What's new

Shaving Fact or Fiction-Cartridge Edition

Is it true that a single pass with a 5-bladed cartridge is equivalent to 5 individual passes with a SE or DE razor? I have experienced difficulty with razor burn, since my obsessive search for a bbs leads me to make multiple passes with my cartridge razor. A buddy of mine recently told me that a cartridge razor with multiple blades is the WORST possible thing for someone like me to use, since each swipe/pass results in 3, 4, or 5 blades dragging along my skin. He basically argued that when dealing with a multiblade cart, the number of "passes" increases exponentially, due to the presence of multiple blades, all of which are obviously in contact with your skin for the duration of the individual pass. So 3 passes with a Gillette Fusion over a single area of skin amounts to 15 "individual passes", which is obviously dangerous. Does he have a point or is he employing "fuzzy math" in an attempt to get me to switch to a DE? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

I don't know on the particulars, but I used to get nasty razor burn periodically with a cart. Now, even if my prep's the same- Barbasol and shaving in the shower- I very rarely indeed get any form of razor burn.

Try 3 passes with a Fusion on one side of your face and 15 passes with a DE on the other and see which one still has skin on it.

I am not an expert on the Fusion, since I never graduated past 2 blade cartridge systems but i doubt blades 3, 4 & 5 do much whisker cutting ... I have a feeling that blades 1 and 2 do most of the work while the other 3 just scrape skin ... however, I may be mistaken

I'd be one of the first people around here to try figuring out the science behind shaving, but if you're trying to avoid razor burn, your need to let your face guide you. Forget about how many blades and passes makes what. I doubt they add up that simply, for a variety of reasons. You obviously need to try something else. He's making a suggestion--one that a lot of people have used successfully, and gone from burn to a pleasant and good looking shave.

The first things I'd look at are your prep and the shaving cream/soap, then some post shave product. A DE could sure be in the mix. So tell us more about your routine.

I have shaved with many carts in my 59 years.....but have yet to have the skin dragged off my face from multiple blades....yeah....its fuzzy math!:laugh:

Another thing to keep in mind is that by the time the last couple of blades move across the skin most, if not all, of the lather has been removed by the first couple of blades.

One thing that I have heard is that while there are 3-5 (or 6) blades on the cartridge. One of the problems is the first blade becomes dull faster, so in the long run if someone uses a cartridge past the "lifetime" of the blade cartridge they are actually gliding dull and somewhat sharp blades across their face. Which is worse that using just one blade in a DE or SE that might be slightly dull, IMHO. This makes knowing when your razor is dull and when you may not be getting the best shave, because you just have to rely on feedback from on blade not 5 blades that are of different sharpness.

Some good points. I'd add that there is little protecting you from the center blade when you go over areas like your chin - so going over the same spot on your chin a few times with a 5-blade cartridge is almost sure to give you razor burn.

In general, it is fuzzy math. Different blades, different angles, different levels of sharpness, different pressure, different protection.

Fuzzy math.

A long-touted dictum on these boards, but certainly not true. In fact, the opposite is probably true; I'd venture that one pass with a 5-bladed cartridge provides MUCH less irritation than 5 passes with a single blade. The pressure you exert on the razor (which, even if you try really hard, can NEVER be zero or no hairs would get cut) is distributed among the blades on a cartridge razor. All of it is put into ONE blade when you shave with a DE.

It's not just the blade that you need to look at. It's also which shaving cream you're using and how you prep your face prior to shaving.

If you still experience razor burn even after using a cartridge blade, I highly suggest re-evaluating the shaving creams, pre-shave oils/lotions, etc. that you're using. It's definitely time to switch to something else.

The pressure you exert on the razor (which, even if you try really hard, can NEVER be zero or no hairs would get cut) is distributed among the blades on a cartridge razor. All of it is put into ONE blade when you shave with a DE.

+1. My favorite cartridge razor is still the Fusion, the closeness of the blades makes it much less irritating for me than a Mach 3.

The real problem with multiple blades is when you go ATG. I honestly think that WTG DE=Cart when it comes to irritation level. Closeness, well that's different.

For me the pressure needed to get close with a cart is what gave me the ingrowns that I no longer get. I still have to be careful with the DE to avoid razorburn but my skin is much happier.

I fully agree that DE is the way to go. Finding the right combo (razor, blade) and what creams work for you may take some time but 1) It is much less expensive (once you get over your RAD) and it does provide less irritation and closer shaves. I just shaved tonight with one WTG pass and my face is very smooth and I do have a full, thick beard (and super sensitive skin, the worst combo).

Chris

thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I will probably switch from 5 bladed carts to the Sensor for now, hoping that less blades = less irritation.

Last edited:
thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I will probably switch from 5 bladed carts to the Sensor for now, hoping that less blades = less irritation.

I think most of the previous input was comparing a DE to carts in general. If you move from a Fusion to a Sensor, you are choosing between one cart and another (not a DE and carts) - so I am not sure how much the above advice translates. Although, I guess it's always a great idea to switch things up and try new options if you feel like it can improve your shave. Good Luck.

Being much older than most on this forum, my 1st half of my life was spent shaving with a double edge (that's all there were). I have used all the razor types up to the very latest and have setttled on Mach 3. This forum has improved my shaving and my skin vastly just by learning from you and the other sources others have mentioned by "wet shaving" techniques (brush, creams, soaps etc) and learning not only how to shave but how to enjoy it as well. Cartridges 1 to x blades offer not so much how many blades but the angle so it becomes difficult to cut or irritate your skin. BUT! they also allow you to use poor technique and get by. Badger and Blade members instill into you the correct and FUN and ENJOYMENT of shaving no matter what instrument you choose. Probably the only "bad" I have learned is that of buying different brushes, creams and soaps. But, again, this is the fun of shaving and it is a shame that it has taken me over 70 years to learn it.

Carts are designed to be (relatively) user-friendly. On the plus side, this means it's a lot harder to cut yourself using a cartridge. However, it also means the blades don't get as close to the hair, while at the same time pressing down on the skin, which might be the cause of the tugging and pulling and irritation.

Personally, I've found that I can get a BBS shave with a cartridge, but a DE razor BBS will last much longer -at least 24 hours, usually, as opposed to only a working day's length before feeling stubble again.

Top Bottom