What's new

Esterbrook

Just picked this up from the bay. It is an Esterbrook, but I don't know the model. The pen is black (plastic), 5 1/8" capped and 4 3/4" w/o cap. The nib is marked 2550 which I assume is the size? It came with 2 extra nibs a fine and a medium. I cannot raise the lever so I am assuming that the sac is bad.

Tom

Attachments

• $IMG_0400.jpg
    $IMG_0400.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 76
  • $IMG_0397.jpg
    $IMG_0397.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 76
  • $IMG_0398.jpg
    $IMG_0398.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 76
  • $IMG_0399.jpg
    $IMG_0399.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 76

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
2550 is extra fine bookkeeping, what else did you receive?

Nib chart FYI
proxy.php

Start soaking.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Always trying to help, you're welcome.

I'm putting together a little B&B pen repair kit, some shellac and a #16 sac, I'll send it around when needed.

I've always found the sections easy to remove on these. Should be pretty easy to determine what's up. The nibs unscrew from the section and the section can be pulled from the body (you can leave the nib screwed in if you'd like). Here is a picture that shows it somewhat clearly.

(picture borrowed from here: http://munsonpens.wordpress.com/category/esterbrook/)

Attachments

• $DSC_0004-2.jpg
    $DSC_0004-2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 70
Congratulations Tom, a fine specimen.

A warm water soak may help you free the various bits if they are stuck.

Always trying to help, you're welcome.

I'm putting together a little B&B pen repair kit, some shellac and a #16 sac, I'll send it around when needed.

That is a great idea! I just got my repair supplies yesterday to fix my two Sheaffer lever fills I picked up last week. Question for you, in a step-by-step that I think Dave/Greyfox linked to from FPN, they dipped the sac in talc after the shellac dried. Is there anything else I can use, or is it necessary? The only talc I have is Clubman talc, not sure if that will work.
Thanks,
Dave

I've also read that only pure talcs should be used. There's something about the oils in scented talcs that can make the sac wear quicker than normal, resulting in the sac breaking or failing sooner than it would otherwise. So, if you're going to use talc, it's best to use pure talc. As to the question about it being necessary ... I haven't found it necessary for every repair. The point of the talc is to ensure that the sac slides easily and doesn't snag on the J-bar, which could result in a tear. But I forgot to put talc on a couple and had no problems sliding them back into the barrel.

Yes, use pure talc. You can ID the pen at Esterbrook.net. The sac is probably bad, yes, but not being able to raise the lever is not always the reason. More than likely. Put some heat near the section to loosen it a bit then pull it out. Your sac will probably come out in pieces. that's okay. If you don't have a heat source like a hair dryer or even a candle flame (use both at a distance), hot water will work too.

If you've never resacced a pen, it can be a lot of fun. A bit much to buy for doing just one pen though, if you ask me. I may have a sac around for your pen. I'll have to check.

The nibs unscrew from the section and the section can be pulled from the body (you can leave the nib screwed in if you'd like).

I've heard that it's best to leave the nib screwed into the section when removing it from the barrel because when the nib is removed from the section, the section becomes weaker. Thus, when squeezing on a section with no nib in order to remove it from the barrel, it is more likely to result in a cracked section. On the other hand, I've removed sections that had no nibs in them when I got them and had no issues. So, it may not be that important, especially if one is careful with the amount of pressure being used, but I've heard it's best to leave the nib in the section until it's removed.

Well I soaked it in water and dish washing soap and it cleaned up. I was able to remove the section with a little hot water. It came apart surprisingly easy and the sac came out in one piece, but hard as a rock. The lever now works well with what seems like good spring tension. Doug, if you have that repair kit ready I would be honored to give it first whirl! Thank everyone for the posts and I am looking forward to using this one, especially as I will have repaired it.

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom