What's new

My brothers xmas present...

Hey guys,

I can't get enough of wet shaving but this post is not going to be about me. The holidays are coming up and I was thinking about possible gift ideas for my brother when I had the great idea to get him started on wet shaving.

I was thinking I'd get him a Tech from ebay since they're cheap and are a good, mild, beginners razor. That way, if he doesn't like it I can always acquire his tech and it wasn't a huge waste of money.

My problem, though, is that there are so many choices out there. Should I try and go for a 40's tech, or would a 50's model be better. Should I buy a plated tech or try and get a silver one? Ball end or triangular grooves?

Any help much appreciated!

I'll def take a look at a few superseeds.

Yea I'm planning on getting him a cheap omega boar brush, a blade sampler pack, and possibly a soap (was thinking of picking up a puck of williams from the local supermarket).

I don't want to overdo it though just in case he doesn't like it. He's not the type of person to really jump into something like I am. Instead he sort of tries stuff out then gradually loses interest in it over time. Hopefully that will not be the case here though :001_cool:

Yea I'm planning on getting him a cheap omega boar brush, a blade sampler pack, and possibly a soap (was thinking of picking up a puck of williams from the local supermarket).

I don't want to overdo it though just in case he doesn't like it. He's not the type of person to really jump into something like I am. Instead he sort of tries stuff out then gradually loses interest in it over time. Hopefully that will not be the case here though :001_cool:

Pick up a Puck of Van der Hagen Glycerin instead of Williams. Same price, but a lot nicer. I agree about the Badger bush over the Boar also.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I got my baby bro a silvertip brush (and stand) for his 40th BDay (coming up tomorrow). He uses a mult-blade monster and finger-smears canned goo on his face, holding onto a blade for 3+ weeks because of cost but buthering his face as a result. With 2 you kids, he says that he doesn't have the time to spend 20-30 mins shaving and knowing my nephews, i believe him :001_smile At least he's willing to try a brush and some normal creams and i think the better prep will help him out a bit.

Superspeed would be a great starter razor and wouldn't be intimidating.

I've used a black tip for the first time this week (feather blade) and it was almost like there was no blade there although it did a great job.

Its a bit too mild for my liking but I cant see it intimidating anyone.

Agree that adding a brush and soap would make this a great gift.

Are you sure he'll be okay with a vintage razor? There are plenty of folks who aren't into the shaving scene who may be put off with something as 'intimate' as a razor that's been used by someone else.

Something new like a Muhle R41 may be a safer choice?

Are you sure he'll be okay with a vintage razor? There are plenty of folks who aren't into the shaving scene who may be put off with something as 'intimate' as a razor that's been used by someone else.

Something new like a Muhle R41 may be a safer choice?

That or an R89 or a EJ DE86/87/89/89L.

I like the Omega Boar brush myself.. I use one quite a bit. The tech is a nice razor and either a 40's or 50's one should be just fine. I would suggest the VDH soap over the Williams .I think that it's much easier to obtain a lather from VDH (just my opinion). Also you might consider RSC(Real Shaving Company) shaving cream found at most pharmacies. As always YMMV.

Top Bottom