What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

The Chubby isn't really all that old but it "Manchurian" whatever that means (certainly a scrubby little bugger). The PJ was reknotted by Berndt at Shavemac before I acquired a few years ago. A nice holiday brush - very luxurious.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=160955&stc=1&d=1304385465

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=160956&stc=1&d=1304385465

I think the brush on the right is not a PJ, but is the OB8, which seems to have been the inspiration for the B&B LE09 brush.

The Chubby isn't really all that old but it "Manchurian" whatever that means (certainly a scrubby little bugger). The PJ was reknotted by Berndt at Shavemac before I acquired a few years ago. A nice holiday brush - very luxurious.

Manchuria is a province in China. Since Simpsons have been using a Chinese badger, makes total sense :)

Keeping the thread alive...here's an old find in my drawer...will re-knot her someday since the best badger grade hair is all curled up around the outside...perfectly usable in the center though...don't you LOVE those curves!!! :w00t:

For your viewing pleasure, gentlemen, I present the Simpsons AS3M!

I've got two more to add to the thread. I'll post them separately.

First up, a Wee Scot that has been re-branded as a Hoffritz. I've seen a couple Wee Scots in this thread, but I don't recall seeing any other Hoffritz rebranded ones. On the other side, it still bears the Alexander Simpson signature. On the bottom of the brush, it's marked "Best Badger Sterilised."

Approximate measurements:
Handle height: 28.5 mm
Loft height (of highest remaining hair): 32 mm
Diameter: 14 mm

For reference, the comparison shot includes the following (l-r): Colonel X2L; Emperor 1; Harvard 2; Case; Wee Scot

Next up, is a B. B 3.

According to Gary, the "B.B" mark designates that it was designed and made specifically for Brooks Brothers. He also mentioned that some brushes designed and made for Brooks Brothers still bore the Simpson lampblacked stamp, which is the case on this brush. It's basically a chunkier and slightly fatter Persian Jar. I think the knot may be salvageable on this one.

On the front, it's marked "B. B 3, Best Badger, Simpson." There are no markings on the back or the bottom of the handle.

Approximate measurements:
Handle height: 46 mm
Loft heigh: 45 mm
Diameter: a hair over 21mm

For reference, the shot includes (l-r): Colonel X2L; Emperor 1; Harvard 2; B. B 3; Case

An old no 26 in pure badger near to an emperor with almost same handles.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to a very generous member (thanks Phil!) and good fortune with the latest fundraiser, I now own my first Vintage Simpson Butterscotch!

Looks very similar to current Persian Jars. On the front, it has the Simpson label along with the words "BEST BADGER" and the characters "OE3" - at least, that's what I think the letters are. They're pretty faded. The second character could be a B or an E, the third character could be a 3 or an 8.

On the back, it says "MADE IN ENGLAND" on one line, "G MEELS" on the next, and "PHILADELPHIA" on the third line. In a previous post looking for help identifying this brush, Phil said the 2nd line has the word GIMBELS. That would make a lot more sense. However, try as I may, I can't see the remnants of a letter I there - even using bright lighting and a 10X jewelers loupe.

Any help or pointers to information about this one would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That looks like the "OB8", which I believe may have inspired the B&B LE '09 brush. Gimbels was a department store chain here in the Philadelphia area that went belly up in the 80's.

Well, my new vintage Simpsons were came. First one is Somerset(Ilminster) era Commodore X2. And second one is 88 in pure badger. It has same specs as Eagle G2 and there is "2" underside of its box. Fyi, pure knot is not scritchy and reminds best to me.

Here's my AS2M that was ultimately reknotted with a 3-band super knot by Simpson. The first picture shows it with the new knot next to my 3-band X3 and Chubby 2 brushes. It has bloomed nicely and it is like lathering with a pillow but works equally well with soaps and creams. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom