What's new

Trip to Ireland, any must do's and shaving shop/soap recommendations?

Lahinch is not very far from the Cliffs of Moher, but not sure what the green fees are nowadays, and how quickly you get a tee time...
Thank you, looks like the old course is over the 300 euros mark, but the castle course is much more reasonable

Thank you for your questions and response.
We like the outdoors, hiking, and music. We like all kinds of music, but I was a drum sergeant in a local pipe band, so traditional Irish, folk, Celtic is great. We like smaller pubs that aren't in the city center. Really, the only hard and fast thing on the list to see is the Cliffs of Moher. We will be renting a car, so we will be able to get around to different areas. I have a long history with golf, but rarely play anymore. It would be cool to see a course on the northern coast, but probably not forking over $300 greens fees on this trip. We want to get out of Dublin quickly, but wondering how to have a home base and make some day trips.
If you're renting a car I would strongly suggest requesting an automatic. Manual transmission is the default for most rental cars. Not having to change gear while being on the other side of the car and other side of the road is one less thing to worry about.

Getting out of Dublin will be a cheaper option as far as accommodation is concerned. I'll have to ask a few friends for recommendations though. I know there are a number of hiking trails in the surrounding counties, but I'll check for ones elsewhere.

Galway city is a good spot, but accommodation can be pricey. By your post it would seem that you would prefer a smaller town. Ennis in Clare would be a reasonable place to base yourselves if you want to see the cliffs of Mother. I'd also recommend a place called Doolin. It is close to the cliffs. There are boat tours where you can see the cliffs from sea level. These could be seasonal though and I'm unsure if they will be running in March.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If you're renting a car I would strongly suggest requesting an automatic. Manual transmission is the default for most rental cars. Not having to change gear while being on the other side of the car and other side of the road is one less thing to worry about.

Getting out of Dublin will be a cheaper option as far as accommodation is concerned. I'll have to ask a few friends for recommendations though. I know there are a number of hiking trails in the surrounding counties, but I'll check for ones elsewhere.

Galway city is a good spot, but accommodation can be pricey. By your post it would seem that you would prefer a smaller town. Ennis in Clare would be a reasonable place to base yourselves if you want to see the cliffs of Mother. I'd also recommend a place called Doolin. It is close to the cliffs. There are boat tours where you can see the cliffs from sea level. These could be seasonal though and I'm unsure if they will be running in March.
Yes, both Ennis and Doolin are good places and I have stayed in both. Limerick is also not too far, and probably a bit cheaper than Galway.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
shaving goodies to procure/experience

I've never been to Ireland, so can't suggest tourist spots. However ...

... I've travelled other places and what I generally find is that "wetshaving" is as obscure and niche there as it is here, and 99.9% of what you can find is the bland, multi-blade-and-canned-goo nonsense that we are doing are darndest to avoid anyhow. Apart from Jermyn Street in London, I can't think of any wetshaving "tourist destinations".

That being said, I'd suggest sticking your nose in a few of the stores that tend to carry that stuff ... and see what's on offer. You can probably snag a "drugstore level" aftershave and maybe even a shave cream tube or two. Something to enjoy while you are there, and even bring home for later.

Oh, and see if they have Florena shave cream. Great stuff. They used to sell it here, cheap as chips in the drug stores, but discountinued 10+ years ago, but I believe it is still available in Europe so ... maybe you see it??

Lahinch is not very far from the Cliffs of Moher, but not sure what the green fees are nowadays, and how quickly you get a tee time...
Thanks for the rec, unfortunately, they are closed to visitors until late April as they are having some big irrigation work done. I asked if we could walk any of the courses, but evidently, it's going to be pretty torn up, but the clubhouse will be open.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! We have reserved a loft apartment near the foot of Doonegore castle in County Clare for the first 5 nights. Then I think we will head back to Dublin and stay for the last 2 before we have to depart. Things are starting to take shape! The local pubs around Doolin look to be right up our alley.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! We have reserved a loft apartment near the foot of Doonegore castle in County Clare for the first 5 nights. Then I think we will head back to Dublin and stay for the last 2 before we have to depart. Things are starting to take shape! The local pubs around Doolin look to be right up our alley.
Hope you have a great trip and the weather isn't too bad. The West can get savage during an Atlantic storm. I'll ask a few friends for hiking recommendations around Clare. It's not really my forté, but I'll see what I can find.

@jdrum3 I'm still trying to find hiking routes near Doolin. One of my friends said there are a few in Clare, but not close to Doolin that he is aware of.

You might want to have a look at the link below to give you some ideas.

@jdrum3 I'm still trying to find hiking routes near Doolin. One of my friends said there are a few in Clare, but not close to Doolin that he is aware of.

You might want to have a look at the link below to give you some ideas.
Awesome thank you!

Top Bottom