What's new

Third Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

If they look decent, use them! Spoilers are simply fantastic. The Super Stainless blades with the "miracle plastic coating" were produced from the late '60s through the mid-'80s, picking up "the Spoiler" marketing tag somewhere along the way.

Thanks John! I used The Spoiler in my '57 SS. Sometimes with razor acquisitions you get a partial pack of old blades. I thought about saving them but figured I might as well use them. I guess if someone out there was into collecting vintage blades and dispensers I could trade them.

Hi SteveWY,
I`ve been using Astra blade for around 20 years and I really think they are great blades and a great value. It`s a very consistent blade as you found out in your shaving experience. I`ve used the Astra Blue stainless and Astra Green platinum and I find the platinum for me the longest lasting of the two. People say the blue ones are a bit smoother compared to the green ones but I can`t personally see the differences but the platinum is the more durable one due to the platinum coating. I`ve used them for over a month say around 6 weeks and I could extend it to two months or more if I want to but I get tired of using the same blade so I change to a new one. I do strop my Astra blade during my uses on a pair of jeans or newspaper and palm stropping and even on a 12K stone to help it as it keeps going. Like I said earlier if DE blades were cartridge prices people would use them with their slight faults and accept it for what it is rather than tossing them after a few shaves be it imagined or not to dispose of them for a new blade.
PS, I plan on stop using this present Astra blade until March 5 because I usually use a new blade on a Monday and I started on January 30th.

WOW! I might just have to try my own Astra SP longevity test, a one blade month, or something. I have gone up to 7 shaves with Crystals and Astras. I found that I'm ready for a new blade at that point and just don't want to have to take the time with extra attention to prevent inevitable weepers and irritation with blades as they get dull. I've never tried stropping and wonder if the risk is worth it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Blade 2, Shave 12:

Brush: Parker synthetic.
Razor: Gillette Tech.
Blade: Regular US Personna.
Soap: VDH Luxury.
Post Shave: Thayer's witch hazel aftershave.

I thought based on yesterday's experience that this would go well, but it wasn't that pleasant. I got a nick, I think because I was having to force the razor more than I usually do. Nicks are very infrequent for me, and this was my first of the month.
So I think that's it for this blade. I could maybe force another couple, but it seems that the durability question has been answered.

The regular US Personna feels really really good on shave 7, and so I expected durability. However, it does not seem to be among the immortals.

Since there are only two days left, I'll reinstall the Blue Bird that I was using on January 31 and resume my usual weekly blade change schedule.

WOW! I might just have to try my own Astra SP longevity test, a one blade month, or something. I have gone up to 7 shaves with Crystals and Astras. I found that I'm ready for a new blade at that point and just don't want to have to take the time with extra attention to prevent inevitable weepers and irritation with blades as they get dull. I've never tried stropping and wonder if the risk is worth it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I`m still using my same Astra Platinum blade and it`s shave #29 so far! The single blade challenge is fun but I normally change blades around 1 weeks usage or two weeks if the blade God is with me ie I get a great batch of Astra Platinum or whatever fate or my mood tolerance for that blade is. Using my blade after one month there is more work in blade preparations and shaving preparations and shaving touch ups and yes even the odd nick. If you enjoy tinkering around and I sure do I usually don`t mind doing a little more preparations for my shave for that one month plus shave. Imagine just 3 packs of Astra blades for a whole year or just 12 blades for the whole year with 3 to spare? :001_tt2: Glad to be of help SteveWY.

Day 27

Brush: Eveready 200T
Razor: EJ89 DEL

Blade: Wal-Mart German Wilkinson
Cream: VDH Deluxe Soap

Post Shave:
Aqua Velva

27 days, 26 shaves and still a DFS with the Wilkinson.

Shave #23
Brush: Rooney 3/1 Horn Super
Razor: President
Blade: Personna 74
Soap: Irisch Moos Stick
Post Shave: Irisch Moos Balm and EdT
Blade Secret: Bacardi 151 dip
Passes 3++

Well my neck is a mess. 69+ passes plus touch ups, probably a total of 74:001_rolle on the blade and I think the party is over. I can see how many could get 30 DFS shaves out of these blades, but this isn't a bet I'm trying to win. I would have quit 3 shaves ago if it wasn't a "challenge". With my shaving habits including skipping days and recreational BBS, I think I'm a little rougher on the blade than the shave everyday DFS crowd. A real learning experience though. Found out how much I prefer the performance of the Adjustables for day after day use.
I seriously doubt I would have made it this far without bathing the blade in the Bacardi 151.

Cheers,

Shave #23
Brush: Rooney 3/1 Horn Super
Razor: President
Blade: Personna 74
Soap: Irisch Moos Stick
Post Shave: Irisch Moos Balm and EdT
Blade Secret: Bacardi 151 dip
Passes 3++

Well my neck is a mess. 69+ passes plus touch ups, probably a total of 74:001_rolle on the blade and I think the party is over. I can see how many could get 30 DFS shaves out of these blades, but this isn't a bet I'm trying to win. I would have quit 3 shaves ago if it wasn't a "challenge". With my shaving habits including skipping days and recreational BBS, I think I'm a little rougher on the blade than the shave everyday DFS crowd. A real learning experience though. Found out how much I prefer the performance of the Adjustables for day after day use.
I seriously doubt I would have made it this far without bathing the blade in the Bacardi 151.

When I saw your latest razor was a President, I just knew things wouldn't go well at this point in the game. Mild razor + dull blade = bad time, which I why I put the President first in my lineup (and scheduled my other mild-ish razors for the early shaves). But good work anyway! I've only got three shaves left, and I'm hoping my next two razors will carry it through.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Shave 31 and the Feather is really starting to fall off. Not sure why all of a sudden it turned south so fast, but the shave results are beginning to leave me a bit dissatisfied. There was one tough whisker on my chin that bothered me all day.

This Afternoon's Shave; #21 on an NOS Schick Plus Platinum Injector reloaded into my E Injector, a more aggressive Razor with plenty of Blade exposed, I did a Bowl lather of QCS Old Spice with my Penworks Austin Powers in Best@43/22. I completed a two-pass with a touch-up on my Neck & Jawline, I definitely felt a difference with a more aggressive Razor, not irritating or rough, and the whisker whacking was efficient. I finished with an Alum Rub which had a good tingle and cleaned up. After ~3-4 minutes I rinsed off the Alum and applied a liberal splash of Vintage Avon Oland AS, no sting at all with a good scent.

This will conclude my February Challenge since my next shave will be Thursday, and I look forward to getting back to my Gillette's and Lord L6, in January I had participated in Schickuary 2012 and used my Injectors for 90% of that month. I'll keep the Schick Plus Platinum in the e Injector and resume testing this blade by the third week of March.

I enjoyed participating in the Challenge and look forward to next year's, think a test of the Personna Medical or Rapira SS is in order, good luck & Comfortable Shaves to the remaining participants.

This Afternoon's Shave; #21 on an NOS Schick Plus Platinum Injector reloaded into my E Injector, a more aggressive Razor with plenty of Blade exposed, I did a Bowl lather of QCS Old Spice with my Penworks Austin Powers in Best@43/22. I completed a two-pass with a touch-up on my Neck & Jawline, I definitely felt a difference with a more aggressive Razor, not irritating or rough, and the whisker whacking was efficient. I finished with an Alum Rub which had a good tingle and cleaned up. After ~3-4 minutes I rinsed off the Alum and applied a liberal splash of Vintage Avon Oland AS, no sting at all with a good scent.

This will conclude my February Challenge since my next shave will be Thursday, and I look forward to getting back to my Gillette's and Lord L6, in January I had participated in Schickuary 2012 and used my Injectors for 90% of that month. I'll keep the Schick Plus Platinum in the e Injector and resume testing this blade by the third week of March.

I enjoyed participating in the Challenge and look forward to next year's, think a test of the Personna Medical or Rapira SS is in order, good luck & Comfortable Shaves to the remaining participants.

Good job!!!

Shaves #23 and 24 will be done using my 1918 "Khaki Set" Old Type:

proxy.php

This is my oldest DE, though I only got it recently and haven't shaved with it before. It's a very clean razor, in better shape than my other Old Types despite its age (confirmed by serial number). I used a single shim under the Personna 74 to slightly improve the gap, and built an extra-wet lather with my pre-war German badger brush. With some careful face prep, this set-up drove the flagging blade well for 3+ passes, and I'm very close to BBS, though I didn't push too hard for it. Used the Speick ASL and a thin layer of Aveeno moisturizer to finish. Results: a nice late-evening shave that should last well through the workday tomorrow.

Congrats to mftoms59 for the first successful challenge finish!

20th shave complete ... blade is still rocking and rolling.

21st shave may probably be Monday the 27th of February.

:shaving:

21st and 22nd shave have been completed ... blade is still rocking and rolling.

Final shave for February on February 29, 2012.

:shaving:

Last edited:
You ought to. I'm doing it with a Dorco. If a Dorco can do it, any blade can!!

Day 28

Brush: Eveready 200T
Razor: EJ89 DEL

Blade: Wal-Mart German Wilkinson
Cream: VDH Deluxe Soap

Post Shave:
Aqua Velva

28 days, 27 shaves. More tugging than I care for still a DFS with the Wilkinson.

I was on the road for a few days, and ended up using the different blade in my dopp DE, so I have broken the "one blade" commitment, but I took the Iridium Super out for shave #11 today. Pretty much a DFS in 2 passes. Under the chin is not as smooth as it could be.
-- Chet

I had to shave yesterday and I just couldn't bear to shave with that blade again. Decided to use the Schick Dial Adjustable with a P74, and it was sooooo nice to have a sharp blade. This was kind of fun, but I'm unlikely to try it again. I just like having a nice fresh sharp blade, I guess.
-- Chet

And it's done - not a bad shave, but not great either. I'd say on par with yesterday's shave. Not BBS, especially around the jaw line and some spots on the neck/cheek. The Feather had smoothed out (dulled) sufficiently for both passes today to be ATG.

Tomorrow morning I get to shave with a fresh blade. I'm thinking a Red IP, it's been too long without this trusty friend in my razor.

I can be assured that a Feather would last 2 to 2.5 weeks if need be, but variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

I will probably keep changing my blades once a week, but I might decide to push on for a two-week blade now and then.

Thank you, gents, for the learning experience, and I wish you well on YOUR final shaves of February.

Top Bottom