What's new

R41 Muhle - Old head - Merkur rounded pins version

Gentlemen,

I found an R 41 Muhle, that one with rounded pins (1st version) still made, at the time, by Merkur it seems - same head as 12C??

If i would want to buy this new one, still in package, NOS, wich price do you think would be fair to go further with this business?

Thank you for your inputs!! :001_smile

Is it this one?

$MuhleR41_1.jpg

If so, I can find it new for $47 USD before shipping, so I wouldn't pay much more than that.

The picture and the one you linked to are the same.

If it turns out to be the first version with the more aggressive Fa Tip head, They sold for about $40 US. I do believe you can still buy Fa Tip razors in Europe.

I have all three. The Fendrihan link pictures the first version. Notice the different handle. The end of this version 1 handle is open, revealing a hollow handle. The second and third versions have the same handle between them, that differs from the handle on the first version, still hollow but not open at the end. The photo from franz looks like the milder second version (again, because of the handle).

There is an Italian site than sells the FaTip razor, and its head is the same as on Muehle's first version of the R41 (which, confusingly, was called R89 -- see the Muehle entry in B&B reference section). On the side of the box that this FaTip comes in it says (in Italian) that the entire razor is made of brass. Muehle bought FaTip heads for its 2008 version, then labeled R89).

Last edited:
I can't see if the pins are the rounded ones but it seems, at first view, this model is the recent one or second version, just before that 3rd spoken by these days as being a litlle bit agressive....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B002JEY2YU/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&img=0

My excuses if i shouldn't post this pic here, it's not an endorsment just for better overview...

That's a heck of a confusing set of pictures. Closed and open comb mixed together.

I just looked at mine that I bought about 6 months ago and it seems to be a mix of parts.
The handle is hollow (light) with an end cap. The cap is the same as what's shown on Muhle's site for the R41 except it has flattened posts rather than rounded.

The comb is open comb, the old style.

From all the other R41s I have looked at, I think the head might be from elsewhere.

Am I confused ? (probably)

Attachments

• $DSC02819.JPG
    $DSC02819.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 258
  • $DSC02820.JPG
    $DSC02820.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 251
  • $DSC02821.JPG
    $DSC02821.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 253
No, Hex, your photo is the second generation R41 (which, confusingly, in its first iteration, was labeled R89). See my post, above.

I've tried to clarify this, what with model number evolution (R89, then R41, then R41), handle evolution (open end, then closed end, then same closed end), and head evolution (Fatip OC, then mild OC [Meuhle design], then bar tooth comb [2011 Meuhle-designed version, current]).

No, Hex, your photo is the second generation R41 (which, confusingly, in its first iteration, was labeled R89). See my post, above.

I've tried to clarify this, what with model number evolution (R89, then R41, then R41), handle evolution (open end, then closed end, then same closed end), and head evolution (Fatip OC, then mild OC [Meuhle design], then bar tooth comb [2011 Meuhle-designed version, current]).

Wow, thanks Doug. It's a heck of a good shaver and I was looking to maybe get a backup. I dropped it once but it came through it ok.
So what version is it that looks like mine but with the rounded posts, like what's presently available at WCS ? I am guessing 2nd generation, mod 2, whereas, I am mod 1.
Mass confusion.

To add more confusion, Muhle sold the chrome plated Fatip razor as the R89, and at the same time sold the R41, which was the Fatip razor with nickel plating.

It's easy to get more confused the more you discuss the R41, since Mühle has done such a good job muddying the waters. But there are three distinct razors as Doug described above. Maybe additional pics will help.

$vornzz0.jpg

The one on the left is the 2009-2011 version with the Merkur head. The one on the right is the one with the Fatip head that was produced until 2008.

$muhle-r41-new-head__42155_zoom.jpg

This one is the newest R41 with the aggressive, semi-open-comb head. The handle is the same as the previous version.

Apologies if the dates are slightly off.

Last edited:
Can anyone compare the shaves between two or three of the models - particularly interested in comparisons between the Fatip head and the current modified open comb version.

Chris, there was a lot of discussion on that razor here. The conclusion seems to be that the new modified OC is significantly more aggressive than the Fatip head.

Chris, there was a lot of discussion on that razor here. The conclusion seems to be that the new modified OC is significantly more aggressive than the Fatip head.

Thanks - that's saying quit a bit, as the Fatip is a pretty aggressive razor (IMHO).

And the head on mine isn't any of those 3.

Yikes !! Maybe I have a one-of-a-kind, worth millions.

Franz, thanks for your post and the pictures. Great stuff. I finally get it.

I had one of the "fatip" head razors a while back. It was a beauty but way too aggessive for me. I'm a slant user and I found the "fatip" razor to be too much. If the new model is even more aggressive than that, I'll probably pass on it. It's a beautiful thing to look at though.

Top Bottom