What's new

Gillette Super Blue blades?

Yes, they are good: see my thread "Feather, measure of all blades"

I agree with some of your findings, but I could never get on with Astra SPs for some reason. Derbys are awful for me, and Wilkinson Swords not much better (although I like the Gillette version).

Are the Super Blues current production?

Wil sent me some to try a year or two ago and I loved them :thumbup1:

Gillette Super Thin blades from Shanghai are available in the US now so it's not unlikely that these will appear sooner or later also. I for one would buy 'em.
Wp

Cool! Somebody in the US has them? Who? I am interested in trying these. I have yet to find a blade that works well for me.

I know it's bad form to answer one's own post, but I just wanted to add that I found a couple of sellers in California on ebay that sells the Chinese-made Gillette Super Thin blades. But they only sell in lots of 100 or more. I have a post in the WTB to get somebody to send me a couple of these to try. They may just be what my face has been waiting for!

Cool! Somebody in the US has them? Who? I am interested in trying these. I have yet to find a blade that works well for me.

The Super Blue aren't available in the US yet but soon could be the Super Thin blades are available on ebay and David from Darks Blade Supply has them at a really good price for 100. Great blades.
Wp

The Super Blue aren't available in the US yet but soon could be the Super Thin blades are available on ebay and David from Darks Blade Supply has them at a really good price for 100. Great blades.
Wp

My Super Blues haven't arrived yet but I have had good results with the Super Thins.

The Super Thin Platinums are a bit smoother - I very much recommend trying them as well. I'm not sure where they are made but mine have an address in Viet Nam written on them (which with Gillette blades doesn't necessarily indicate the place of manufacture).

My Super Blues haven't arrived yet but I have had good results with the Super Thins.

The Super Thin Platinums are a bit smoother - I very much recommend trying them as well. I'm not sure where they are made but mine have an address in Viet Nam written on them (which with Gillette blades doesn't necessarily indicate the place of manufacture).

Also made by Gillette Shanghai

Hello I am once again getting back into wet shaving my new razor is a gillette adjustable 1-9 and have tried to look up the blade that was in the razor when I bought it. The razor blade says gillette super blue made in USA with patent numbers on it. Has anybody seen made in USA ones. I will post a pic here shortly of both sides. Thank You good info here

here's those pics
$photo.jpg$photo-1.jpg

Hi snnvy, and welcome. Unlike the Chinese-made blade that is the subject of this thread, that blade of yours is a vintage unit from 1963 (3rd quarter, per the "I 3" date code). It's carbon steel rather than stainless. I don't think I'd try shaving with it if it were found installed in a vintage razor, but I might if I found it in original packaging and if it looked to be in good condition.

proxy.php

I tried one of those today in a 40's Super Speed, from the original dispenser shown, and it was God-awful. It's a shame. I was expecting better. I replaced it with my usual Dorco Red and enjoyed a DFS. And that's my review.

Last edited:
I tried one of those today in a 40's Super Speed, from the original dispenser shown, and it was God-awful. It's a shame. I was expecting better. I replaced it with my usual Dorco Red and enjoyed a DFS. And that's my review.

I just tried one for the first time tonight and agree completely. My blade isn't colored blue, but the wrapper says "Super Gillette Blue Blades" and they're from China. Worst shave I've had since going DE. Tugged and ripped at my beard instead of cutting cleanly. Visible stubble even after three excruciating passes.

Only positive things I can say are that there was absolutely no irritation nor even any alum sting. No cuts, no nicks, no weepers.

Top Bottom