What's new

Opinions on Citizen and Seiko RR watches

After stirring up the Rolex crowd with my last post, I am almost afraid to ask, but:
Which are the better RRs, Seiko or Citizen?
Or something else?
Would like to get a pair, Mens and Womens.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
By that, do you mean pocketwatch? I think Orient makes some too ...

I can see no listing for Railroad Standard as a brand.
I was going to buy a mechanical Citizen, but after posting a thread on WUS and looking at the dearth of threads about them, I concluded their autos aren't worth buying unless you go high end and was advised by a few people on the Citizen/Seiko subforum that this opinion was well-founded.
Citizen's Eco-Drive range is brilliant, no question.
Seiko do everything well and with few exceptions, you get more when you pay more- their affordable quartz, affordable autos, mid-range auto/quartz, high end quartz and high end autos are all very well made and with the exception of a few of their lifestyle ranges, are well priced. I'd stay away from Kinetic, but apart from that you can't go wrong. The only reason I don't own a Seiko is I haven't found one on the high st that I liked the styling of since selling my last one. It doesn't matter if you have $100 or $10,000, Seiko will see you right.

Legion

Staff member
If you are talking modern watches I'm betting they both use their companies standard quartz movement. Both solid performers. I would get the citizen, just because it is eco drive.

RR standard wrist watches, that I am interested in. The Eco-Drive intersts me,
and as I said on the other thread, my Citizen diver served me well for many years.

I think I will go with that. Thanks for the input.

I've been considering an Eco-Drive myself, eventually. I currently have an entry level Citizen quartz for wearing to work, daily use and abuse kinda stuff. Its great!

Hi to everyone ,just registered.
I have both the Seiko RR and the Citizen eco-drive RR, both are great looking watches but I slightly prefer the Seiko as the face is a little easier to read and the watch isn't quite a bulky as the Citizen, that said i really like both and would find it a hard choice to pick one. I set both at exactly the same time and neither of them has altered ,they still display identical. Both the bracelets are massive and i needed to take 4 linkes out of both, i think these watches were for the American market. Hope this is of some help.

I own both Seiko Kinetic and Citizen Eco-Drive watches. The Seiko kinetics are a pain to keep charged by wearing/motion. The Eco-Drives are wonderful by comparison; just throw them on a daylight window sill for a day or so and they're good to go for about seven months. The Seiko RR Approved comes in both battery and Solar movements, the price difference between them is negligible and the Solar option is much more convenient for only about US$15 additional. If it's ultimate quartz accuracy you're shooting for by going to the RR Approved models, the Citizen (battery powered) Chronomaster (A660 Movement) is generally considered the most accurate quartz movement made, barring the atomic-clock set radio-controlled models. I own Rolex, Panerai and Omega autos, but for daily wear and travel, my first choice is a Citizen Eco-Drive Atomic, as it sets itself every night and is supremely accurate every day.

Last edited:
I have a Citizen RR eco drive and love it. Very versatile, easy to read, accurate, maintenance free, good looking. Got mine on Amazon during a sale.

Top Bottom