What's new

Dry the Blade After Each Use?

....i apologize if there is already a thread on this topic.....

.....since i just started using a safety razor i am not sure what is the correct way to go on this ---
.....are you to disassemble the razor after every shave and dry the blade, or do you just let it air dry by itself????

I have a three-piece Muhle safety razor. I never dry the blade. I rinse the razor after every shave and rub it on a towel, but I don't take it apart. I only disassemble it once a week when i change the blade. The razor still looks brand new after almost two years of daily use.

Some of the blades I have specifically say not to wipe dry. Maybe that's just a play by manufacturers but I follow that advice and air dry.

depends on if its a carbon or stainless blade- actually it doesn't. i dry after each use. i'm back and forth between locations and i don't shave at the same location two times in a row. when I get back to the other, if i didn't dry it, it has some corrosion on it.

rinse and stow. I'd probably dry the head if I had 'hard' water to avoid water marks and eventually pitting.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Modern blades are mostly stainless and coated. Unless you use the same blade for 6-8 months, there's no need to remove or dry he blade after each shave. But, it's your blade, and you can do whatever you want with it

I use a different razor every day so the blade comes out, gets dried thoroughly then stored in a small plastic container with a couple of the packets that absorb moisture until the next morning.

I tend to use a different razor for each shave (sometimes two, for different passes), and a blade left in a razor could be sitting wet for ages before being used again, so I always pat the blade dry and dry the razor.

I use a different razor every day so the blade comes out, gets dried thoroughly then stored in a small plastic container with a couple of the packets that absorb moisture until the next morning.
I like that idea - I tend to have blades in 3 or 4 razors at any one time, and I hunt around for which has which. I think I'll start doing that instead - will go look for a suitable container tomorrow.

I air dry my DE razors. I have some GEM Blue blades for my SE razors that I pour some 91% alcohol on to speed up drying to prevent rusting!

It really depends on the blade... 7 O'Clock yellows rust quickly but feathers don't, for instance. I just used to dab the edge of the razor lightly on a towel after use before I got bit by the straight razor bug. Now THOSE you have to dry!

I have a three-piece Muhle safety razor. I never dry the blade. I rinse the razor after every shave and rub it on a towel, but I don't take it apart. I only disassemble it once a week when i change the blade. The razor still looks brand new after almost two years of daily use.

I have the Muhle R89 and the only thing I add to this is that after I rinse and wipe the razor dry, I spray a couple shots of 90% alcohol on the blade edges and let drip/air dry in the stand.

I am presently using a red tip and always remove the blade & rinse both with hot water & dry with toilet paper. I leave the razor doors open & the blade free!

I live in Phoenix, the water here is really quite hard which spots & corrodes metallic objects at will, so an extra 30 seconds each shave is time well spent.

Top Bottom