What's new

R41 is a great razor

Not been on the forum for a while but thought I would post.
For various reasons I have found myself with less and less free time and so the frequency of my shaves has died down a lot, after getting somewhat frustrated with my shaves due to the extra hair from shaving less frequently I decided to give the R41 a try.

After now using it I am kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner, I hadn't shaved for a while and had a full beard but this razor removed 90% of it in 1 pass!!!! Equally impressive is that due to the design of the razor all I had to do to remove the hairs from the razor was rinse it, no having to unscrew the razor head and no clogging of the razor.

I also found it a really easy razor to use which I don't usually find with open comb razors but this was really easy to find the right angle and when I finished there was no nicks, cuts or irritation, one thing I did find that seemed to be important for getting a good result is that this razor seems to work better with a thinner, slicker lather, I initially started the shave with a thicker lather and it felt a little rough so it added some more water to my brush and thinned the lather down and it worked like a charm.

Fairly sure I have the newer version with the reduced blade exposure but felt plenty aggressive, I had a look at the top caps for some of my other razors and I have an R89 top cap that is a good mm or two slimmer so I might try that next time for the extra blade exposure just to get a feel of what the old version was like.

I previously had a cheap Chinese Merkur clone that I used for those days when I had not shaved for a while that worked ok-ish but was a little rough, after using the R41 the Merkur clone went straight in the bin.

Works very well on an every-other-day schedule for me. It just took a few shaves to get familiar with it. Great razor, though it seems blades don't last as long with it for some reason.
My observations about the blades are exactly the same. I guess the wide angle of effectiveness eats away at the cutting edge much faster. Although I crawled Feather 4 times today and it was fine.

Love my Muhle R41 - especially for lazy shavers like me with 1 or 2 weeks growth.
It cuts through my beard no problem

And..... Having now used this razor a couple more times my impression is not so favourable now, for 2+ weeks of beard growth it is fantastic however I don't have the technique to use this for shaving anything less than a couple of weeks growth, have used it with a few days growth and it was rough, I will relegate this to use for when I haven't shaved in a while, shame as I was enjoying how easy it is to rinse clean compared to other razors.
My current favourite for an aggressive razor is the Ikon SB which is a similar level of aggression to the R41 but is much easier to dial in the correct angle.

And..... Having now used this razor a couple more times my impression is not so favourable now, for 2+ weeks of beard growth it is fantastic however I don't have the technique to use this for shaving anything less than a couple of weeks growth, have used it with a few days growth and it was rough, I will relegate this to use for when I haven't shaved in a while, shame as I was enjoying how easy it is to rinse clean compared to other razors.
My current favourite for an aggressive razor is the Ikon SB which is a similar level of aggression to the R41 but is much easier to dial in the correct angle.
Is that the Ikon B1 Standard?? I have it and the SBS model. Not sure about an SB.

Thoughts on the R41 3 pieces vs 2 pieces? I have a EJ DE86 and was planning to buy a R41 head to use with the EJ handle. Not sure if the weight balance would be off.

Thoughts on the R41 3 pieces vs 2 pieces? I have a EJ DE86 and was planning to buy a R41 head to use with the EJ handle. Not sure if the weight balance would be off.
Welcome to the forum, you have nothing to lose if you buy it to find out. Then you’ll be on your way seeking different rabbit holes lol

The R41 sure is an excellent razor. I find the Muhle handle to be too light and not grippy enough, but a stainless steel handle made it better for me. I can shave daily with the R41 for up to about two weeks before I start to get a little bored with it and some residual skin fatigue begins to develop. This razor will always be part of my rotation.

Top Bottom