What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

Left one 54 best Badger same letter and box design with simpson but no name right one Simpson 88 Reknotted two band finest.

I used to own this Colonel X3L. I assumed 70's vintage but not sure. The Best grade hair not only looked different but felt different too - less backbone.

...Ray

Those are some beautiful brushes! Thanks for sharing the photos. The only problem is, now I want one. This place is dangerous for the wallet. :lol:

Here's my Simpsons Best 2, year/type unknown, original knot:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are mines. And I am waiting my vintage Commodore X2. Sorry for my bad photos.
*First one is Geo F. Trumpers Berkeley 46 Pure.
*Second one is Special Best David Carter era.

After those ones that I can not restore them.
*Third one is Keyhole 2.
*Fourth one is Beaufort.
*And the last one I am not sure that one is Simpson but writs remind Simpson to me. There is "3" and "Pure Badger". However under those there is vertical scratches which looks like someone sanded it. By the way I love that handle which is 60mm tall very much so she deserves Bernd.:thumbup:

I used to own this Colonel X3L. I assumed 70's vintage but not sure. The Best grade hair not only looked different but felt different too - less backbone.

...Ray

Aha! We have proof that the Colonel had 3 sizes! This thread has an X1L, the X2L still is sold, and now the X3L.

I made a mental note to myself to keep an eye out for the X3L Bob, I was equally surprised when I saw it...and extremely glad I started this thread!

I got one to add to the compilation! I just got it today and I'll be re-knotting it because it's going bald quicker than I am. But I thought I'd post some photos now.

It's very faintly marked AS2M and while the "son" is the clearest part underneath, it still bears the faint mark of "Simpson" when the light hits it just right. The reverse side is stamped with "Strawbridge & Clothier Philadelphia."

For size reference, I included two comparison shots. The first group shot is L-R: Case, Harvard Two (H2), AS2M, and Emperor One (E1). As it was closest in size to the E1, I included a close up of the two of them. It's just a tiny bit shorter, but beefier than the E1.

I got one to add to the compilation! I just got it today and I'll be re-knotting it because it's going bald quicker than I am. But I thought I'd post some photos now.

It's very faintly marked AS2M and while the "son" is the clearest part underneath, it still bears the faint mark of "Simpson" when the light hits it just right. The reverse side is stamped with "Strawbridge & Clothier Philadelphia."

For size reference, I included two comparison shots. The first group shot is L-R: Case, Harvard Two (H2), AS2M, and Emperor One (E1). As it was closest in size to the E1, I included a close up of the two of them. It's just a tiny bit shorter, but beefier than the E1.

Nice find Brian. Have you seen this thread: Name This Simpson Beauty
it has info about the AS2M nomenclature :thumbup1:

Top Bottom