What's new

Open comb Tech?

Does anyone know of a Gillette No. 44 that is an open comb design? I wonder if someone mixed this up -- even though it looks like it was never used. Will get some better photos tomorrow to show it more clearly. But what's up with this? Did I miss something in my research or discover something unique?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I never saw a fat handled Tech with an OC head before.

proxy.php

Will get a couple more in-focus photos tomorrow to display this oddity.

Hi Jake, You always come up with the most beautiful razors. It seems like some of the elements of your set is shared with these. Achim has said in passing that he seems to find a fair number of sets mixed from the 30s and 40s.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a similar New with Tech handle that came from France. Here are some quick phone pics of the razor.

proxy.php

I use to own the fat handled Tech New shown below. It came in a lot that I purchased, but I always thought it was a mismatch.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have a similar New with Tech handle that came from France. Here are some quick phone pics of the razor.

proxy.php

I use to own the fat handled Tech New shown below. It came in a lot that I purchased, but I always thought it was a mismatch.

proxy.php

those are phone pics?
You are fooling with us, no?

Thanks for your comments and additional photos and insights. A different bottom of the head than the 1941 Tech displayed by Achim, the one in the brown bakelite case, but pretty similar.

Here are a few more photos of my open comb tech razor -- that was apparently made in England. The handle of the OC version is smaller diameter and shorter than the usual fat-handle tech. And the fat handled razor is a never been out of the wrapper razor, which is why the head has the cellophane around it.

Interesting variation on a theme. Nice razor too. And a surprise to me since I had not really noticed the open comb design until just the other day.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The fun and challenges of reconstructing the history of the Gillette razors...

Last edited:
Given the consistancy of the "Mismatched" sets I wonder if maybe they where done on purpose at various times. Having worked in retail for a long time almost every manufacturer/distributor will have "Special Buys" or some such. Often these are items either outdated, overruns, or retailer/distibutor specified packages. Is it reasonable to think maybe during holidays a/o certain times of year Gillette may have taken overrun parts and assembled razors to be sold at a cheaper price as promos? We know this was done with the goodwills to be sold at a lower price to intro tthe new blade style. It also would not be suprising that these would not be listed in any catalog as they would have been pushed just by their sales people. It seems to me to be a reasonable explanation to some of the new in box/mintish "Frankenrazors" we see. Just my thoughts.

Jay

Thread Necromancy.

I did a Rube Goldberg version of this using a 'flat bottom' English Tech cap & handle with a New SC base plate. IMO shaved just like the New. YMMV.

The baseplate on your razor Jake, seems more closely related to that of an English New, rather than that of an OC Tech. I'll post a photo in a few minutes to show what I mean.

In the first photo, the English Tech is on the left, note the corner teeth. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418379309.067977.jpg
The next photo is the Tech,
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418379361.817924.jpg
And here's the English New,
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418379399.420411.jpg
I hope this helps.

It looks like an English NEW head on a thin Tech handle. Definitely one of those neat mixed sets.

I have a couple of the Open Comb Tech razors:
$OC Tech 1.jpg

Gosh, I never even knew there were OC Techs. They sound right up my alley, as I love open comb razors, and I find my SB Tech too mild. Are there many of these about, or are they great rarities?

Gosh, I never even knew there were OC Techs. They sound right up my alley, as I love open comb razors, and I find my SB Tech too mild. Are there many of these about, or are they great rarities?

I've heard they shave just like regular Techs.

These are not very common though, good luck finding one.

Top Bottom