What's new

The Re-release of the Simpson Rover

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Fresh from John's Deal of the Day at West Coast Shaving, this little beauty arrived today.

The Simpson Rover.

This is one of the "old-time" brushes that Simpson has rejunvenated from their collection. I believe that it is currently available but is a limited production run available at West Coast Shaving.

As you can see, it has the "Rover" name engraved on one side and on the other side, of course, is the Simpson decal.

Although not enumerated as such, the size of this brush is comparable to that of the Rover 2. When the Rover was being produced in Somerset, there was also a Rover 1. The Somerset version of these brushes were available in Pure only, while this current version of the Rover is filled with the current Simpson Best which is indeed some of the best hair currently on the market imo.

As you can see in the above photo, the Rover is comparable in size to the Rover 2. The current Rover however is a much denser brush than the Somerset Rover. You can see the rings are also deeper on the current Rover and the shoulder is somewhat beefed up from its predecessor. Ergonomically, I find this brush to be very comfortable as the Rover 1 is a bit on the small side. On the current model, the "bullseye" is not present on the bottom of the brush. The only current production model Simpson that I have seen the "bullseye" engraved on the bottom of the handle is the Tulip 3.

Additional views of the pre-bloom Rover with the Rover 1 and Rover 2.

Here are some pics of the post-bloom Rover after it was given a couple of test runs over a puck of Trumper Lime shaving soap.

Post bloom Rover comparison pics:

Notice the semi-bulb shape of the current brush as compared to the fan-shape of the previous Rover 2.

These last two pics really demonstrate the difference in density between these brushes past and present. The current brush provides much more density than the previous model. Sometimes, too much density is not a good thing, but here I think Simpson struck the perfect balance with the loft and density.

Thanks to Simpson for bringing this "old-time" brush back into production. As with the Eagle, this brush is not a fancy piece of eye candy but rather a throw-back to a time when a brush was viewed more with an eye towards function rather than form. It is understated elegance in its purely utilitarian form and that is part of this brush's attraction. It, along with the Eagle, is an everyman's brush.

Also, thanks to John for providing the opportunity through West Coast Shaving for not only providing this great brush but also for donating a portion of the proceeds from the sale of this brush to the Sue Moore Fund in support of the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research.

Outstanding! :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a great looking brush.

I received mine yesterday and I was surprised by how heavy it was.
I really like the way it feels in my hand. Wider at the base with that heavy ridge at the top feels "right".

I agree 100% with your statements about utilitarian form and understated elegance.
I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it yet, but It does seem to be dense enough for all types of lathering without being a lather hog.

When it was 1st announced, I was very excited about acquiring a new Rover.
The intro price kinda put me off a bit ($40 more than the Eagle 3 Best?), but the "Deal of the Day" lured me in and I'm quite happy with it!

Is that an Eagle 2 Pure in the lower left hand corner of your Wall of Simpsons brush boxes?

Any chance for a pic of that one?

Thanks for another great write-up Bob. I agree that this is a great design and I'm very happy to have the new Rover in my collection as well. Nice grab from "Deal of the Day"!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Maiden voyage today. The weight and feel of this handle is somewhat reminiscent of a Duke 3, which is one of my favorites if not my favorite brush. And the Simpson best grade doesn't disappoint. I think I'm gonna work with this brush for the rest of the week.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
What a marvellous thread! :thumbup1: Wow! :w00t: By the way, no Simpson three-band Super brush in your collection, Bob? :huh: I think you would be very happy with a Chubby 1 three-band Super... :wink2:

proxy.php

One Carter Rover and one pre-Carter....?

Sure an enabling thread...ordered mine this morning...:) Not quite a bargain but then again, it's a Simpson LE....

I like the pictures of all the Rovers from different eras. This one is growing on me but I'm gonna be good (for a little while).

I'd love to know the origin of the "Rover" name.

How often does simpson release LE versions of brushes?

I'm really considering picking up the rover if it might hold its value, but if not I'm going with a commodore X1 in best. The commodore would fit my budget better but a little overspending is acceptable if the rover2 is worth it..

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
How often does simpson release LE versions of brushes?

I'm really considering picking up the rover if it might hold its value, but if not I'm going with a commodore X1 in best. The commodore would fit my budget better but a little overspending is acceptable if the rover2 is worth it..

I think any Simpson brush holds it value pretty much. Most used ones are sold at a 10% to 20% reduction from its original price which isn't so bad. An LE, presumabl,y would get at least what you paid. Maybe a little less if used. Overall, a Simpson brush is never a losing proposition on the re-sale side, imo.

Bob, this is another one of your "classic" threads - nice work sir!

The pics of Rovers young and old will stir the heartstrings for years to come...

I just received my Rover, and am also the proud owner of a Somerset Rover 2. I am not one to gush over brushes, but holy cow! The knot on this thing is very dense, but it's got a high enough loft that the hairs have good mobility and flow through. The knot is a perfect hybrid fan. I don't know where they got this batch of Best grade hair, but to me, it's a cut above what I'm used to. The tips are incredibly soft and between the density, loft and soft tips, it makes for a very luxurious lathering experience. Wow, wow, wow. The tendency is to compare the old with the new, but this Rover is far superior to the Somerset Rover.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't know where they got this batch of Best grade hair, but to me, it's a cut above what I'm used to. The tips are incredibly soft and between the density, loft and soft tips, it makes for a very luxurious lathering experience. Wow, wow, wow. The tendency is to compare the old with the new, but this Rover is far superior to the Somerset Rover.

I was wondering when you were coming around. :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly. The Best in this Rover is something unlike the other Simpson Best grade hair that I have encountered. It reminds me of the Tulip 3 Super (not 2-band) that I owned but without the floppiness of the Tulip 3 that I experienced but rather has the resilience of Best.

As for comparisons to old and new let me just say this... After a week or so of using my new Rover, my Somerset Rover 2 went on the sale block. Yeah, the new Rover is that good. :yesnod:

(I still kept my Somerset Rover 1 though.) :cool:

Only shortcoming of the new Rover... I wish they had etched the rings on the bottom of the brush for aesthetics and to keep the brush true to its predecessor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom