What's new

King ice bear stone progression

Has anyone here had experiance with King ice bear stones?
Its my understanding that the grit ratings a finer in comparasion to other stones.
From your experiance is king 4k-6k- than c12 a good progression on these stones?
My thinking is that the king 4k =norton 6k and king 6k=norton 8k than a king 6k to c12 is a good step.
Thanks

It really depends on the condition of the blade but with a butter knife sharp antique store find I start with 800 and then 1000,4000,8000 and finish with a chicom 12.

I have found with King hones that a slurry stone is not the way to go with a fine edge such as a straight as it would with a knife or even a chisel because the particulates raised seem to abrade the opposite edge on the return stroke with no definition and dull the edge, something to think about for all hones.

I have the king 1/6k, the 1k is now my preferred bevel setter over all my other stones, as for the 6k, I have not used it all that much, but have in the past used it with a slurry coming off the 1k, and thinning down to just water, then onto a 12k, and had good results, but my coti has made me lazy these days, so I don't do this progression anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only low grit stone is a king 1k/6k combo

My usual progression is 1k>6k>Chinese natural often involving slurries at some point or other.

It does seem a bargain for the price considering the ground it covers but I don't have experience of other options. I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Regarding the grit I was under the impression the Kings are generally finer than the Nortons when comparing equal grits. The king 6k being similar to a norton 8k for instance. Hopefully someone else can verify or correct this as I'm recalling old posts and not my own comparisons.

Top Bottom