What's new

Experienced Str8 Shaver... New Technique

I've been shaving with a str8, pretty much exclusively, for about 3 years. I had always held the razor in a conventional/traditional fashion... index and middle finger on the shank, ring finger in the tang (with the pinky kind of supporting it on the underside) and the thumb on the underside of the shank.

However, after seeing a youtube video (most of you have probably seen it, but here is a link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Fcmsj3md4, I decided to give his technique, in part, a try.

I did not adopt the three fingers on the spine, I stuck with two. But, if you notice, instead of putting his thumb on the underside of the spine, he actually puts it on the blade, itself. I tried it this morning, and have to say it gave me a whole lot more control of the razor. This is the first time I've tried it, but I think it really increased the quality of my shave (which had been just about perfect prior).

I can also attest that one does not need a big honkin' tattoo on one's shoulder, OR nipple rings to have this technique work. :eek: :biggrin: :w00t: :lol: :thumbup:

Give it a try. Amazing that I discovered such a significant change to my shaving technique after three years.

One other thing that I've recently adopted is that on my first pass, instead of going straight N/S on my cheeks, I kind of go in a SE path (down, and toward the outside) with the razor slightly angled so I am shaving in a perpendicular manner, as opposed to slicing. I don't know if my whisker growth changed, or if I just never paid attention, but that is the direction they grow on my cheeks. So, in essence, I am now truly shaving with the grain, where-as, in retrospect, I had kind of been shaving cross-grain on the first pass. This has also helped in the closeness/quality of my shaves... Less to clean-up on the second pass (which is cross-grain on the cheeks).

Drew

I used to put my thumb on the blade, but now use the "traditional" grip, first three fingers on the spine, thumb under the tang, and little finger on the monkey tail.
Is that a frameback he's using?

I think its a shavette - I don't think anyone would rinse a traditional straight so vigorously in the sink for fear of damaging the edge!

Pretty interesting angle he's using there.

I don't know about you, but I don't want my thumb anywhere near that edge. There are enough thingd to watch without worrying about that.

I never found that my thumb was endangered, it stays still, so theres no risk there, and if you've not used one before, the traditional grip can feel a little pracarious anyway, so wrapping most of your hand around it feels OK.
I used to go over and over the same spot until there could be no TRACE of lather there. Then I realised that once was enough, and my face felt a whole lot better!

I am also amazed at the number of 'sub-passes' with each pass. Even Lynn on his video seems to go over the same area of skin multiple times with each pass. I always understood (and found) that it is less irritating to just make one swipe, maybe two if overlapping the next area, per pass, Maybe this is why I am not BBS after two passes, but with a good, sharp edge I can get pretty darn close. This, only WTG and 45 degrees ATG/WTG. Minimizes my ingrown hairs two days down the line also.

During my shave today I made an attempt to see if I was able to shave placing my thumb on the blade. Well, HECK NO!!! I just could not do this and not have the blade stop when it hit the bone!!! Although his thumb is actually on the side of the blade I dont think I'll be trying that move any time soon.

Raf

I am also amazed at the number of 'sub-passes' with each pass. Even Lynn on his video seems to go over the same area of skin multiple times with each pass. I always understood (and found) that it is less irritating to just make one swipe, maybe two if overlapping the next area, per pass, Maybe this is why I am not BBS after two passes, but with a good, sharp edge I can get pretty darn close. This, only WTG and 45 degrees ATG/WTG. Minimizes my ingrown hairs two days down the line also.
As a general proposition it's not the number of passes that matter, but the quality of the passes.

People complain about the number of passes when they shave too aggressively. When you do reduction you don't cut to the skin, so how could you irritate the skin then if you do it right. I could do those kinds of passes all day without a problem.

With reduction, you don't cut to skin until the last pass, and that's your ATG pass. If you reduced properly, you're down to a fine stubble and you can use a very light touch with the razor, which gives a lot more control. That avoids producing irritation by overshaving (shaving off skin).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
These new kids! Why he need 30 strokes on each inch of face is beyond me. :mellow:
poor stropping? :001_tt2:
I don't know about you, but I don't want my thumb anywhere near that edge. There are enough thingd to watch without worrying about that.

:scared:

To each his own, and I always welcome fellow shavers offering suggestions of new methods they've tried ... I'll see how this one feels in the hand ...

I would just add one thing here... I use my pinky to support the monkey tail from the bottom (ring finger is in the monkey tail). Therefore, there is some balance to how the razor is positioned in the hand. Putting your thumb on the blade definitey puts some downward pressure on the razor, but the position of my pinky really balances it out. Without that positioning of the pinky, it may feel awkward.

All I know, is after about two weeks of using this technique, I am sold... I have significantly better control of the razor now, which has allowed my shaves to get that much better.

best,
Drew

I found a couple of things interesting. First was the number of short, choppy, strokes as mentioned. Second was the angle he seemed to be holding the razor at in relation to his skin - at times it seemed almost 90 degrees, though this could be due to camera angle. I've seen this thumb-on-blade grip used by pro barbers for fine work as it does give great control and stops the blade from torquing over pretty much at all.

All in all it looked a bitty shave and if I tried it my face would be glowing like a coal afterwards - one reason I do try the 'Be-a-hero-****-watch-my-ear' method of minimum shaving strokes! :c6:

Top Bottom