What's new

The Cobra Classic - The best razor on the market?

Granted everything here is subjective but I have come to the conclusion that the Cobra is the best razor made. For me it gives, without question, the closest shave ever. As some of you know it really isn't a DE razor. It looks like an injectable type but it is not that either. It uses a feather pro guard blade - I believe it is the only blade that fits. The pro guard is used on the disposible feather straight edge. They last for several shaves depending on beard type - I can get about ten shaves before I replace it. The only drawback I have had is the occassional bad blade. I odered the feather DE razor and in my opinion there is no comparison - I have't master the Feather as of yet but it seems to be the least aggressive razor I have ever owned. Beautifully made I might add. Like all razors there is a learning curve with the Cobra - the weight of the razor is all you need pressure wise. The razor design, a thin head, makes those difficult areas under the nose and the jaw line seem easy. The Cobra is expensive, less than the Feather, but still $145 is up there. I use Castle Forbes pre shave and shave cream and, for me, it is about as good as it gets.

No. An optional handle that is either round or hexagon so it has the same feel however you hold it should be offered.

+1

I am testing the Cobra as part of the Cobra tour right now, and I find it funky to hold in anything other than a N-S configuration on the face. While the razor shaves incredible well, the handle needs vast improvement (in my opinion).

At this point, I wonder (other than weight) what the Cobra can accomplish that a Schick Adjustable Injector cannot; and the blades for the Schick are not nearly as expensive.

In addition to the Feather Pro Guard, the Cobra will also utilize the Feather Professional blade (basically the Pro Guard minus the Guard), and the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades. Which also come in a version with the Guard.

Last edited:
Theres other blades too. Try the Feather Pro without the guard or even better, the Kai. Perfect blade for this razor.

+1

I am testing the Cobra as part of the Cobra tour right now, and I find it funky to hold in anything other than a N-S configuration on the face. While the razor shaves incredible well, the handle needs vast improvement (in my opinion).

At this point, I wonder (other than weight) what the Cobra can accomplish that a Schick Adjustable Injector cannot; and the blades for the Schick are not nearly as expensive.

In addition to the Feather Pro Guard, the Cobra will also utilize the Feather Professional blade (the Pro Guard minus the Guard), and the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades. Which also come in a version with the Guard.
in what way would you improve on your shave w the Cobra besides using an injector?

So far Cobra is the best razor I've used.
Switched to a year ago from Futur/Feather (which I has been shaving with for a few years) and never looked back.
Handle is indeed a little tricky but I get used to it. The only problem is shaving under the nose,
somehow I can't get it and reach for Fusion (single edge on the opposite side of the cartridge).
Surprisingly I found it least aggressive/more forgiving then Futur and Barberpole Slant (the only DE I own
and much better then Adjustable Schick Injector I never liked because of blades ( I tried to use Feather pro blades in
injector but cutting them was messy so I got Cobra). One time few months ago I decided to try Futur again just to see the difference
and reached to Cobra in the middle of the shave.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a problem with the handle. I didn't participate in the pass around but used one that was loaned to me by a B&B member. I like the results, but I found myself concentrating too much on maintaining a grip, and having to make a lot of adjustments to keep a comfortable grip. And I also came to the same conclusion that I can get comparable results with a $10 injector or 1912.
+1

In addition to the Feather Pro Guard, the Cobra will also utilize the Feather Professional blade (basically the Pro Guard minus the Guard), and the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades. Which also come in a version with the Guard.

It uses a feather pro guard blade - I believe it is the only blade that fits.

I think the only blade that properly fits the Cobra are the Feather Pro's. The Super and Pro Guards will not sit properly in the razor. West Coast Shaving states to use only the Pro's on their site. But glad the blades are working for you, and just think how good your shaves will be with the Pro's!

I have a Cobra and thought it was the greatest thing since chocolate ice-cream, ignoring the entire time the scalping my chin was taking. The length of the blade or the angle just did not like my chin and for the first time in 30 years I was having bleeders more than once a week (Sometimes going for years without one). I backed off the Cobra and now mostly use my Gillette "News" without any discomfort, i.e. weepers/bleeders at all. I did sacrifice the ultimate BBS/Dermabrasion I received with the Cobra, but the overall shave and comfort after the shave is best with my Gillettes.

Again, glad the CC is working for you guys........And the beauty of the razor, a solid piece of American Metal, trumps the Feather and Pils IMHO.

The shave itself is great. I would just much rather prefer the razor had a standard round knurled handle, so that it was comfortable to hold for all typical passes.
ok, would you buy it and recommend it due to ts function, or would you just pass on and wait for it to go on sale and use your injector.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a problem with the handle. I didn't participate in the pass around but used one that was loaned to me by a B&B member. I like the results, but I found myself concentrating too much on maintaining a grip, and having to make a lot of adjustments to keep a comfortable grip. And I also came to the same conclusion that I can get comparable results with a $10 injector or 1912.
Tom, is the handle the only issue/ How is the shave compared to your favs, and would you buy it today?

I was once asked would I buy the Cobra knowing what I know now about the razor after having it for a few years. My honest answer: I would rather spend the jack on the elusive New DeLuxe and would not purchase. Also, it's a time kill for me to verify the blade is properly alligned each morning.

But it was worth it for me to purchase because I don't have that knawing feeling wondering how good it is and should I get one.

I'm know I'm the exception, and glad to hear people finding their soulmate with this razor.

ok, would you buy it and recommend it due to ts function, or would you just pass on and wait for it to go on sale and use your injector.

For me to buy it right now, I would have to sell my Feather AS to fund it's purchase. I vastly prefer the Feather over the Cobra, so that is not going to happen.

If money is not an issue for you, then I would say certainly go buy it. If you don't 100% love it, you could quite easily sell it on the B/S/T. But by buying it, you are also committing to buying the Feather or Kai blades both of which are not cheap.

The shaves where quite nice, no issues other than the handle. No, I wouldn't buy one because I don't think it delivers 10X better results than a $15 injector or 1912 that I can walk into local drugstores and pick up blades for. It is a beautiful tool that would probably scare a burglar away if you aimed it at him, but I can spend $145 on a lot of other stuff.

Tom, is the handle the only issue/ How is the shave compared to your favs, and would you buy it today?

i didn't find the cobra handle to much of an issue with any passes. it's not the same grip, but not that bad IMHO.

it literally takes as long to verify the blade is sitting correctly, as it does to make sure a blade in a slant is seated properly . it truly isn't that hard... however my fathers (in his early 60s) fingers are 2x the size of mine and cracked. I do not have small hands... i doubt it would be much harder for him to get the blade in; however compound it with someone's poor eyesight, lack of dexterity, and general confusion, perhaps it might be a time sink...

the cobra isn't cheap, but if it was $10, people would complain about the cost of the pro's... if you are looking for one of the cheapest shaves this is not the razor...

I will have to see if i can get my hands on an injector and 1912. I have a bunch of SE blades collecting dust and i walk past the personna mags all the time..

i didn't find the cobra handle to much of an issue with any passes. it's not the same grip, but not that bad IMHO.

it literally takes as long to verify the blade is sitting correctly, as it does to make sure a blade in a slant is seated properly . it truly isn't that hard... however my fathers (in his early 60s) fingers are 2x the size of mine and cracked. I do not have small hands... i doubt it would be much harder for him to get the blade in; however compound it with someone's poor eyesight, lack of dexterity, and general confusion, perhaps it might be a time sink...

the cobra isn't cheap, but if it was $10, people would complain about the cost of the pro's... if you are looking for one of the cheapest shaves this is not the razor...

I will have to see if i can get my hands on an injector and 1912. I have a bunch of SE blades collecting dust and i walk past the personna mags all the time..
So you are having the same load problem as most, its a time killer and cramps your lifestyle trying to figure out if its loaded properly, what if they made an improvement on loading mechanism, would it be worth it to you to buy?

Can someone explain what advantages the Cobra has over a Schick Injector that would make me want to pay 10 times the price for a razor that is less comfortable to hold and harder to load with harder to obtain blades for a shave I can get with a Schick Type E or G Injector?

Well Doug, see it's because, well, you know...Sorry I got nothing.:lol:
Can someone explain what advantages the Cobra has over a Schick Injector that would make me want to pay 10 times the price for a razor that is less comfortable to hold and harder to load with harder to obtain blades for a shave I can get with a Schick Type E or G Injector?

Top Bottom