What's new

Simpsons Duke 3 Synthetic - Impression

Just when I thought I was done with synthetics, you enablers pull me back in. I kid, I am a badger guy now. This was sitting in the Amazon cart and my wife inadvertently ordered it along with other things. Gave it a go earlier tonight.

I had a Simpsons T3, RR Plissoft 400 and RR Bruce in the past so I can only go from there. Compared to the T3, the Duke’s (Platinum) fiber tips are incredibly soft. The T3 was good, this is ten times softer. I also find the tips (not hair as a whole) better than the Mühle STF. Size wise, both the handle and knot (at 23 mm) are great. It's precise and nimble.

I would say that's where the positive ends, kind of. The knot is dense and packed, a bit too much. This prevents it from splaying. It does on a hard surface but not on the face (expect the chin area). Oddly enough, the softness of the tips make this brush work. It’s hard to explain but it allows a ‘micro’ splays (due to the tips’ softness) if that makes sense. However, the fact that it works doesn’t make it a great bush, for me at least. It lathers great in a bowl and it paint with ease. Face lathering is another story.

I don’t know if this will splay over time but I am not holding my breath. I think it’s too dense. Between this and the T3 (a first brush I used nearly two years), the T3 wins. I am now curious how the Chubby 2 synthetic compares.

I can see a badger version of this brush work beautifully.

Share your thoughts! 🍻

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My Chubby 2 is superb but it is an early example labelled 'Synthetic Badger', featuring the original Platinum fibre. It splays wonderfully but it is lofted at 54mm compared to the current Chubby which is 50mm. For some reason Simpson decided on the lower loft and I think that causes some people to struggle with face lathering.

1688115662780.png

@EclipseRedRing If I am not mistaken, the current Duke 3 and Chubby 2 use Platinum fibers (and the Trafalgar line uses Sovereign fibers). Do you know how current Platinum fibers differ from previous brushes like yours?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
@EclipseRedRing If I am not mistaken, the current Duke 3 and Chubby 2 use Platinum fibers (and the Trafalgar line uses Sovereign fibers). Do you know how current Platinum fibers differ from previous brushes like yours?
I do not know in what way they differ, and to be honest I do not know for certain that they differ at all. I rarely look at shaving forums other than B&B but recently I was directed to one by a Google search. One thread included a screen shot of an email dated April 2023 from Anna Dillon of Simpson, in reply to a query asking if the Simpson synthetic knots had changed; one of the quotes from Anna was:

"Yes, that's our new material for the sovereign and the material for the Platinum grade is also slightly different from previous brushes".

That is the only basis on which I suggest that the Platinum fibre may have changed. I could be very wrong as I do not have a lot of experience with synthetic brushes, owning a grand total of one.

I do not know in what way they differ, and to be honest I do not know for certain that they differ at all. I rarely look at shaving forums other than B&B but recently I was directed to one by a Google search. One thread included a screen shot of an email dated April 2023 from Anna Dillon of Simpson, in reply to a query asking if the Simpson synthetic knots had changed; one of the quotes from Anna was:

"Yes, that's our new material for the sovereign and the material for the Platinum grade is also slightly different from previous brushes".

That is the only basis on which I suggest that the Platinum fibre may have changed. I could be very wrong as I do not have a lot of experience with synthetic brushes, owning a grand total of one.

Thank you for the added info.

Mine opened up a bit regarding splay after 30 uses or so. I was not a fan of the brush at first but it really grew on me. Now I just find it a bit too messy for me with face lathers but it's fine as I mainly bowl lather anyway. Even if I add the smallest amount of water when building a lather, that water still seems to find a way to get through the knot and run down the handle lol. Luckily the fantastic face feel of the knot makes up for it.

I'm no good at impressions, though if I put a cat on my head I can do a passable one of a former Prime Minister.

I also got a Duke 3 out of interest how it compared with the Trafalgar. Certainly a lot softer tips on the D3, and it seems to retain the lather more than the T3, though both can be inclined to sling it around the room. Current production Platinum has a lot in common with Muhle/EJ STF, but I don't have an earlier version.

We're probably looking for different things ("prevents it from splaying" is a positive attribute for me, so I like the density). I was hoping I wouldn't find too many similarities between them, and there are differences enough to justify having both.

Interesting reading others impressions, which makes me think brushes are as of a personal impression as which boots are most comfortable and fit best.

The boar brush in the photo below was my only brush for the last many years. It is firm by any standard. When I read about the Simpsons synthetics I ordered the two that seem to receive the most positive feedback, the Chubby 2 and Duke 3. The Chubby 2 is towards the upper right.

The Chubby 2 went first. I instantly disliked it as it is just way too much lather at one time for me. The Chubby felt like it was creating a big, imprecise mess. The messy feeling caused me to stop, wipe my face off, and start over with the Duke 3.

In sharp contrast, the Duke 3 was absolute nirvana with a luxurious feel on the face with a controlled and precise application.

The Duke holds way more than enough lather for a second and third pass.

My default daily lather is admittedly low brow, a mix of Cremo with a shot of Foamy to improve the texture and prevent the lather from drying out, which Cremo alone is prone to do. My preference for texture is towards the denser side as I use a straight. The Duke applies it very nicely.

Lather is whipped up in a bowl with warm water. Application is using the brush like a paint brush and feels soft and precise, not messy like the Chubby.

Bottom line, Duke 3 synthetic has been really nice for me.

IMG_8130.jpeg

Interesting reading others impressions, which makes me think brushes are as of a personal impression as which boots are most comfortable and fit best.

The boar brush in the photo below was my only brush for the last many years. It is firm by any standard. When I read about the Simpsons synthetics I ordered the two that seem to receive the most positive feedback, the Chubby 2 and Duke 3. The Chubby 2 is towards the upper right.

The Chubby 2 went first. I instantly disliked it as it is just way too much lather at one time for me. The Chubby felt like it was creating a big, imprecise mess. The messy feeling caused me to stop, wipe my face off, and start over with the Duke 3.

In sharp contrast, the Duke 3 was absolute nirvana with a luxurious feel on the face with a controlled and precise application.

The Duke holds way more than enough lather for a second and third pass.

My default daily lather is admittedly low brow, a mix of Cremo with a shot of Foamy to improve the texture and prevent the lather from drying out, which Cremo alone is prone to do. My preference for texture is towards the denser side as I use a straight. The Duke applies it very nicely.

Lather is whipped up in a bowl with warm water. Application is using the brush like a paint brush and feels soft and precise, not messy like the Chubby.

Bottom line, Duke 3 synthetic has been really nice for me.

View attachment 1680255
Can't agree more; it's really subjective.

Glad to read it works well for you. Enjoy in the best of health. 🍻

With synthetics it’s best to use painting motions and not try to splay as with badgers. Takes a little getting used to at first then it’s all good.
I never understood this, with respect to Simpson's recommendations, apart from them fearing that people would mash down on their brushes.

To date, all three of my brushes are synthetics (one Mühle STF, and 2 AP Shave Co Synbads), and I have no trouble splaying.

I've had a Duke 3 synthetic in my sites for some time, but their anti-splay comments have given me pause.

In my short time at this, I can't see how you'd effectively prep your beard with a linear (painting) motion. Circular (both clockwise and counterclockwise) just makes sense to me. Perhaps someone can comment.

Perhaps the density of their knots dictates this recommendation? If this is the case, I wonder why they'd design what I view as a limitation into their synthetics?

With their bewildering proliferation of models I'd expect them to recommend (produce) some brushes for circular latherers, and some for painters.

... Thom

Last edited:
I didn’t paint with badgers either, and resisted with synthetics (after 25 years of badgers it was hard to change). But hey, whatever works, painting is just another option, it works fine for me, bowl or face lathering, no downside whatsoever.

To date, all three of my brushes are synthetics (one Mühle STF, and 2 AP Shave Co Synbads), and I have no trouble splaying.

I've had a Duke 3 synthetic in my sites for some time, but their anti-splay comments have given me pause.
I looked for brushes to accommodate my technique, not the other way around. My STFs and Synbads all splayed and it was part of the lathering routine I commonly used.

OTOH, trying the denser, harder-to-splay Duke 3 Platinum took some effort and wasn't much fun. It didn't last long.

I looked for brushes to accommodate my technique, not the other way around. My STFs and Synbads all splayed and it was part of the lathering routine I commonly used.

OTOH, trying the denser, harder-to-splay Duke 3 Platinum took some effort and wasn't much fun. It didn't last long.
Agree 100%. One thing that's always puzzled me is how many experienced individuals will vary their brush selection based on their soap. For example, they'll select a brush with lots of backbone when using a triple milled soap.

I've always wondered if their face tolerates a wide range of backbone and scritch.

I personally love the STF and Synbad, and wouldn't want to deviate very far from this face feel, although I confess to lusting after a Wald.

My point however isn't so much about my face feel preferences, but rather that I prioritize this over how efficiently the brush picks up soap.

In my short time with this, I've come to enjoy the meditative, 3-4 minutes I spend with a brush on my face, and to compromise on this is to compromise on this small pleasure.

... Thom

Top Bottom