What's new

Really Weird Shave Last Night

Before bed last night I went for a shave. Regular routine, shower, light face wash, olive oil pre Proraso Pre and then lather with regular soap and brush. (I did have lather issues, just couldn't seem to get it right.)

Used the Dovo 5/8" for the 1st pass (N-S), Proraso again, and then the 2nd pass XTG. By now, my face was absolutely on fire. Blade seemed fine on the razor, no tugging or pulling, just a nice crisp sound telling me (or so it seems) that it was cutting fine. (Note, almost no blood, a couple of small leakers)

I applied Pre again, relathered, and this time went S-N with the Fat Bot set on 3 with a 1 shave old Merkur. After the WWR, CWR, Alum block (didn't sting nearly as bad as it should have) and then another CRW before warm dry towel, my face didn't feel too bad, but wasn't nearly BBS IMHO. Applied MB Summer AS only, and off to bed after a tea.

Awoke this morning feeling fresh and fine, but almost nary a hint of stubble!!!!! What's up with that?? I mean, I'm not complaining that the shave ended up decent, just that it felt so bad last night and very reasonable this morning.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maybe too much pressure with the Dovo? That, I think, would explain the irritation at the time and how you went so long without noticeable stubble.

Also (in addition to just pressure) seems like an awful lot of Proraso Pre. Is that usual for you? Perhaps you got your pores so open and whiskers so soft that the str8 actually cut below the normal skin line.

Maybe too much pressure with the Dovo? That, I think, would explain the irritation at the time and how you went so long without noticeable stubble.

I concur with your observation.. I have done similar bad things to my face. Only other thing is that the Dovo could have been the slightest bit on the dull side driving you toward more pressure than is good for the ol' visage.

Top Bottom