What's new

Duke 1: First Impressions

I try not to over-analyze brushes. Not thinking about the brush when I shave is always a good sign for me. For me it comes down to: is it comfortable to hold, does it feel good on the face, how easy does it release lather. Lofts on my Duke 1 and Berkeley are approx 43/44. Is the Duke 1 worth the extra $20? Absolutely. The Berkeley is stiffer and has more scritch. While it was my most used brush this year, I haven't used it since I got the Duke. The Duke 1 is softer with just a hint of scritch. It feels nice on the face and releases a lot of lather. I almost have to force myself to stop lathering. If I lathered that long with the Berkeley, my face would feel a little raw. Since I started this thread, I picked up a Rover and Duke 2. I like the Rover, but the Duke 1 is still my favorite of the 8 Simpsons I bought this year. I think that the Duke 2 is too big and too dense for me and will wind up on BST next month after a couple more shaves. I'm not sure yet exactly why I don't like it.
Thanks alot for your reply.
Do you have any plan to give X1 a try next?
X1 seems like a nice small brush too.

Do you have any plan to give X1 a try next?

Not really. I bought 11 brushes in 11 months and need to stop and use those I have left. The only brush I still have an interest in trying, maybe next year, is a Duke 3.

I want to love my Duke 3 but it sheds a few hairs every time I use it.

:(

If you are the original purchaser, then you should really contact the vendor or Simpson about that. If the brush is really a shedder (persistent loss of hairs after weeks of use) then either the vendor or Simpson will replace it.

I love the Duke family of brushes. My first quality brush was a Duke 2 in Best and I love it. I have used many brushes since but it is still one of my favorites, if not the favorite. I am contemplating a Duke 2 in Super right now but am trying to hold off on purchases for a while. :lol:

This thread is NOT helpful to my SBAD.

I have a Berkeley and a 2 band 57. The Duke 1 is intriguing. What I don't think was answered is "What brush has the knot size and character as the D1 only a longer handle?"

Are there fresh or more opinions on that question? Or was it actually answered and I just need someone to restate it for me?

Thanks

The Duke 1 is intriguing. What I don't think was answered is "What brush has the knot size and character as the D1 only a longer handle?"

I'm not sure there is one. The knots on all my Simpsons, even those of similar size, each had different characteristics in terms of scritch, softness, density or splay. I hesitated buying a Duke 1 for some time because I thought the handle would be too small, but I don't find that to be a problem when face lathering any of my creams, soaps or sticks.

Not really. I bought 11 brushes in 11 months and need to stop and use those I have left. The only brush I still have an interest in trying, maybe next year, is a Duke 3.
i got a Duke 3 now, the brush is wonderful but the thick wall of badger hairs able to hold and trap plenty of lather inside, way more than what i needed for one shave.
that made me think of giving smaller brush a try.

I want to love my Duke 3 but it sheds a few hairs every time I use it.

:(
how long you been using your Duke 3?
mine when new keep shedding a few hairs for close to 2 months before it finally settled down and zero shed now. think totally sheds around 70+ hairs.
maybe you can try your Duke few nice shampoo and give more time for it to stable.

Top Bottom