What's new

Seiko Vs. Citizen

It has nothing to do with the brand. It depends what kind of crystal is used. Most likely if your Citizen is really scratched up, it's probably using an acrylic crystal. On lower end Seiko watches, they tend to use Hardlex (Seiko's version of mineral glass) which is much more durable and resistant to scratching. The toughest crystal would be sapphire which is used on most mid-tier and high end watches.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If I were buying a watch with newer technology, I'd lean to Citizen. When it comes to automatics, I'd lean toward Seiko.

This! My experience with Hardlex is very positive, but sapphire is king.

It has nothing to do with the brand. It depends what kind of crystal is used. Most likely if your Citizen is really scratched up, it's probably using an acrylic crystal. On lower end Seiko watches, they tend to use Hardlex (Seiko's version of mineral glass) which is much more durable and resistant to scratching. The toughest crystal would be sapphire which is used on most mid-tier and high end watches.

I have a couple of Seiko's with Sapphlex glass, which I believe is Hardlex with a Sapphire coating, kind of a compromise between Hardlex and Sapphire I guess. I am careful with my watches so can't really say if they are any more scratch resistant than Hardlex/Mineral glass

$IMG_2395.jpg

That's about 9-10 years of severe abuse on this one. Crystal is chipped; quite a few scratches and dings all over it. Still keeps perfect time and hasn't missed a lick.

Citizen Eco Drive systems seem to be bulletproof. Just "because".......
I put this watch into semi-retirement and got a new generation Eco Drive with the Atomic timekeeping feature. Requires NO user input other than to put it on....

Top Bottom