What's new

Recommend a starter straight

What do you gentlemen recommend I look for in a beginners straight razor? Do you have any razors I should stay away from?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Stay away from anything Pakistan or Indian and all the "straight razor pocket knives" you can get on eBay.

You should also stay away from the more expencive ones until you are certain that starights are for you and you're starting to get the hang of it.

Take a look in the BST there you should be able to find a shave ready straight for a decent price, or you can get a starter set from Larry at http://whippeddog.com/

Good luck!

Round Points tend to be a bit more "beginner" friendly than a Square Point. The corner tends to bite if you're not paying attention and as a beginner, its hard enough trying to focus on blade angle and all that good stuff.

Talk to Larry At Whippeddogg.com. Great razors. He has a very nice starter kit. I think the majority of us has done business with him. I would go with a 5/8 size full hollow that is made in germany or england.

Stay away from anything Pakistan or Indian and all the "straight razor pocket knives" you can get on eBay.

You should also stay away from the more expencive ones until you are certain that starights are for you and you're starting to get the hang of it.

Take a look in the BST there you should be able to find a shave ready straight for a decent price, or you can get a starter set from Larry at http://whippeddog.com/

Good luck!

This!

Plus, your first razor - once you know how to use it well, will tell you everything you'll "think" you'll need in your second. And your second will tell you everything you'll think you'll need in your third ... so on, and so forth lol.

Take some time to learn your first, there's plenty of time for more later :001_tt2: .

Fully agreed on the sight-unseen from Larry. I don't think there is a bigger bang for the buck for the product. Then when you throw Larry's customer service on top......words actually fail to convey the level of "great" the total package is. No better way to start with a straight in my straight-newbie opinion.

Top Bottom