What's new

Rolex question

So, I'm trying to sell my bike, and I get an offer from a guy that's got a Submariner that wants to trade. I've been getting into watches lately, but still don't know much about them. I've got a Tissot Ttouch and the B&B Limited Edition.
I'm asking you guys that know a lot more about watches what kind of price this thing is worth. All I know so far is that it's a 1972 model. I've requested more info and pics. Also, what things to look for, as in condition. I don't even know really how to tell a good fake!
I'll update this thread when I get more info.
Thanks guys!

btw, I'm trying to sell the bike for 4500.

SS gold or PLT?
I would be careful and also have the watch in hand and take it to a reputable Rolex dealer to make sure it is authentic and have them send it in to Rolex to have it cleaned and verified. A lot of money and also unless you know this person well- quiet a chance to take.

Thanks for the tips guys. This guy hit me up on CL, so I haven't even met him yet. I also haven't heard back from him yet, so no more info or pics yet.

If it's a '72 model, and authentic, it may be worth MORE than $4,500.00. There are several important variables to consider when dealing with vintage Rolex, so be careful! For example, I assume the watch is a model 1680 with all white lettering on the dial. But, it could have a line of text with red lettering which would make it worth significantly more. There are other little this and that's as well, but no need to get carried away here...

Get some info and pics from the guy and send them to me if you want and I'll help you as much as I can. I have several friends who are Rolex freaks (much worse than me!), and if I can't help you they surely can!

I would consider asking this guy to meet you at a reputable watch place and see if they are willing to authenticate it for you on the spot (many will). If he seems hesitant to do that, you’ll have your answer.

If authentic, it may be worth more than your asking price but may also be in need of service which will set you back more $. Just something to consider if you plan on trading.

A Rolex that I bought in years ago in the PX in Germany for around $800 , was offered well over $8000 from a collector in Japan.

The old ones are worth serious money if a GMT with a Pepsi Dial.

Yes a vintage Rolex can be worth serious money however if you aren't an expert make sure you go with him to someone who is and can authenticate the watch which will probably mean opening the back and seeing the mvmt.

So, I'm trying to sell my bike, and I get an offer from a guy that's got a Submariner that wants to trade. I've been getting into watches lately, but still don't know much about them. I've got a Tissot Ttouch and the B&B Limited Edition.
I'm asking you guys that know a lot more about watches what kind of price this thing is worth. All I know so far is that it's a 1972 model. I've requested more info and pics. Also, what things to look for, as in condition. I don't even know really how to tell a good fake!
I'll update this thread when I get more info.
Thanks guys!

btw, I'm trying to sell the bike for 4500.

Dear friend,
If u want send me a scan of the watch or post a scan in this thread.

Happy to give u an advice !!

I need a scan of dial and reference between lugs.

Is many years that i'm in the tunnel of Rolex vintage.

I know very well all sub/sd vintage reference.

Thank you all gents for the advice. I believe were I to move forward with this I would try to meet him at a dealer and have it checked out.

However, I have yet to hear back from this guy. Oh well.

I would think it could be a fair trade. Newer submares go for right around 8-9 grand in SS. Or is that YM's? They're close, nonetheless.

Find out how its life has been. Regular servicing?

Get it checked out by more than one Rolex jeweler/ expert to see if it could be a replication. Being vintage, especially if it LOOKS vintage, I'd bet it's probably not. But, still. and, if the trader has nothing to hide it won't be an issue at all.

All checks out, I'd go for it. The jewelers will appraise it as well.

Without scan is impossible say something.

All door are open !!

From a collectable Sub date 1680 red letter to a frankestein watch !!

Is 15 years that i'm buy/trade vintage Rolex pieces.

My expertise is GRATIS !! :laugh:

near perfect ceramic dial submariners are for sale near me with eta swiss auto movements for about $200

they are masterful knockoffs , but still just a fake

even those early Comex submariners are for sale here with old style oyster bands and plastic dome type crystals

so make sure you know what you're buying

Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer Beware. A basic and valid principle in commerce: without a warranty the buyer takes the risk.

Top Bottom