What's new

EBAY Sellers

I am just beginning my straight razor journey so any input is welcome. I have been looking at the sellers that are recommended on this site.

I have a question about the ebay sellers. I have seen a few sellers on ebay that look to offer some interesting razors. Without mentioning any of the sellers names. Has anyone used ebay or is something to just stay away from?

Thanks in Advance!

I've only had one or two bad experiences on eBay in 24 years. Know what you are buying, take a very good look at pictures, and pass if it's at all iffy or vastly over-priced.

I've had a couple things "lost" recently when I got them with low bids, but got my money back, can't complain since a lot of people sell huge numbers of things as a re-sale business and stuff happens. Bound to have something get lost or misplaced once in a while.

There are a few unscrupulous sellers, but they are fairly uncommon. Beware really bad pictures, and don't be surprised if a sharpening stone you bid on with low res pics turns out not to be quite what you expected -- bid accordingly!

I’ve purchased some good vintage razors off the bay. It really helps to know what you’re looking for and signs to steer clear. There are a couple of consistent sellers who deliver and know how to show what they are selling. Do your research.
Thanks that's why I have been looking on ebay. Just to see what is being offered.

I've only had one or two bad experiences on eBay in 24 years. Know what you are buying, take a very good look at pictures, and pass if it's at all iffy or vastly over-priced.

I've had a couple things "lost" recently when I got them with low bids, but got my money back, can't complain since a lot of people sell huge numbers of things as a re-sale business and stuff happens. Bound to have something get lost or misplaced once in a while.

There are a few unscrupulous sellers, but they are fairly uncommon. Beware really bad pictures, and don't be surprised if a sharpening stone you bid on with low res pics turns out not to be quite what you expected -- bid accordingly!

Funny how things we win great deal on seem to "get lost in the mail" much more often. The cynic in me knows its pretty easy to pay for the cheapest shipping option, take a labeled box to the PO to get scanned, and walk away with the box still in hand through slight of hand. Ebay refunds FVFs, you're really only out a shipping label. $5 if you do it right, and you might be able to sale for $20+ more dollars.

I know that very few sellers are actually this unscrupulous, but they are out there. Years and years ago (back before FVFs were assessed on shipping and you would have items sell for $2 with $40 shipping) i won an auction for a used smart phone. Android phones were relatively new in this era as well. Long story short, I got the phone for about 1/3rd of what it could have gone for. I had been patient, bid on numerous auctions over several months only to be outbid, and finally won the auction I was willing to pay for... and the seller flat refused to ship. Despite me advising them how the auction format worked.

OP, generally I've had good experience with ebay as a buyer and seller. There are tricks of the trade. You might get "taken" once or twice. You may sell something used with adequate honest descriptions and pictures and the buyer still expected something NOS and were disappointed. But generally there are deals to be had, and hunting for those deals can turn into a pasttime. If you are someone who has a propensity to see something and then feel emotionally compelled that you've "gotta have it," I advise you to avoid ebay. And auctions in general.

Top Bottom