave: Thayer's witch hazel aftershave.

Surprising. I thought that this would be the end, but it was actually better than yesterday. I've had blades fresh out of the package that felt worse. Definitely going for a twelfth tomorrow.

Shave #22 ('23 Richwood, Personna 74, Vulfix 660 Super Badger, Speick MEN SC & ASL, and a dab of Corn Husker's Lotion)

3-4 passes to BBS, and I had to work for it with extended touch-up. Still very smooth, the blade's sharpness is clearly going, and it feels quite like a used Red IP at this point. I'm ATG-smooth at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I'll be sprouting a little before bedtime. I'll have to coax another aggressive handle out of the den tomorrow for the penultimate pair of shaves.

Day 26

Brush: Vie-Long Cachurro
Razor: EJ89 DEL

Blade: Wal-Mart German Wilkinson
Cream: Proraso Soap

Post Shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

A 2 pass DFS with the Wilkinson.

Well it's day 27 so that'd make it shave.....I dunno.....21?

Honestly, if there weren't only 2 more shaves the Feather had to go, I would ditch it at this point. A bit of tugging around the chin and jawline, and failed to give me BBS on my cheeks in the customary 2 passes. Still a very good shave, but with all my shave gear, very good is considered sub-par.

This blade has held up admirably, and will provide an adequate shave over the next 2 days, but I'm already looking forward to replacing it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Shave #30 with the Feather was the same as #29. I'm noticing that after the first week there is practically no noticeable change in shave quality and I'm still getting DFS shaves.

Shave #22
Brush: M&F Horn 24 bulb BB
Razor: Gold Super Adjustable
Blade: Personna 74
Soap: Maiden Martin de Candre shave!
Post Shave: Thayers , Creed Feuilles Verte
Blade Secret: Bacardi 151 dip
Passes: 3+

Ok I'm having to work a bit now. Had to crank the SA up to 9 in some spots. The MdC is everything promised.

I wish I had found this thread sooner. I would have liked to participate. My only contribution is that I did run a "shave until it dies" test of a single Feather blade. My report is in this thread. I managed to use the same blade for 26 shaves.

Maybe next year (if I remember).

Top Bottom