What's new

Bad batch of Isralies??

hey guys i just got my sample pack from west coast shaving to day and was hoping to try one of the isralies . All the blades seem to be tarnished has any one else experienced this ?

full

full

thanks for any help
Edit sorry wrong blade name in topic

Last edited by a moderator:
From my untrained eye, it seems to be discoloration fron an annealing process.

Process Annealing is used to treat work-hardened parts made out of low-Carbon steels (< 0.25% Carbon). This allows the parts to be soft enough to undergo further cold working without fracturing. Process annealing is done by raising the temperature to just below the Ferrite-Austenite region, line A1on the diagram. This temperature is about 727 ºC (1341 ºF) so heating it to about 700 ºC (1292 ºF) should suffice. This is held long enough to allow recrystallization of the ferrite phase, and then cooled in still air. Since the material stays in the same phase through out the process, the only change that occurs is the size, shape and distribution of the grain structure. This process is cheaper than either full annealing or normalizing since the material is not heated to a very high temperature or cooled in a furnace.

Very odd, indeed. Please contact me through a PM or website and I will send you a replacement ASAP. If you don't mind, can I use those photos to talk with my supplier?

As long as they shave well, who cares what they look like, IMO? To me, they look like oil stains like somebody else pointed out, they usually coat them in mineral oil a bit, but I could be wrong.

As long as they sahve well, who cares what they look like, IMO? To me, they look like oil stains like somebody else pointed out, they usually coat them in mineral oil a bit, but I could be wrong.

well until i get an answer of what it is there is no way they are going near my face lol

I must give an A+++++ to John for the customer service he is giving me . Great guy .

A public thank you to John .

Here's a follow-up to the weird looking Crystal blades. The discoloration came from the coating process. When the blades are coated, they are clamped together in a cast iron "sled" in bayonet form. This then enters the sintering oven where the coating is applied. The oven is around 600 degrees Celsius. When the parts cool, the clamps are removed and the end blades are thrown away due to discoloration from the heat of the clamps. The blades in question were not properly disposed.

As much as it pains me, I have to say this about John (letterk).:eek: As long as he has been offering the sample packs, this is the first time I have seen anything come up about them. Period. That says something about his attention to detail, and his integrity. And if I remember correctly, at best he breaks even on these. So give the man a round of applause for his commitment to helping others. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And John, I'll pm you my address for the $5 bucks you promised me for posting this!:001_tt2:

Randy

And John, I'll pm you my address for the $5 bucks you promised me for posting this!:001_tt2: Randy

Oh...when you said 5 bucks, I though you were talking deer. Ummm... Randy, when you get that package, pay no attention to the smell or noise and just send it back.

Oh...when you said 5 bucks, I though you were talking deer. Ummm... Randy, when you get that package, pay no attention to the smell or noise and just send it back.

save your self the trouble just send those bucks to me they make GREAT sausage .

Top Bottom