What's new

Irish Moss (Irisch Moos) review

Translated German to English, Irisch Moos means Irish Moss.

I have been holding on to a stick for a while (I bought $80 worth of soaps and creams from WCS) because I wanted to try other soaps bowl lathering until moving on to sticks. I finally got around to trying it.

First impressions, a stick in a decent container! Smells STRONG in raw form, all subtlety is lost and the thing smells like cheap deodorant soap Irish Spring. (same company as Tabac, and they seem to believe in big smelling raw soap)

1st try- prepped as normal, left face wet and rubbed the stick all over very well. No initial lather. A moderately dry pure badger started swirling and brought forth nice slick lather, dipping the tips in water as needed to hydrate. The scent of the lather was tamed, bringing out the subtlety. It stopped smelling like Irish Spring and took on a character of it's own. It is a nice woodsy masculine scent.

Built 2 more lathers with what was in the brush, all nice and slick. 4th lather needed another use of the stick. Provided a BBS shave.

The scent of the soap fits right in with the T&H Trafalgar AS Balm that I used.

Despite being initially turned off by the raw smell, Irisch Moos provided a really great shave. The good packaging would do well for travel.

It's a winner, well worth a try.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is one of the best shave stick I've tried. It will be a regular in my rotation. Love the scent too, so that helps...

I'm a big fan of Irisch Moos as well. We have been petitioning Maurer and Wirtz to produce this in puck form too.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Irisch Moos lather is phenomenal! I hope they'll make it in a puck. We kind of drove them crazy with emails, but have heard nothing lately.

I love the SIM, and couldn't care a fig if it ever makes it into a puck or not, but if others want it that way, then I hope it happens.

I may be wrong but haven't I seen Erwin with one in a recent SOTD?

David why did you not made me attention to this - I help always with pleasure when I am able....:001_smile

You mean this pic?

proxy.php

At the moment, I own two variations of this soapbowl.

Here are some pictures and sorry for the quality.
I would have had to deal during the admissions a little bit more with the correct exposure.
The lid the old sir International Bowl is so garish-white that I had problems in connection with the dark tins and the relatively dark background. If the lid is in the autofocus, the picture is getting dark all together to and the lid garish-white glistening with additional lightening of the picture. Beyond the autofocus the picture is correctly exposed and the lid is garish-white from the start :-[

In this first picture one can nicely recognise how the product from the presentation has changed.

proxy.php

The white crucible is clearly massive and shows a sort of bayonet joint - he can be opened with half a rotation, while the right crucible owns a normal screw cap.

proxy.php

The scent is to be classified basically as similar, in itself, however, very aberrantly. While the brand new, very intensely fragrant SIM stick contains in the background imho a pinch Lemon and mint, the green bowling smells less intensely and does not contain these ingredients of lemon/mint. The White Bowl smells distinctly weak contrast and a slight smell of curd soap is determined, which is not perceived in the first two soaps.

proxy.php

Here you can nicely recognise that the soaps show a different colour. The inscription on the left soap still takes off on the SIR brand, while right is marked as Irisch Moos.

proxy.php

This old promotion might be from the sixties/seventies..... i`m still looking for the stick, shown on that promotion :001_smile

proxy.php

Have fun with the pictures
Greetings
Erwin

Erwin,

Thank you for this brilliant and informative post. I love seeing this type of stuff. Really, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Sounds nice, but I just don't really like sticks. If they produce a puck someday, I'll probably try it.

The stick is so thick that you could easily load your brush on it using the so called "fist bowl" method. If it does not work out, just grate it into a bowl and use it that way. You are definitely missing out by not getting it.

Erwin, to tell the truth, I had completely forgotten my post for this. With so many soaps already, I have always thought "do I, don't I?" buy SIM. I can get it easily from Connaught over here, so I think you have just twisted my arm! I'll give you my impressions once it has arrived. Those pics are fantastc, my friend.:001_smile

Thank you for your wonderful pictures, and your insights on this, Erwin! Truly amazing!

The stick is so thick that you could easily load your brush on it using the so called "fist bowl" method. If it does not work out, just grate it into a bowl and use it that way. You are definitely missing out by not getting it.

+1

I'm a big fan of Irisch Moos as well. We have been petitioning Maurer and Wirtz to produce this in puck form too.

And here are the details of such petition:

Please help me convince Maurer & Wirtz to make Irisch moos in a puck ...

Top Bottom