What's new

Vintage Gillette

Good morning all,

I inherited my late grandfather's (passed last July) double sided razors and would like to know what one is (the gold one).

I'm pretty sure one to be a Stainless Gillette Tech marked "Marcas Regs" #2 Travel handle razor, which I'm excited to use but would like to buy a longer handle for (recommendations on aftermarket handles/thread patterns would be great).

The other, pictured in the attachment, is a Gillette Double Sided Safety razor marked with a Diamond Gillette Logo, "Reissue Pat No. 17667," and Pat. NOS. 1328D24 - 1815745 - 1858815. Does anyone know what model this is or if its also a Tech? Also, can a safety bar be added to it since never used a comb before? Not sure if anyone sells replacement parts for these or if i'd just have to search for originals.

Happy to be here and thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 40
Also... I was going to edit the post to include this as well since I realize how lost I am on the subject but can anyone give me any info on these as well? Are any flat bottoms? (not sure how to tell). I thought the "Made in England" double sided (my daily) was a Tech but don't really know.

Attachments

• Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 49
  • tito.jpg
    tito.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 49
  • travel.jpg
    travel.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 50
Good morning all

I inherited my late grandfather's (passed last July) double sided razors and would like to know what one is (the gold one).

I'm pretty sure one to be a Stainless Gillette Tech marked "Marcas Regs" #2 Travel handle razor, which I'm excited to use but would like to buy a longer handle for (recommendations on aftermarket handles/thread patterns would be great).

The other, pictured in the attachment, is a Gillette Double Sided Safety razor marked with a Diamond Gillette Logo, "Reissue Pat No. 17667," and Pat. NOS. 1328D24 - 1815745 - 1858815. Does anyone know what model this is or if its also a Tech? Also, can a safety bar be added to it since never used a comb before? Not sure if anyone sells replacement parts for these or if i'd just have to search for originals.

Happy to be here and thanks for all your help!
The first one is a New Short Comb. 1930's. Sticking my neck out I would say it's this
proxy.php

The short handled one is a Travel Tech. Here is yours
proxy.php

J means 1964 and 2 is the second quarter of that year. Gillette date coding.

The third one is a puzzle. Most English Tech baseplates look like this
proxy.php

Notice Made In England and the Gillette logo is engraved on the bottom of the baseplate.

Yours just says made in England. I suspect it's a 1960's English Tech clone, made by an unknown maker. Interesting.

Thanks for the great info!

I noticed that the grip pattern on the handle and ball are different on the 3rd one. Its my "every day" that I've used since I was 16 (22 years). It's mystery is what started me down this rabbit hole, since I love the shave it gives but could never replace it as I didn't know what it was, so I couldn't compare it to anything.

Thanks again!

New Short Comb. 1930's. Sticking my neck out I would say it's this
proxy.php
It's definitely a NEW short comb but that handle just looks like the common bar handle. The Premium set there appears to have a shorter handle. (Of course, it could be an illusion with the thumb in the original photo, but the distance between the smooth rings in the knurling looks greater).

Is there any way to clean the New Short Comb without removing the gold plating or should I just send it into be replated/polished? Any good recommendations on a replater?

Is there any way to clean the New Short Comb without removing the gold plating or should I just send it into be replated/polished? Any good recommendations on a replater?
Putting it in a hot soapy bath should help loosen old debris when you try to scrub it with a soft toothbrush after maybe 30 min. That could at least make it user friendly.

I think it's important that you think about what you want to do with it. For instance:

1) Clean it and put it on a shelf
2) Clean it to use it
3) Send it in for a full restoration in order to use it

I know that the razor has a sentimental value to you, but it's important to be realistic, so you don't end up being dissapointed and/or have paid some gold for a service that you will regret.

What I'm getting at is that the razor model was the absolute cheapest at the time it was sold and the condition of your specimen is quite bad. Some of the gold plating being absent is one thing, but clearly the razor has some quite severe pitting on the underlying metal. Which means that the razor will never be "as new" no matter how skilled the replater is unless the dimentions of the razor parts gets changed because of too much sanding/polishing/plating.

If you just want to clean it to use it once in a while then great. That shouldn't be difficult.

If you want to get it fully restored with the intend to use it that is great too, but just be aware of the price and possibilities of that solution, so you don't end up dissapointed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Also... I was going to edit the post to include this as well since I realize how lost I am on the subject but can anyone give me any info on these as well? Are any flat bottoms? (not sure how to tell). I thought the "Made in England" double sided (my daily) was a Tech but don't really know.
Some 60's and 70's techs had similar handles with that kind of base plate.

1963 Tech England.jpg

1972 (S4) Tech England.jpg

Eh, I'd just scrub the New with a soft toothbrush and put a blade you like int it and try it. The short comb variant you have should be a good razor, Gillette made very few bad ones.

As will all non-adjustable razors you will need to find a blade that works well with it, when new it used a now standard thin blade I believe (with a slot in it, not three holes).

Backroadsgold does a great job and I’ve used him the most
razorplate.com is the next option. I generally prefer him for preserving finer details when stripping chrome plating off prior is beneficial. However the new short combs use a gold wash so the additional cost may not be worth it.

Putting it in a hot soapy bath should help loosen old debris when you try to scrub it with a soft toothbrush after maybe 30 min. That could at least make it user friendly.

I think it's important that you think about what you want to do with it. For instance:

1) Clean it and put it on a shelf
2) Clean it to use it
3) Send it in for a full restoration in order to use it

I know that the razor has a sentimental value to you, but it's important to be realistic, so you don't end up being dissapointed and/or have paid some gold for a service that you will regret.

What I'm getting at is that the razor model was the absolute cheapest at the time it was sold and the condition of your specimen is quite bad. Some of the gold plating being absent is one thing, but clearly the razor has some quite severe pitting on the underlying metal. Which means that the razor will never be "as new" no matter how skilled the replater is unless the dimentions of the razor parts gets changed because of too much sanding/polishing/plating.

If you just want to clean it to use it once in a while then great. That shouldn't be difficult.

If you want to get it fully restored with the intend to use it that is great too, but just be aware of the price and possibilities of that solution, so you don't end up dissapointed.
I know it wont be perfect but yea it does hold some sentimental value. Its my fault it looks like that. After he passed it was sitting in a drawer/zip lock and i haven't had the heart to go through it. It might not be the best but my grandma says my great grandpa gave it to him and thats why he kept it (used a little stored a lot). After a quick cleanup, I got a great shave with it. I'm seeing if I can engrave their initials on it and then send it to be replated. Thanks for looking out though. I know what you mean about having the right expectations and dont mind that shes a bit worn (it has nearly been a century after all)

Top Bottom