What's new

Vintage Simpson (?) ID ...

I won the brush pictured below and it's on the way to me. The seller said that on one side it says "Made expressly for Abraham and Straus." On the other side, the seller said that there was an "AS3" stamped on it and some more that was harder to read. So, it appears to be a Simpson rebrand. I was wondering if anybody recognizes the model. I saw an AS3M, but that model has one band around the waist and this one appears to have two. It'll be here in a few days and when it gets here, I'll post better photos, but I thought I'd see if anybody recognizes it in the meantime.

Sorry for the small picture. It's not mine and came from the listing.

$Picture 1.jpg

I agree, it's not an AS3M, and the one image I have of something identical does not have recognizable markings.

I own an AS3M...this specimen appears to have a different shape Brian. The butterscotch appears quite uniform...please post pictures in my vintage Simpson thread when it gets here...

Brian, I believe that is probably the same model as yours...the curves are identical from what I can tell...the difference may be due to brush size perhaps?

It arrived today. On one said it says "AS3 Best Badger," and the remnants of the "S" and "N" from Simpson are just barely legible. On the other side, it says, "Made expressly for Abraham & Straus." Gary mentioned that a brush I have that is marked "BB 3" was made for Brooks Brothers and that the BB was an abbreviation. So, on analogy, I wonder if the AS in the model number/name is an abbreviation for Abraham & Straus ...

I don't have calipers, so measurements are approximate, but this is what is looks like to me: ~23mm diameter knot, ~57.5mm tall handle, ~36mm diameter handle, 68 grams in weight.

The knot is definitely shot and it'll be in need of a re-knot, but it is a very, very comfortable handle with a nice heft to it and the butterscotch color on this one is beautiful.

Full front:
$IMG_4398.jpg

Front detail:
$IMG_4399.jpg

Back detail:
$IMG_4400.jpg

Comparison (L-R): Case, Berkeley, AS3, Colonel X2L

$IMG_4402.jpg

Comparison (L-R): Wee Scot, BB 3, Berkeley, AS2M, AS3
$IMG_4403.jpg

Last edited:
That AS3 is definitely a beautiful brush, it looks like it would be really comfortable! You have a gorgeous set of vintage Simpsons there. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom