What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday - Annick Goutal Sables

Saturday - Amouage Lyric Man

Sunday - MPG Racine (a real winner - maybe my favorite vetiver so far)

Today - Floid Suave aftershave

The best thing about Chilum is the interplay of the tobacco note and the sandalwood which I really enjoyed as I am a big sandalwood fan and have recently come to appreciate tobacco based fragrances. While I really enjoyed this scent I am unsure if I'll get a full bottle as I found that it didn't last all that long on my skin...did I under apply?

I don't think so. This is the exact reason why I haven't yet bought a full bottle, too. Longevity is short but it's like heaven when I can smell it. I haven't yet tried spraying it but I'm hoping that'll help with the longevity, especially if sprayed under shirt where it can linger on the fabric.

-------------

Arome 3
by D'Orsay

petitgrain, bergamot, neroli, lavender; sage, ylang ylang, jasmine, coriander, clove; cedarwood, moss, amber, pastoral

This is an impressive lavender-centric aromatic fougere. Impressive because the lavender has some longevity but it doesn't smell overly sweet or overly vanillic, which is commonly used to draw out the lavender smell. Instead this one is drawn out by the accompaniment of florals and spices leading to an amber base, which is actually the key if you ask me. But the non-vanilla pairings are unconventional, making this smell like a slightly new take on lavender. I didn't get any of the citrus in the opening but I did pick up the neroli, which made for a beautiful start, followed almost immediately with sage and clover, which really emphasized that herbal/anisic quality in lavender. But the true genius in this lavender is the way all of that passes into a firm but delicate floral lavender and then into the amber that has a barely detectable tobacco note to it. I wouldn't have been able to pick out the ylang ylang or the jasmine on my own, nor do I pick up much of the cedar or moss even after the fact (and I have no idea what pastoral is, but I think it's a musk) - and I have no idea where the tobacco nuances are coming from unless it's from the "pastoral." Given that I've been quite settled on Antiheroes as my lavender of choice (it's pretty much lavender (floral) then lavender (herbal/anisic), then lavender (earthy)), this is a pleasant and welcome alternative. Thanks, Ivan, for sharing this with me!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Frank no 2. This might become a signature scent for me.

I think the Frank scents, I, II, and III, as I recall, tend to get overlooked around here for no particular reason, and by me personally in use. I have most of a bottle of Frank I and I like it a lot. I am sure I have tried the other two, and my recollection is positive about those, too.

Modern and creative, if I recall, without being stunningly expensive or being the latest trendy kind of scent, such as aquatic, or, say, gourmand, although my memory is weak enough that I might be wrong about the latter!

Toward the end of last week, Profumum "Santalum" several days in a row until I ran out. Reviewers say
sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon
, and not strongly SW and the SW that is there is not typcial. I was thinking before I read reviews, "excellent sandalwood. Fairly pure in scent." Even after reading reviews I am thinking the same. One could fool me perhaps as to myrrh, but cinnamon, more likely cinnamon leaves, seems pretty distinct to me usually. I am confused! For that matter, in truth, I think I know myrrh, and it seems a ways from sandalwood.

Today, Lubin "Idole," edp. I fantastic new scent to me for 2012. Just excellent for my purposes!

proxy.php

Main Accords: Citrus, Fresh Spicy, Woody, Floral, Herbal

Top Notes: Bergamot, Grapefruit, Amalfi lemon
Middle Notes: Carnation, Geranium, Thyme
Base Notes: Vetiver, Virginia cedar, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk

Longevity: 6 hours plus at 70 degree farenheit

Wow! I definitely get the "vintage" and I mean this "in a good way". Some notes here reminding me of other vintage frags playing in the background, but vetiver takes the center stage from start to finish. I don't think it's just the color of this frag playing with my scenses, but I actually believe there may be some mint in here as well. I am really enjoying this one.

This is Vintage Vetyver Veek :001_tt2:

Last edited:
Spring is here and Cartier Roadster was wonderfully appropriate for me today. Didn't think I'd like such a strange combo as mint and vanilla, but somehow it just works. Cool and breezy here today. I can only tolerate anything with vanilla in it when humidity and temps are down and winds are up.

MPG Route Du Vetiver from a sample, very refreshing on a cool and sunny Spring day! It reminds me of a plant nursery at watering time, damp, earthy yet slightly sweet and floral.$2005-X-PlantRoot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom