What's new

Occupational Shaving Mugs

Wondering if any one has or collects vintage occupational shaving mugs? Especially firefighter ones? Would like to see some Picts if you do.

Wondering if any one has or collects vintage occupational shaving mugs? Especially firefighter ones? Would like to see some Picts if you do.
I have one that I found at a yard sale for $2.00. The painting is of a fishing creel with a rod and reel and a gun crossed behind it. The gold lettering is worn, but the name is visible. Some of these go for big bucks.

I have one that I found at a yard sale for $2.00. The painting is of a fishing creel with a rod and reel and a gun crossed behind it. The gold lettering is worn, but the name is visible. Some of these go for big bucks.

Have found a few, but most are cheap knock-offs. Would love to find some vintage ones.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Have found a few, but most are cheap knock-offs. Would love to find some vintage ones.
Tillerman:
You can find many very nice & detailed vintage ones on Ebay, but they can pricey...and could fetch hundreds of dollars. I did see a beautiful vintage cigar roller mug 'on the bay' a while ago that started off I believe at $300US (way out of my league). :drool:

:straight: "Laughter is the [shaving mug]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Tillerman:
You can find many very nice & detailed vintage ones on Ebay, but they can pricey...and could fetch hundreds of dollars. I did see a beautiful vintage cigar roller mug 'on the bay' a while ago that started off I believe at $300US (way out of my league). :drool:

:straight: "Laughter is the [shaving mug]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Yes I have noticed that people are not shy in what they sell the mugs for...

Tillerman:

@ Count:

Just to further expound on what we were saying RE: ebay and occupational. It is very easy for people to falsely advertise a shaving mug as vintage or antique when in fact it is a mug that was made in the 80s etc. So, not the same!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
@ Count:

Just to further expound on what we were saying RE: ebay and occupational. It is very easy for people to falsely advertise a shaving mug as vintage or antique when in fact it is a mug that was made in the 80s etc. So, not the same!
Tillerman:
Any ideas on how to 'flush out' the fakes? I don't own a occupational mug, but wouldn't there be some kind makers seal / date on the bottom?
proxy.php

:straight: "Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

The Sportsman (marked on the bottom) ones were made in the 50's. They are quality hand painted reproductions. I have one and love it. They should be reasonable.$20-50
I'd be wary of a $300 mug that didn't have a lot of super pictures making the authenticity very evident.

As a fire/medic, I've tried to collect things that bring it all together. I have a couple of the firefighter mugs, but if memory serves, they are not the oldest versions. Still neat though.

Tillerman:
Any ideas on how to 'flush out' the fakes? I don't own a occupational mug, but wouldn't there be some kind makers seal / date on the bottom?
proxy.php

:straight: "Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

@Count:

I am still learning myself. However, from what I have seen and read, the real ones almost always have a name across the top and look used. Thus far, no name and pristine contdition are caution flags.

As a fire/medic, I've tried to collect things that bring it all together. I have a couple of the firefighter mugs, but if memory serves, they are not the oldest versions. Still neat though.

I am a firefighter/medic as well (actually a Chief now), nice to meet you. You are correct there are a number of FF mugs, but as you said they are new. Very hard to find true antique FF shaving mugs.

I wanted to educate myself by trying to educate others regarding this topic. Sadly, I have been taken a few times, so its been a painful process. :001_unsur

I am a firefighter/medic as well (actually a Chief now), nice to meet you. You are correct there are a number of FF mugs, but as you said they are new. Very hard to find true antique FF shaving mugs.

I work with Firefighters. Maybe the reason there are no antique mugs, is because FF's break stuff for a living.:001_tt2:

Top Bottom