What's new

The horror! The horror!

So the auction I spent a week obsessing over winning, then a week obsessing over actually arriving in the mail, finally arrived. A bulk lot of razors, one cased, for $30NZD (about $25USD). And joy of joys, my suspicions from the single photo of the lot were confirmed, a cased #58 Aristocrat (the hefty one not the aluminium) with the red loop in the case. The case is a bit rough as stated in the auction, and the gillette logo has worn off, but this is no biggie since I didn't get it for resale and I can live with a minor detail like that, plus the inside of the case is still in good condition, and hey, I effectively got it for 6 bucks!

The razor could use a clean, some scum in the knurling that might take a bit to get out. So far so good. But then I inspected the head...

"Do you hear that, Fezzik? That is the sound of ultimate suffering."

The seller made a note of saying she would "give the razors a bit of a clean". Apparently that meant attacking perfectly innocent and defenseless razors with heavy duty steel wool. :crying:

Maybe a bit of polishing compound could buff most of it out? I don't know, but I am just heartbroken.

Last edited:
The seller made a note of saying she would "give the razors a bit of a clean". Apparently that meant attacking perfectly innocent and defenseless razors with heavy duty steel wool. :crying:

Oh, dagger. That's one thing you never want to hear a seller say, ever. I'd so much rather get a crusty but still intact razor than one that's had the tar beat out of it by someone who didn't know what they were doing. The response to such an offer should be an immediate, "Oh no, please don't! Cleaning them up is part of the fun buying them in the first place."

If the plating has just gone frosted and she's not worked her way all the way through it anywhere, you might be able to bring it back with some gentle work. But I'd only do it if the current state looks worse than it would if you brassed it. That way in the worst case scenario you still come out ahead.

My condolences...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I hope you've contacted the seller to let her know exactly what she's done :mad5:

Good luck with the buffing.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That is to bad. I hope they buff out, but they may be deep enough the plating will come with the scratches.

I use this special polisher kit that I bought , I buy watches too, many are antiques with swirls, and marks on them. I was on B&B The haberdashery our Moderator Ouch gave me a link to this wonderful product called watchbandrenew.... http://www.watchbandrenew.com/home.html, it takes deep scratches off bands and watches and makes them look new again, it will take those swirls out without harming the finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks like sandpaper scratches! Jeez. :scared:

That's happened to me buying pens -- the seller takes a scotch brite pad to it!

Damn, what did she buff it on- the street? Same reason I see a razor ad on rocks and concrete, it is pretty much an instant reject.
These are items meant to be cherished and hoarded, deftly polished with love and adoration.

I use this special polisher kit that I bought , I buy watches too, many are antiques with swirls, and marks on them. I was on B&B The haberdashery our Moderator Ouch gave me a link to this wonderful product called watchbandrenew.... http://www.watchbandrenew.com/home.html, it takes deep scratches off bands and watches and makes them look new again, it will take those swirls out without harming the finish.

Not the horrific price I was imagining either, will give it a go, thanks!

Not the horrific price I was imagining either, will give it a go, thanks!

Lance you are welcome, It will take like 90% of those swirls out, make sure you use each pad by order and finish with the polishing cloth and you will have it back to new again....don't forget to post results.

Top Bottom