What's new

Help me build a 7 day rotation of watches

So you are going to go from Oct to April without wearing the GMT IIc, and you are going to go from April to Oct without wearing the Epos Grand Complication. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also if you change the GMT IIc and put it on a strap (like I know you do) does that change it from and an Alpha to a Bravo and thus make it a Charlie?

One week is all you lasted with the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, rotation. I actually expected longer.

Top row: Stowa Antea KS - Sentimental value and even though its now one of my 'cheaper'' watches I'll never sell it
IWC Mark XVI - a lot more expensive than a Stowa Flieger A but I got this for a great deal and the difference is worth it to me. I was looking at getting the bracelet for it but $1,000 (used). Ouch.
Omega Planet Ocean - was thinking of something else to fill the diver niche in my collection but decided to stretch my budget a bit for this minty 2500D verision of the Planet Ocean. Now wearing it custom strap. Had thought PO was too big before but on strap I like it a lot.
missing - Stowa Baumuster B - I just reacquired this one when I saw it for sale again. Fills the empty slow in my watch box and lessens the temptation to fill it with something really expensive...

Bottom row:

Omega Aqua Terra - first time I saw pics of it I wasn't a fan and took awhile for it to grow on me, but now that I have bought one and have it, I don't think I can do much better in a watch without spending into the five figures. Mine has almost quartz like accuracy.

Grand Seiko SBGR053 - didn't see what all the fuss was about with GS until I saw one in person. Decided to give it a try since it was priced about the same as an Omega and absolutely love it. Compared it side by side with a Explorer I and I still would take the GS over it... whereas before I had this Explorer I was one of my ''grails''

Damasko DA 36 Black- thats my third Damasko DA 36 but this time with the black case

Casio G Shock 5600E - don't wear it but its in the box to set the time for my other watches.

I wear my Aqua Terra and Damasko the most right now but all get quite a lot of wrist time.

Attachments

• $rsz_dsc02177.jpg
    $rsz_dsc02177.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 128
I know in your OP you said you like to wear watches that are a bit different...but I think no collection should be without an Omega Speedmaster. It's the quintessential watch and whether you're talking to collectors in the high, middle or low end....everyone pretty much agrees its a must in a true collectors set.

Particularly if you can find one with the original 321 movement.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered by the Omega faithful here I have to disagree (sort of). So the sort of is because I do really like the Speedmaster, I like the heritage, I like the classic look, I like that they still make it in a manual wind, I like that the manual movement still resembles the original Lemania movement. The piece I can’t get over with Omega is why there are so many of them on the re-sale market. I review, the buy and sell for watchuseek and kijiji every day and I cannot get over the qty of Seamaster and Speedmasters that are being hocked. I just did a count on page one of watchuseek, there are 150 postings and of that 8 are for Seamaster’s and 3 are for Speedmaster’s. If you factor in the Deville’s and other Omega’s 10% of the page is re-sale Omega, the only thing that beats them is G-Shocks. Why are there so many Omega’s up for re-sale?

What's the next luxury brand that comes close? My guess is Rolex. The number for resale is certainly not about the quality of the movements, but simply about the number of them in the market. Rolex and Omega are arguably the two most ubiquitous "luxury" watch makers worldwide....as such, you'll see more of them on the street and up for resale. The postings on Timezone are always filled with these two brands. You see more Omegas because they are at a slightly lower price point (IMHO due to the name recognition of Rolex), thus they are available to a larger percentage of the population.

Conversely, this is also the reason why you almost never see A.Lange Sohne watches anywhere....

Gentlemen....The thread is about rotation of a watch collection. Not about the best, which is a long list...Or the worst, which is a much shorter list....:001_cool:
And even more important why was Mr.Cool Guy moved?

Gentlemen....The thread is about rotation of a watch collection. Not about the best, which is a long list...Or the worst, which is a much shorter list....:001_cool:
And even more important why was Mr.Cool Guy moved?

Well said LBF...shut up and stick to the point of the OP...Roger, I get it! LOL

to answer the question re: the speedy, I have had a look at them, but I find they wear a bit too large for me and I'm not a huge fan of chronos nor acrylic cyrstals.
I have looked at Rolex Sub as well just not a huge fan of the price....

I need to update with this thread with a current SOTC shot. Haven't made any changes for six months until now andI just sold the PO and Grand Seiko and sold the Mark XVI awhile ago.

Found the PO too heavy on bracelet and didn't like it as much on strap and still a bit too heavy/thick to wear for me.
I replaced it with a 2254.50 which I prefer.
Grand Seiko out because I found I prefer the Aqua Terra and as much as I liked it I couldn't love it because it came to me used and I prefer my watches in new or almost new condition now. At least when I get them.

Mark XVI was out but incoming I have a Sinn 556A incoming. I am going in a circle since I started this hobby with a Sinn 656 now coming back to my old favorites.

I just pulled the trigger on a Damasko DA 47. I tried the DA46 before but didn't keep it because I thought it was a bit too big but after getting used to larger watches like the PO I think that the DA 47 should be around longer. If not, it should sell pretty fast.

Finally I also have a Nomos Orion Rosé incoming (along with the 556A). My first Nomos. I think if I like the Orion the next purchase will be a Nomos Club.

I thought it would be fun to update this thread after a long absence from these forums.
Now I have bought 89 watches since I started this thread over 6 years ago and feel like I'm done with the watch buying/selling/trading for awhile.

My collection now is:

1) Casio G Shock 5600E
2) Stowa Antea KS
3) Seiko SKX009
4) Seiko SARB035
5) Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
6) Rolex Explorer I 114270
7) Rolex Explorer II 16570
8) Rolex No Date Sub 14060M

Actually, I enjoy the Seikos as much as I enjoy the Rolexes.
I don't have any desire to add anything else or to swap out any of my watches for something different.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
One of these days I am going to have a SARB065 Cocktail Time. The dials on those things are beautiful.

If it was me, I'd definitely add at least one Vostok Amphibia..........
Carries the same DNA as the watches that were worn by Soviet Navy Divers in the 1960s - yours for around $50
Water resistant to 200m and built like tanks, just remember to replace the factory bracelet with your own aftermarket strap or bracelet - then auction the factory bracelet on eBay for $10 to recoup part of the cost

I've got 4 on a 4 week rotation..........

Black Dial 060 with a 710 Bezel and 18mm solid link brushed stainless bracelet
Blue Dial 100 on 22mm Shark-mesh bracelet
Black "Scuba Dude" Dial 710 with custom 420 Bezel and 22mm solid link Oyster bracelet
Blue Dial 090 with 120 Bezel and 22mm solid link "Breitling Bentley" style bracelet

$20160930_110651.jpg

Three very important facts that I read about Vostok Amphibias.............

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2. You get a lot of bangs for your buck with a Vostok Amphibia
3. One Vostok Amphibia is never enough

Prepare for a deep rabbit hole

Top tip -
If you like the 710 model and the new 150 model Amphibias, buy a blue dial 710 with a spare 120 bezel - modding the 710 with the 120 bezel creates a very close homage to the 150

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
[MENTION=108689]adamchur[/MENTION] have you ever thought about starting a post on how to mod these watches? I think it would generate a lot of interest.

I don't know....my Mako XL gets allot of wrist time and its shortened my list of desirables quite a bit.
Pragmatic fellow that I am :thumbup1:

The biggest number of my watches that get regular wrist time are Invicta's. I last purchased any watch in December 2012 - a Invicta Grand Diver (3046) with a Miyota 8215 (47 mm)

Others that get regular time
Pro Diver 9743 on alligator (40 mm)
Pro Diver 6059 - now on NATO (47 mm)
Pro Diver 10494 bracelet (43 mm)
Ocean Diver 12124 (45 mm)
Russian Diver GMT Limited Racing Edition 0060 - now on NATO (52 mm)
Sea Hunter (lefty) 1546 (50 mm)

Stuhrling Original
Winchester Plaza (40x40 mm-wears like a 45 mm)
Alpine Renegade (45 mm)

There are others that get regular time as well....

Oh, and I have small wrists too. (6.5-6.75 inches) The 50+ are pushing it, which is why I only have two. And they get less wrist time than anything in the 40-47 mm range (2/8 or 10/4 measurement)

The Russian Diver has an enormous crown cover. Easily adds 5-10 mm to the 3/9 measurement.

Top Bottom