What's new

Best Clippers for DIY haircut

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you are only using the clippers on yourself, you might be like me... I fell in love with cordless clippers. I HATE that cord swinging back and forth. Cordless for me, all the way.

I've got a set of Forfex with ceramic blades and I couldn't be happier.
I've never heard of that brand ... are the ceramic blades available to fit something like a Wahl or an Oster?

My current clipper is a cheap Andis ... it is only used to trim up my goatee. I gave up on self-cuts after the 3rd try. I know how to cut hair, and I can do a decent job on someone else's head, but cutting my own hair is just too difficult, and I went back to paying anywhere from $20 ~ $40 to a barber or a stylist, respectively.

My clippers came in a Home Haircutting Kit, it included about 20-some accessories including the scissors, comb, 8 clipper guards, brush, oil, and a hair gown. Best of all is an instructional DVD that shows how to operate for Men, Women, Boy, Girl haircuts.

This kit was about $15 ... My next set will likely be a Wahl or better yet an Oster.

I know, I know strong thread revival but I would just like to express how frustrating it is seeing the conflicting, contradictory first-hand accounts of the difficulty of clipping your own hair. Ive seen many people say what he^ has said but I've also seen many people say the exact opposite.

You would think for an activity that is as repetitive as this, with the concentration that we've already acquired from mastering wet shaving that self hair clipping would possibly take some getting used to but at the end of the day be very doable. That goes for even the more challenging cuts like bald fades.

i have just ordered an Oster 76 and hope I do not regret it

I burned through two Wahl clippers before I bought the Oster 76 at Sally's Beauty Supply. I cut my son's hair and a bunch of the other boys in the neighborhoods hair on a monthly basis.

The boys get either a 3½ or a 3¾ clip the top, a 2 blade to fade up the sides and I use the Flattop-T blade to trim around the ears and neckline. In and out, a kid is done in about 5 minutes.

The Oster clipper and blades have paid for themselves dozens of times over

I burned through two Wahl clippers before I bought the Oster 76 at Sally's Beauty Supply. I cut my son's hair and a bunch of the other boys in the neighborhoods hair on a monthly basis.

The boys get either a 3½ or a 3¾ clip the top, a 2 blade to fade up the sides and I use the Flattop-T blade to trim around the ears and neckline. In and out, a kid is done in about 5 minutes.

im only 21 but I know when I have a family I will definitely be doing haircuts if I have boys (not sure what the deal is with girls)

have you you ever tried clipping your own hair though?

While I don't doubt the abilities of the Oster 76, many people have claimed it can be difficult to self-operate due to it's girth. It's a large clipper. But YMMV.

the oster classic 76 has no equal....last time I looked ,still made in america...this thing will last forever,it is the barber standard of the world....I have used mine every other night for at least 30 years,and only maintenece was to replace the brushes one time and a few lubes....I use a 0000 oster blade to take down the 2 days growth,then go over my skull once more with a "surgical" andis 00000 blade......it gets it down like a de razor,but much easier on the scalp....can't beat the old 76...

+1 I also use Andis outliner 2 to clean up love the 76'S though

I've used the oster fastfeed for about the last eight years every couple of weeks. I couldn't quite bring myself to spring for the 76 when I bought it. It has been uniformly excellent across that time however, and with no maintenance other than the cleaner/lube after each use, it cuts as the day I bought it.

Tim, I just think it's really cool that you cut hair for the neighborhood. I can imagine it as a fun time for the kids and I'm sure the other parents and their pocketbooks are grateful.

Thread related - I go to a barber but I use a Wahl Detailer to freshen up around the ears in between visits.

My vote is for the Andis BGRV. I use the 00000 blade to get my scalp as close as possible without shaving...Love the fact that it uses metal clippers.

I've had the Andis Masters for over 15 years and it's still going strong, changed the blade twice, but the motor is sound. When I bought it, it was $95. I would buy it again if it stops working.

Ha, nope - I sport a "boys regular" and it really needs to be done by a professional wielding scissors (too many cowlicks for clippers)

I have told my wife that when I reach retirement age (I am 51 and it is sadly soooo far away), I will be sporting the "old man" buzzcut. That will likely be self-inflicted and we shall see if it looks good or looks like I just ran away from Nurse Ratchet

im only 21 but I know when I have a family I will definitely be doing haircuts if I have boys (not sure what the deal is with girls)

have you you ever tried clipping your own hair though?

i bought the panasonic cordless with rotating head on amazon. i really like it, battery life is long, the rotating head makes it easier to change the length you cut. been really happy and have it used 1 time a week for over a year.

I just started cutting my own hair and went with the Wahl 5-Star Senior clipper. This decision came after a lot of reading and "research" on the various clippers available. The Osters seem like a great choice but I just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on clippers. So far the Wahl clipper has been great.

If you are doing your own cuts, I highly recommend the Wahl Pilot. It's a smaller size that makes it easy to fit in your hand, but it has plenty if power.

Trust me on experience, the moment you touch a pair of scissors to your girls head your wife will come unglued. It will be so bad your mom will call to yell at you. Even though I told them that it will grow back.

Top Bottom