What's new

Opinions on Open Comb razors

In and of itself, the type of comb doesn't really matter. There are much more significant differences between the types of razors, the comb is the smallest of them.

I would go for the Old Type.

I much prefer the shave of the Old Type over the NEW.

I found the Merkur 11c to so mild it was practically useless for me.

1 vote for the joris. They are beautiful and very well made with a large hefty handle. I would caution you if you are new to de shaving as razor burn is easy to achieve wth some open combs. Get used to de sahving first before attempting an open comb shave

It seems like from pictures and just the overall vibe I get for lack of a better term, from seeing open combs, is that it will help with the angle so in that way It could help me as a new shaver.. but that might just be me. Also, in your opinion, the NEW is mild from what I hear, and you're saying some open combs, considering the mildness, the NEW should be okay right? I'm having a big problem with my futur, that's why I want to avoid it as much as possible, but my beard grows fast so its not too easy to avoid it. Thank you for the input though I will take it into consideration.

I prefer the OC to a straight bar. I like the fact that the OC does not scrape off all of the lather in advance of the blade, and generally I feel like I get a smoother, closer shave. I also like the feel of the comb on my skin. The Gillette New (I prefer the short comb variety) are fine shavers that can be had for little investment. I also like my Merkur 1904 OC, which can be had brand new for less than $30.

What do you think of the long comb version? Is the difference very existent?

yes the new...

Is that yours? it looks good. Is that the short comb or long comb, sorry if that's a stupid question I can't tell. Is the handle hollow inside, sometimes to me it seemed like it from certain angles, but I'm pretty sure its not hollow just wondering if I'm correct?

I think the New (long or short comb) is a great, great razor. It's especially good for those with hair that grows very close to the skin, especially on the neck. It's rapidly becoming my go-to razor.

Good input. Thank you. Very direct. I like the answer.

For a new to DE shaving guy, the gillette new is a good bargain. For a little more experienced, a bullmastiff new from bobs razor works would be a bit better. For me......nothing beats the Gillette Aristocrat #15.

For a new to DE shaving guy, the gillette new is a good bargain. For a little more experienced, a bullmastiff new from bobs razor works would be a bit better. For me......nothing beats the Gillette Aristocrat #15.

Of course you are talking about a serious chunk of change for one of these :001_tt1:

i was self taught on a gillette old type OC for 6 years, just bought a murkur progress and 23C Long-Handle OC. i have gone back to the open comb because of the simplicity.

:shaving:

I'm thinking about getting an open comb razor. What are your opinions on open combs compared to straight bar/closed combs? Does it help with the angle and give a better shave? What is the best open comb razor for new shavers like myself? One seemingly good one is the GoodFella razor, but I'm looking for something less expensive than that.

I suffer from heavy beard and sensitive skin. So, for me an OC is generally too aggressive, unless I haven't shaved for a day or two.

But, I think you can do better than a goodfella, at least price wise. I found them super aggressive and pricey (I got in on the initial US offering and got a decent price). I think you'd do better with a vintage gillette if you want to give one a go. Maybe a NEW.

First off, never feel bad about asking a question. You are trying to learn and that is never a bad thing.

I like open combs and closed. The NEW and the old type are both excellent shavers. Some find one or the other more smooth, but the only way for you to find out what works for you is to try both.

Both the old and NEW can be found very reasonably. Keep an eye on Ebay or, better yet, your local antique malls.

I like the way that they both feel, but increasingly prefer the old over the NEW, but not by much.

I enjoy the open combs because they do such a great job of getting those pesky lay-down neck hairs.

Frankly, they also have a lot of style and you have to love that!

Can't go wrong with a NEW. I came across a Sheraton a few month back, and I really like the way it shaves also.

I enjoy the open combs because they do such a great job of getting those pesky lay-down neck hairs.

I have a variety of 1950's and 60's Gillettes, but have wondered what the benefit of using an older razor. It seems that most of them seem to be open comb. I've shied away from them because of some experience using a modern three piece razor and preferring TTO.

I'm curious as to what benefits I would pick up by going open comb?

It seems like from pictures and just the overall vibe I get for lack of a better term, from seeing open combs, is that it will help with the angle so in that way It could help me as a new shaver.. but that might just be me. Also, in your opinion, the NEW is mild from what I hear, and you're saying some open combs, considering the mildness, the NEW should be okay right? I'm having a big problem with my futur, that's why I want to avoid it as much as possible, but my beard grows fast so its not too easy to avoid it. Thank you for the input though I will take it into consideration.

The comb, by itself, does not make a razor mild or aggressive. The NEW is NOT a mild razor. I would suggest something like a vintage SS or Edwin Jagger DE (nope, they're not open combs).
When you ask, "does it help with the angle?" the answer is it depends. The NEW is less forgiving for the correct angle than the above mentioned razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom