What's new

AOS on Ebay

I ordered my Fusion set on May 17th and received it today. I looked very closely at the razor handle and could not see any AoS engraving or trademark.

There are a couple of problems with my set. The part that actually holds the cartridge is not straight. Holding the razor with the blades pointing away from me, this part is skewed towards the left. However, this part can be unscrewed from the handle. I've seen a website before that sells this part but it escapes me. I'll do a search shortly to try to find it again. Also, the stand base has some nicks and pits on the concave surface. It's nothing huge but they are easily seen by the eye.

The brush weighs 158.0 grams. The loft is ~59mm. The handle has a height of 44mm for a total height of 103mm. The I measured the base of the bristles and the diameter is 24.5mm. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. I can also measure any part of the set if anyone needs dimensions.

I'm new to wet shaving but I would say that the brush itself is worth $45. I love the handle on the brush and will keep it forever.

EDIT: I used some elbow grease was able to straighten out the skewed razor head by hand.

The ad on ebay for the Fusion did not say the razor was marked AOS. Only the ad for the Mach 3 indicated the razor was labeled AOS. Glad you like the brush. I agree, it is a very good brush. so good, I bought a second Mach 3 set. Thanks for the measurements.

Just open my second set with Fusion handle. Brush is amazing, can not tell the difference from my silvertip Shavemac, also Shavemac bristles appears to be slightly lighter, then AOS. I had the same issue with bent Fusion handle, which was not difficult to straighten out. Engraving on razor handle and brush appears identical, where Mach3 handle had coarse engraving VS brush handle.

R

Robspec

i just ordered a mach 3 set he had 7 when i ordered so 6 should be left
hope its the real seal and will keep everyone posted

When you unscrew the head from the razor included in the Mach 3 version, does the handle have male or female threads? If the handle has female threads, it seems like it might be possible to convert to DE using the Parker head available for $17 from TGN. It would require an M4-to-1/4 20 Adapter, but those are like $2.

Any thoughts?

When you unscrew the head from the razor included in the Mach 3 version, does the handle have male or female threads? If the handle has female threads, it seems like it might be possible to convert to DE using the Parker head available for $17 from TGN. It would require an M4-to-1/4 20 Adapter, but those are like $2.

Any thoughts?

I went ahead and got this set off Ebay after following this thread. Just like others have already said, the brush is very nice and the stand isn't too shaby either. I was hoping to convert the handle to use a standard DE head. I love my feather portable, but the handle is just too small for me for everyday use. Does anyone know where to get the aforementioned thread adapters?:blush:

Any thoughts?

Handle has female threads and it is easy to separate from head.

I'm going to take my Fusion handle from my AoS set from eBay and put the Parker DE razor head on it. I figured I might as well since I won't be using the handle otherwise.

Look for pics in the coming weeks.

EDIT: I went to Lowe's today to measure the male thread on the cartridge holder and it's 1/4" x 20, the same as the male thread on the razor head from The Golden Nib, so I don't need an adapter. I just ordered the razor head so it should be here sometime next week.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever contact the seller and ask him the story behind the pricing on these? I just curious on how they are so cheap.

Don't bother with the adapter from Thor Labs - does not work and the place charges very steep for shipping.

actually, it was the male threads that where far too short..oh well, it was an interesting experiment..

Sorry to hear about your problem, DanV. It's too bad it didn't work out for you.

Well, over three weeks later, I've finally gotten around to taking pictures of my little project. One thing that I do like about the DE head is that the bottom of the razor head has very nearly the same diameter as the top of the handle. When the head is screwed into the handle, it looks as if the head was made for the handle all along.

There are only two minor problems. The first problem is that the male thread on the Parker DE head is shorter than I would like. The head screws into the AoS handle just fine and it does not fall out but, ideally, I'd prefer if the thread is longer. The second problem is that the razor head color does not match the handle exactly. The handle has more of a yellowish tint.

I contacted Bob of Bob's Razor Works and he is able to help with the two problems. He's made a custom razor head base for someone with an AoS 'Engraved' handle before. Notice how much longer the thread is on his razor head base and even has a part that extends the threads since the handle has recessed threads. He is also able to plate the razor head or send it out for replating, I'm not sure which, to match the handle. I'm looking forward to having this custom work done. Unfortunately, it won't be for a while but I'll be sure to link to the new thread when I post pictures.

The following two pictures are what Bob sent to me of his previous work for a customer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom