What's new

Styptic Pencil - How Often?

I have noticed several times that Jonathan's (JBHoren) SOTD posts always include "NO styptic pencil" and I got to wondering the last time I used one. Ya know, I really can't remember (that time on the Brides leg doesn't count!!!:w00t: )

How often do you have to use one?

If I shave with a Feather blade, about once every few shaves I get a tiny nik.

If I shave with any other blade, hardly ever. :001_smile

The odd time I do get a nik I use Proraso healing gel instead of a stypic pencil, just as I think its a bit more convenient.

This is based on the few weeks i've been using products other than shaving soaps/creams. When I was using Trumpers soaps etc, i'd get small niks on every other shave, but nothing too bad.

I've had a styptic pencil long before I started wet shaving.

I use it now the same way I did then. If I nick myself and it doesn't stop bleeding after the final rinse, I'll use the pen.

All of my recent attempts at giving myself a Columbian necktie while shaving amounted to nothing more than a red dot that stopped after an in between pass rinse.

I'm speculating that someone who mentions that says NO styptic pencil in their SOTD is pointing out that they did not try to commit seppeku that morning. :tongue:

It's funny - I bought one, used it once or twice, and now I haven't seen it in months. Good thing to have around of course but I can't see having to use it more than two or three times a year at most.

Less and less. Last time was probably about two weeks ago. I always use the same razor and blade setup (HD with IPs), so that consistency probably helps. But sometimes a subpar lather seems to lead to nicks. So does impatience.

With more experience and respect for the blades I use- less and less- but there is always that one occasion that you lose concentration and get sloppy- as with yesterday and leaning into my Feather A/C with a pro blade:eek: small but just a reminder that I am still alive:biggrin:

I have noticed several times that Jonathan's (JBHoren) SOTD posts always include "NO styptic pencil"...

Well, not always. There are the occasional nicks which time (that required for the remaining passes), the hot-and-cold rinses immediately following the shave, and a liberal application of Witch Hazel fail to close.

For those times, there's Styptic Pencil (accompanied by a frown :frown: )

Still, I never give up hope, because "Tomorrow's a new day!"

I focused so much on razors and creams that I forgot the pencil. Still don't have one. Don't feel the need for one - most nicks heal up before the ASB. If that fails - direct pressure. If that doesn't do it - I have a few tubes of Krazy Glue in the garage.

I find with a Derby blade I almost never nick myself enouh for it to bleed. With a Merkur and American Personna I have gotten bleeding nicks about twice.

Plus, Kiss My Face seems to have so many astringents if you use it I doubt you'ld bleed much, at all, unless it were a big cut.

I'd have to say the my use of one varies. But it's not very often and when I do need one they do the trick. If I don't use one, then the nicked spot tends to open up on the next shave.

I don't own a styptic pencil. Or any of the other "blood stoppers"! I just break open a bullet and use the gunpowder to cauterize.

Randy (okay, the styptic pencil part is true...)

I like to smear napalm all over my face.

It's thick enough that it doesn't run.

It has wonderful astringent properties and also exfoliates.

Had to write that I didn't really use it:a52: :a52: :a52:

This morning- new Feather, Slant, and sneeze- you do the math:a47:

Worked like a wonder- but really thought that the krazy glue might be better- two hours later and not really noticeable-

Side of face- just in front of my ear- at high point of my cheek bone.

Top Bottom